Is Ruby Reef Rally sufficient treatment for marine velvet?

Squanto Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too just got hit by velvet and lost 16 of 19 fish. 2 wrasses and a humu remain in the QT. Treated the QT with copper and acriflavin, not ruby reef rally, straight acriflavin. All 3 doing great. Left the snow flake in the DT as they don't have gills and are unaffected.

My question is how do you know when the DT is ready? Hate to lose another $900.00 in fish.

OP
OP
aykwm

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too just got hit by velvet and lost 16 of 19 fish. 2 wrasses and a humu remain in the QT. Treated the QT with copper and acriflavin, not ruby reef rally, straight acriflavin. All 3 doing great. Left the snow flake in the DT as they don't have gills and are unaffected.

My question is how do you know when the DT is ready? Hate to lose another $900.00 in fish.

Im so sorry for your loss. Usually fallow period for DT is 6 weeks, so by then it must be clear of velvet, but its better to remove the snowflake, even if they aren't effected, they might still host it which means the DT will still have marine velvet even after 6 weeks. Im not expert on snowflake, so an expert can tell you if it host velvet or not.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say much about treating eels - I'm just not familiar enough with their special needs - but they are certainly fish, and they've certainly got gills!

Fallow period for velvet is, indeed six weeks - though you can go 76 days if you want to ensure that ich is out of the display as well.

~Bruce

P.S. - Welcome to Reef2Reef, Squanto Joe - I'm sorry that your arrival involves such difficult circumstances!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fish have an infection and need antibiotic treatment asap! This has to be done in a QT. They may very wel have flukes in addition to velvet, but you need to remove these fish now and start treating with kanaplex + furan2 + kanaplex along with the copper.

OP
OP
aykwm

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fish have an infection and need antibiotic treatment asap! This has to be done in a QT. They may very wel have flukes in addition to velvet, but you need to remove these fish now and start treating with kanaplex + furan2 + kanaplex along with the copper.

Will do, what about the wrasses, should I leave them in the tank? Its really difficult to remove them

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do, what about the wrasses, should I leave them in the tank? Its really difficult to remove them

No, remove all the fish. If you are going to treat some and cure them of velvet and the other problems, then you wouldn't want to dump them back into a tank that has velvet in it. They will just get sick again. There's no point unless you go fallow in the tank and get rid of the velvet.

OP
OP
aykwm

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, Ill catch the tang and the fox face now since they are sleeping outside. Ill wait till the noon to remove all the rocks to remove the rest of the fish.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fish have an infection and need antibiotic treatment asap! This has to be done in a QT. They may very well have flukes in addition to velvet, but you need to remove these fish now and start treating with kanaplex + furan2 + kanaplex along with the copper.

Kanaplex + Furan-2 + Metroplex?

~B.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kanaplex + Furan-2 + Metroplex?

~B.

Yes. We call it the triple threat. lol This combo is safe to use together and offers the widest spectrum of antibiotics we can muster.

OP
OP
aykwm

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the replies. I am happy to tell you that my fish are doing great now, the clouding is almost gone, one eye still has it but its almost clear, the coloration has returned and I have around 4 spots remaining on the tang I believe the cyst is gone but its just the marks of where it used to be. The fin rot stopped completely and it seems to be healing up.

Now I want to experiment if I completely got rid of the parasites in the tank. I am thinking of buying a tang and do the TTM with prazipro to ensure it is free of ich, velvet and flukes, and then introduce it to the tank to check if the diseases still exist. I chose tang because they have very thin slime coat and from what I understand they are ich magnets, and I assume velvet magnets as well. The question is, after doing that how long should I observe the tang for. I am certainly worried the most about velvet. The velvet I had seems to have 2-3 days life cycle as after the first and major wipe out I lost another few fish within 2-3 days and 5-6 days. So after the quarantine period, should I assume that if 3 days passed and the tang showed no signs of velvet my tank is clear of it?
For ich I think I don't have it since no fish showed any sign of it so far, although they are a bit stressed from medication they didn't show any sign, should I assume there is no ich or it might be present but fish didn't show any sign yet? and finally for flukes I think prazipro is effective treatment for it, I'm already dosing the DT and will dose during QT.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could just purchase a freshwater black molly and transfer it over to saltwater yourself. Put it in the display and it will pretty quickly show signs of anything in the tank. The black color makes it easier to spot and the fact that it has never been exposed to any of the saltwater parasites will make it easy pick'ns for any lurking parasites in the tank.

OP
OP
aykwm

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could just purchase a freshwater black molly and transfer it over to saltwater yourself. Put it in the display and it will pretty quickly show signs of anything in the tank. The black color makes it easier to spot and the fact that it has never been exposed to any of the saltwater parasites will make it easy pick'ns for any lurking parasites in the tank.

Sounds like great idea, so after doing this I should observe it for around 3 days correct?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like great idea, so after doing this I should observe it for around 3 days correct?

A week is better, but yeah... that's the idea. You should see something pop up on him in that time, but you have to watch him very closely.

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update*

I am sure they have flukes, but maybe its a mild case (probably because of the medication in the tank).

I was checking the aquarium and around 5 hitchhiker worms were there. 4 of them were bristle worms, but one was completely different. It is white, 1/2 inch in length and looks like it has jaws maybe. It doesn't have legs, and it wiggles its body for movement. I tried to take a picture of it but it was blurry and then after a while it hid back in the live rock, but it was moving so aggressively that I think its dyeing.

I found my tang sleeping outside next to the front corner, so I decided to give it a try and catch it to do FW dip in order to confirm flukes. I did 5 min dip and then returned it to the tank to continue treatment. I was looking through the bucket and found what seem to be few salt particles, I'm not sure what they are. In addition to that, I found 3-4 flukes at the bottom of the bucket. After the dip the tang still has cloudy eyes, the color became pale (probably because of the stress and the fact it was sleeping prior to the dip), but so far its swimming normally and breathing is still rapid, but a bit slower than before the dip.

This is a picture of the fox face, couldn't catch him to do fw dip on him. If any one can help with the symptoms. The discoloration is because he is sleeping, during the day he shows normal coloration (Black body and yellow tail).

WIjGeQU.jpg

Thanks again for your help ;) appreciate it
Is this velvet on the Foxface?

Back