Is RO/DI water necessary? Can I use the same system for drinking water?

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 40 gallon fish only tank. Is RO/DI water necessary? I am guessing so.

The closest place to me that sells RO/DI water is just under an hour away. With my schedule that isn't going to happen often and I don't have much room to store just-in-case water. So sooner than later I will end up getting an RO/DI system. We have also talked about getting a kitchen water filtration system for drinking and cooking water. Can I get an RO/DI system for the aquarium that I can also drink from?

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt suggest you buy it from a store. Just buy the filter. They arent that expensive. If you're choking on that expense, I would suggest a re-evaluation of the hobby.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes get an RODI system. I would not use it for drinking water. The amount wasted and the filters you'd go through wouldn't be worth it.

Upvote 0

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and yes.

Just grab yourself a storage tank for RO water. Plumb it correctly and you can have a storage tank of RO water for drinking and RO/DI for the tank.

Upvote 0

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, welcome to R2R!

You can definitely use one system for both. A good place to look at the options is SpectraPure.com. They even have diagrams for typical setups and will be happy to work with you to get you what you need.

They both start out as an RO system. Basically the differences between a drinking water system and an aquarium water system comes down to a drinking water system has a pressure bladder (storage tank) and air gap faucet to deliver the drinking water under pressure and an aquarium system has a DI unit for final polishing of the water that is not used in a drinking water system. It is not hard to plumb an arrangement that provides both. Some drinking water systems also provide a re-mineralization cartridge to put a little hardness back into the water for flavor but that is optional. Almost any basic 4-stage RODI unit can be converted to provide both types of water.

It is common here in Arizona to buy a house pre-plumbed for an under sink RO unit to hook to the refrigerator water line because our water is so hard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water that would remove water from you body, please elaborate.

It will strip electrons from your extracellular fluid which dehydrates you because it is devoid of all electrons when you drink it it strips the electrons to maintain homeostasis.

A little isn't going to do any harm, but if you drink enough of it it will lead to dehydration.

Upvote 0

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the same reason you don't use metal piping with RODI is why it is not advised to drink it. RODI is corrosive in nature because of it's purity. It strips and leaches out anything it can.

Upvote 0

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confusing advise here.

A Reverse Osmosis filter makes perfectly acceptable drinking water. Boats with a watermaker use this method to generate drinking water from salt water. Many small island populations rely entirely on this technology.

I've been drinking RO filtered water for many years. It's fine.

If you put in a dual purpose water filtration system, like mine, you'll get clean, filtered RO water for drinking, cooking, crystal clear ice, etc... and you'll have a good source of RO water that can be passed through a DI filter for your tank.

Deionization, or DI, is a separate stage (sometimes several), that the water passes through before entering your tank. Think of it as a final polish, getting rid of the last few contaminates that the RO filter missed.

You can drink RO/DI water, but it's a waste of money. Your own body is quite capable of dealing with whatever the RO filter might have left behind, and DI resins are expensive.

So... RO for drinking water, generally, I use a pressure tank to store RO water for kitchen use. Tee off a line from there to pass through a DI setup (mine is a three stage DI), and from there to your ATO system, mixing station, whatever.

Try AirWaterIce.com, their Dual Home/Reef system is what mine is based on, though I've upgraded it from what it was originally.

Upvote 0

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It will strip electrons from your extracellular fluid which dehydrates you because it is devoid of all electrons when you drink it it strips the electrons to maintain homeostasis.

A little isn't going to do any harm, but if you drink enough of it it will lead to dehydration.

I understand that it will strip minerals as in its pure form is very reactive but to dehydrate, not sure.

There was a thread about this a while back

Upvote 0

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confusing advise here.

A Reverse Osmosis filter makes perfectly acceptable drinking water. Boats with a watermaker use this method to generate drinking water from salt water. Many small island populations rely entirely on this technology.

If you put in a dual purpose water filtration system, like mine, you'll get clean, filtered RO water for drinking, cooking, crystal clear ice, etc... and you'll have a good source of RO water that can be passed through a DI filter for your tank.

Deionization, or DI, is a separate stage (sometimes several), that the water passes through before entering your tank. Think of it as a final polish, getting rid of the last few contaminates that the RO filter missed.

You can drink RO/DI water, but it's a waste of money. Your own body is quite capable of dealing with whatever the RO filter might have left behind, and DI resins are expensive.

So... RO for drinking water, generally, I use a pressure tank to store RO water for kitchen use. Tee off a line from there to pass through a DI setup (mine is a three stage DI), and from there to your ATO system, mixing station, whatever.

Try AirWaterIce.com, their Dual Home/Reef system is what mine is based on, though I've upgraded it from what it was originally.
Thanks, that was what I was trying to say but guess I didn't say it very well.

Upvote 0

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confusing advise here.

RO water is perfectly fine to drink. It was never said that it wasn't.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back