Is shading BS?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not just leds, back long ago shading was an issue with only MH too, plus back then most the sps you got were colonies by today’s standards which magnified the issues.

When you have nice clean sand or glass there imo is enough reflection on smaller colonies to prevent issues, but with large colonies shading is an issue but with every light source if they get large enough - same with flow. We just don’t have many people that have that large of colonies.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not just leds, back long ago shading was an issue with only MH too, plus back then most the sps you got were colonies by today’s standards which magnified the issues.

When you have nice clean sand or glass there imo is enough reflection on smaller colonies to prevent issues, but with large colonies shading is an issue but with every light source if they get large enough - same with flow. We just don’t have many people that have that large of colonies.
Very good point.
It really depends on the fixture. A small pendant or or large reflector. Doesn’t matter the emitter , mh or led, it’s the design.

I have one MH pedant that will set stuff in fire it’s so focused , and one that is dead smooth.

Both cost the same amount back in the day.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good point.
It really depends on the fixture. A small pendant or or large reflector. Doesn’t matter the emitter , mh or led, it’s the design.

I have one MH pedant that will set stuff in fire it’s so focused , and one that is dead smooth.

Both cost the same amount back in the day.
Yea I think that’s the biggest thing too. The reflector.

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
38685860124_d88fe92a9d_h.jpg

25523769988_e015f09b47_h.jpg

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question, I have started noticing shading on my sps as they have gotten larger, they are still growing nicely but the bases definitely are shading, hoping the diffusers for radions help with it.

20180101_213350.jpg

20180101_213320.jpg

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most big colonies die off more because of less flow than less light

I tend to think this is the larger issue because if it were the shading (solely), the size of the coral wouldn't matter (absence of light is absence of light regardless of size).

Shading is an issue. I added T5's to deal with my shadowing.

What was your issue with shading? Were you simply attempting to reduce shadows or did you attribute die off in shaded areas directly to the lighting?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get/borrow a used MH reflector and shine your kessil up into it and turn the power up 5% to handle the drop. This has terrible aesthetic, but you will be amazed at how many different parts of your coral get hit. If we put a LumenMax Elite, for example, over a Kessil tank, there are lines of demarcation on every coral that look different instantly - like somebody drew on them with a marker where the light-line was.

If this thread is still active the next time that I got to one of the local shops, I will take some photos of a 180G lit with 3 kessils. They have mostly MBP&S that are in the 12 to 16 inch range and every single one of them is dead on the bottom. They really love to sell the Kessils and their typical line is that the death is perfectly normal. :(

Don't underestimate that larger colonies make light even less available in the middle than smaller ones. Personally, I think that you will have a different opinion of this when you have 6 to 8 inch colonies with hundreds of branches.

Last edited:

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your issue with shading? Were you simply attempting to reduce shadows or did you attribute die off in shaded areas directly to the lighting?
Die off in shaded areas over time and loss of color in the shaded areas.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't seen, in person, a mature tank lit with MH and T5 (or even VHO!) you have no idea what you are missing from LEDs. Just saying.

P.S., in other words, it's like trying to compare apples and oranges, but you've never seen an apple. ;)
Good analogy. I have to remember that one lol.

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't seen, in person, a mature tank lit with MH and T5 (or even VHO!) you have no idea what you are missing from LEDs. Just saying.

P.S., in other words, it's like trying to compare apples and oranges, but you've never seen an apple. ;)

I'm not sure what that has to do with shade being the sole contributing factor to the die off of corals in effected areas but, OK. The post has nothing to do with what lights you like better, what corals like better, or what colors or growth patterns come from different sources. For what it's worth, I setup my first reef in '96 - lit with VHO - that was in constant operation until '09. I've seen a tank or two :)

Edit: The original post was a question, not a statement.

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what that has to do with shade being the sole contributing factor to the die off of corals in effected areas but, OK. The post has nothing to do with what lights you like better, what corals like better, or what colors or growth patterns come from different sources. For what it's worth, I setup my first reef in '96 - lit with VHO - that was in constant operation until '09. I've seen a tank or two :)

Edit: The original post was a question, not a statement.

I understand. But I don't think that it is possible to put your finger on ONE contributing factor. I think it has to be a multitude of factors, including lighting, flow, and water chemistry. But as someone mentioned earlier, the photo you posted earlier shows low PE in the shaded area. For whatever reason it is doing it, we know that the flow and water chemistry at that location is the same as the rest of the coral, only difference being the lack of light. I would suspect that as the coral gets larger, that area of low PE may die off due to lack of contribution of energy to the coral as a whole. The growth may stop there so that the coral can invest the energy in other areas the meat the trifecta of light, flow, and water chemistry. Just a thought, I'm only a hobbiest. :)

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand. But I don't think that it is possible to put your finger on ONE contributing factor. I think it has to be a multitude of factors, including lighting, flow, and water chemistry. But as someone mentioned earlier, the photo you posted earlier shows low PE in the shaded area. For whatever reason it is doing it, we know that the flow and water chemistry at that location is the same as the rest of the coral, only difference being the lack of light. I would suspect that as the coral gets larger, that area of low PE may die off due to lack of contribution of energy to the coral as a whole. The growth may stop there so that the coral can invest the energy in other areas the meat the trifecta of light, flow, and water chemistry. Just a thought, I'm only a hobbiest. :)

Flow would be a bit different in that area as it is blocked from the pump (due to aquascaping) on the opposite side of the tank; I would think it to be rather inconsequential overall though (two MP40wES running speed step 10 of 12 on a 75g).

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my LFS uses Kessil and although there SPS grew very fast into colonies they looked funny with no polyps on the bottom side of the branches.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back