Is replacing my filter medias worth it?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so my aquatop tank came with 8 oz of quartz rings, phosphate and nitrate remover cubes, and carbon infused cubes and I'm wondering if I should replace them each month because the instructions say so or even replace them at all? It's like month 4 or 5 of having the tank. If not should I replace them with another kind? Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey, so my aquatop tank came with 8 oz of quartz rings, phosphate and nitrate remover cubes, and carbon infused cubes and I'm wondering if I should replace them each month because the instructions say so or even replace them at all? It's like month 4 or 5 of having the tank. If not should I replace them with another kind? Thanks
Yes as they can lose their capacity and send nitrate and phosphate back into the tank
6-8 weeks should be sufficient for use

OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes as they can lose their capacity and send nitrate and phosphate back into the tank
6-8 weeks should be sufficient for use
But would you say it's worth it to replace them since it seems as it will be kind of expensive. Also should I just take them out now to throw them away? Final question is if I remove them could that affect the bacteria in any way.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
But would you say it's worth it to replace them since it seems as it will be kind of expensive. Also should I just take them out now to throw them away? Final question is if I remove them could that affect the bacteria in any way.
Should not affect bacteria and truly regarding replacing - monitor your water through testing. If phosphate and nitrate are down, no need to add them until needed and chemipure blue will do the same or better job at a lower cost

OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should not affect bacteria and truly regarding replacing - monitor your water through testing. If phosphate and nitrate are down, no need to add them until needed and chemipure blue will do the same or better job at a lower cost
so once my last tray of media runs out should I just only use one of them and fill it with the chemipure?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Activated carbon is the only real 'essential' and you don't need to use any specific brand, just use a reputable brand that is phosphate free.

Just put some in a filter bag.

If you do regular weekly 10-20% water changes that should be all you need.

Monitor Nitrate and Phosphates and if necessary add other filter materials.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
so once my last tray of media runs out should I just only use one of them and fill it with the chemipure?
Why not - yes

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 79 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back