Is setting up a reef tank good for me?

harleyshoecrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an extra 10 gallon tank sitting around and I was wondering if I should set up a saltwater tank. I've done a good amount of research but I definitely realize that saltwater is in a league of its own and there is still a massive amount of info that I do not know. I understand cycling coming from freshwater and I've researched live rock/sand, different types of filtration, stocking and feeding. I'm going away to college in August where I would be able to take the tank but from what I've heard it's not the best idea to have a fish tank in college esp a reef tank. So, if I were to set everything up now I could have the tank until around the end of July at which I'd need to break it down and sell most everything. Currently I have the time to spend an hour or so a day with the tank and even more on the weekends, so that's not my biggest problem. What I was wondering is would it be a good idea to set up a reef tank now only to tear it down in 6-7 months time? And would it be doable under a few hundred dollars? From my understanding a HOB filter with a protein skimmer is enough and a secondhand light is probably the biggest part of the budget, since my parents would help with the cost of livestock. Should I stick to freshwater or is now just as good as ever to jump into saltwater?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait until youre settled in your dorm or housing. Then let er rip!
That being said, some beginners find stock biocubes work very well in dorms. They are very fun to set up as a first tank too :)

Stock lighting is sufficent for a lot of hardy beginner soft corals.

Upvote 0
Back