Is RTN/STN worse than it used to be??

Is RTN/STN more common than it used to be?

• Yes! I (and/or my friends) have experienced it more than it used happen.

Votes: 81 23.1%
  • No. I think it's about the same.

Votes: 112 32.0%
  • No. It's actually less common than it used to be.

Votes: 34 9.7%
  • I've never experienced RTN/STN.

Votes: 35 10.0%
  • What's RTN/STN?

Votes: 88 25.1%

• Total voters

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
RTN/STN is one of the worst nightmares for a reefer. You finally get that awesome coral you just have to have, you get it acclimated and added to your tank, you stare at it before you go to bed... ;Shamefullyembarrased ...then you get up the next day and...the flesh has melted away.

Anthony Anderson Reaction GIF

Unfortunately, RTN/STN is one of those dreaded horrors that can happen...but does it happen more than it used to??? What's your experience??

1) Have you experienced RTN/STN??
2) Do you believe it to be more common or less common than it used to be?
3) Why do you think that is?

A frag of Red Dragon acro with RTN.
Photo by @pluikens
IMG_20180627_215547.jpg

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rapid tissue necrosis and slow tissue necrosis is mostly connected to a failure in parameters or equipment in my opinion, if the results of the pole shows that is happening more often then we should look in getting back to KISS.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I dont think it is more common. I almost never experience it. I did have a recent online order that 8 of the 21 acro frags RTNed the same day which was very unusual, but I cant remember the last time I had an RTN/STN event that was not a recently shipped frag.

I do (thankfully) think that pests are much less common on SPS now. 20 years ago it seemed most of my RTN/STN events coincided with treating for AEFW or red bugs (probably related to the treatment more than the pests).

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it to be more bacterial in my system.
I have had a few that I could trace back to disco mushrooms that detatch and land on corals either killing them out right or causing an stn event.
That said my system has been very stable for over 2 years now.
This just occured and appears to have stopped for now. About 3 days worth then it stopped.
Every other coral is fine. May have been stressed by a urchin as I have seen them on top of my green slimer and surf and turf causing damage, chewing on, but they have since healed.
20210927_142710.jpg

20211016_131340.jpg

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and if you haven't yet you will at some point... I'm gonna have to disagree with the statement above you cannot get stn rtn from just "poor parameters" or "improper care" or faulty equipment...although these dont cause stn rtn by themselves as rtn stn is a protozoa that attaches itself to the mucus layer and attacks within, being in unstable parameters and not providing the propper feeding lighting flow etc it will decline rapidly if in already compromised health

2) Do you believe it to be more common or less common than it used to be?
No, if anything I believe it has gotten better for hobbiest and wholesalers alike now with the rapid advancement of technology we have dips, amino acids, programable lighting, programmable flow which wasnt readily available 10-20 years ago we pretty much had to sacrifice the piece and pray that It wouldnt spread to nearby pieces
3) Why do you think that is?

With the age of information, we as reefers can easily connect with others who are dealing with the same problems and find corrections and correlations to find a solution or outcome that may remediate the coral

Sometimes you can win the battle other times you will be defeated with a tail tucked between your legs... rember business is savage and deceptive marketing techniques are used in order to Increase revenue, as wholesaler sell you the hobbiest their problems before it spreads... rember these people are not your friend they're out to make money, know the difference between a real quality wholesaler or brick and mortar lfs, and a coral chop shop, and dont buy from these people, support those in which intention are pure and those who do it for the love not the money or you'll generally get stuck with someone else's problems whether, algae, bacteria, pests, etc

Also a way to combat rtn is to dip all pieces in iodine weekly and rx

And to ensure optimum health on acros dose amino acids once a week and feed reefroids after the polyps are extended from the amino feeding

With coral rx, revive, lugols iodine we now have a strong defense against pest and disease

Back in the day you only had iodine for bacteria, witchhazel, for algaes and certain pest and Bayer for redbugs, nudis and any pest with chittin based exoskele

Hope this input helps and rember it happens to everyone some people are just ashamed to admit it I've lossedthousand over the years but this loss is a learning curve and attributes to your growth as a person and make you a better reefer in the long run

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for those of you looking for more information on the subject and how to stop it there is a whole website that explain what it is how we get it and how to stomp it in its track thanks to demarks marine biologists

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And for those of you looking for more information on the subject and how to stop it there is a whole website that explain what it is how we get it and how to stomp it in its track thanks to demarks marine biologists

Good stuff!

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleaching can occur too which is different than rtn stn many beginners bleach their sticks and say its stn rtn... nope it got bleached... which is where temp is 2 degrees too high or too low(rapid change fast) a shift in salinity, cal and mag are off dkh was too high and the coral was just pt in not drip acclimated(if your alk is high and the wholesalers was 8.2)

Also known as ocean acidification in nature,

It's easy to acidify a coral unknowingly and think its rtn stn ask me how I know

If too many rapid changes happen fast it will die a slow painful death or affect coral health in the longrun

Attachments

• download (2).jpeg
    download (2).jpeg
    16.3 KB · Views: 173

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Unfortunately, you can only treat frags or corals that are not attached to your rock work. So how do you treat colonies?

BadSquishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Interesting for sure… the 2015 paper cited at the bottom of the website says they cannot conclusively say these ciliates are the cause of STN/RTN though. Remember correlation does not equal causation. Do you know if they did a follow-up study? It’d be interesting to read what they found.

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't seem to be more or less common. IMO, 2 causes:

1) a cut frag that just doesn't take. Might hang on without growth for a few days, then turns white overnight.
2) a colony that grows too big or dense for the flow in the tank - very common with Red Dragon. Looks great and grows great until the whole thing suddenly dies and turns white.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, I experienced RTN and it's pretty shocking to see. The idea that an SPS coral can just shed all it's tissue is wild. In my case the event was due to an order of frags arriving in cold leaking bags. Overnight a montipora spongodes had brown nasty stuff flowing from it with a bare skeleton left behind. The acroporas simply turned white, with holes left where polyps should be. Of a dozen frags I saved 3 by clipping the last living tips from them.

77eran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rapid tissue necrosis and slow tissue necrosis is mostly connected to a failure in parameters or equipment in my opinion, if the results of the pole shows that is happening more often then we should look in getting back to KISS.
+1
I had it few times and it appears to be lighting problem (Very low PAR)

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RTN STN are unusually due to something I've done wrong (so hopefully it happens less than it did in the past). Brown Jelly Disease on the other hand just happens some times regardless of what I do and it seems to be more common than it was in the past.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I had RTN/STN but all my frogspawn and hammer corals died (slowly). Matter a fact almost all the corals in my tank I've lost except palys and gsp that is barely hanging on. Tank just hit two year mark was doing amazing well till it wasn't.

Mick51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like sometimes no matter what you do,how good things are.. acros will give you the bird and in 2-3 days….

Attachments

• B3C36332-DA06-4BD4-B1B7-FE56EAD5DC82.png
    B3C36332-DA06-4BD4-B1B7-FE56EAD5DC82.png
    427.9 KB · Views: 165
  • A5458026-6F8A-4378-B7A7-98A02F27DC21.jpeg
    A5458026-6F8A-4378-B7A7-98A02F27DC21.jpeg
    259.8 KB · Views: 122

Apollomax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive ignorance but what is KIsS?

Back