Is salinity too high?

Cigarman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have a new biocube 32 filled with saltwater from my local LFS. I have been checking salinity daily with a Hanna salinity tester. Since day 1 it has been 1.027 after first few days i questioned my LFS owner who is very knowledgeable i thought it might be too high. He said no that was fine as long as it remains constant. Should i add some distilled water to lower it since i don’t have RODI. Or should i not worry about it.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.027 is not off the charts some people run it that high but 1.025 ro 1.026 seems ideal so I would add the distilled water you have and get it down to 1.026.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an RODI asap. My LFS also sells what ever water I need. Which I used for a while. However in the long run it will cost you more and be less available in an emergency. Even distilled water isn't usually 0 TDS. My first RODI cost me around 70 or 80$. Worked fine for a while just for top off water. Since then I purchased the BRS 5 stage RODI and couldn't be happier. Even comes with a tester to make sure water is 0 TDS

mosertree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have a new biocube 32 filled with saltwater from my local LFS. I have been checking salinity daily with a Hanna salinity tester. Since day 1 it has been 1.027 after first few days i questioned my LFS owner who is very knowledgeable i thought it might be too high. He said no that was fine as long as it remains constant. Should i add some distilled water to lower it since i don’t have RODI. Or should i not worry about it.
I have just the opposite problem. I’ve been getting water from the LFS that test 1.021 I finally questioned them today and they said they don’t like to over salt their water. I would like to have my tank closer to 1.025

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS will keep their salinity low for pest reasons. I was having mine taking care of my tank maintenance for a while and noticed the same thing. Over 2 of my own water changes I brought it back up to 35ppm

mosertree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS will keep their salinity low for pest reasons. I was having mine taking care of my tank maintenance for a while and noticed the same thing. Over 2 of my own water changes I brought it back up to 35ppm
Should I add some salt or just use their saltwater to top off the tank over the next week or so?

mosertree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing it would be best in long run to make my own or would you continue to buy theirs and just add some more salt to it before adding it to the tank. I don’t own one of those RODI systems so I’ve been just buying all my water from them.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an RODI asap. My LFS also sells what ever water I need. Which I used for a while. However in the long run it will cost you more and be less available in an emergency. Even distilled water isn't usually 0 TDS. My first RODI cost me around 70 or 80$. Worked fine for a while just for top off water. Since then I purchased the BRS 5 stage RODI and couldn't be happier. Even comes with a tester to make sure water is 0 TDS
I absolutely agree with this. I got my 5 stage RODI from Amazon for $140. Add in the cost of the salt, $49 for a 5 gallon bucket, and it will pay for itself within 6 months over buying pre-made from the LFS. Plus you have the added benefit of controlling exactly what you are putting into your tank.

mosertree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely agree with this. I got my 5 stage RODI from Amazon for $140. Add in the cost of the salt, $49 for a 5 gallon bucket, and it will pay for itself within 6 months over buying pre-made from the LFS. Plus you have the added benefit of controlling exactly what you are putting into your tank.
A 5 gal of pre made saltwater from my LFS is $7.25

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was one lfs I used to go to when I first started reefing hobby .
they insisted the only tanks they used rodi on was their display tank . Everything else they used municipal water .
The fish system was 1.020 the coral system was 1.023 and they said it cost too much to mix it to 1.026

that same lfs I refuse to shop there as the manager is a arrogant meat head that thinks he poops silver nuggets
will argue anything even after being proved wrong

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was one lfs I used to go to when I first started reefing hobby .
they insisted the only tanks they used rodi on was their display tank . Everything else they used municipal water .
The fish system was 1.020 the coral system was 1.023 and they said it cost too much to mix it to 1.026

that same lfs I refuse to shop there as the manager is a arrogant meat head that thinks he poops silver nuggets
will argue anything even after being proved wrong
You from michigan?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If going to try and bring up your salinity it's best to do through water changes slowly. Mixing salt takes 12 hours or so to mix completely. Keep doing your regular water changes at a slightly higher salinity. Slowly bringing it up to where you want it. The current salinity won't damage as much as a large swing in parameters.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the same way with my RUGF system. I just did my first water change since the rona took over

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do. Sounds like the same guy

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam, owner of Battlecorals, runs his at 1,027-1.029, and no one can say his corals aren't thriving:

Turnage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a fellow biocube32 reefer you need to get your own r o d i system and stop buying water from your lfs. In the medium to long run it is cheaper to have your own system. With almost $2,000 worth of coral and fish in my BioCube I am not going to trust a lfs water. Oh also, 1.027 is just fine. Lots of reefers on this forum run high salinity in their system...like me.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back