is starting a copepod and phytoplankton culture hard?

leonardomanzano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the outdoor pod culture method and it's super easy. Set it up and that's about it. Just need to add a little food and top off water every now and again.

I used tigger pods when starting my culture. I'm not sure how it works using a mix of pods like that. I would assume one would end up dominating and taking over the culture, but I'm not sure.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the outdoor pod culture method and it's super easy. Set it up and that's about it. Just need to add a little food and top off water every now and again.

I used tigger pods when starting my culture. I'm not sure how it works using a mix of pods like that. I would assume one would end up dominating and taking over the culture, but I'm not sure.
what do you use for food? I assume you're not feeding the pods phyto.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy phytoplankton or culture it
Yes I do know that. I was wondering what @LeftyReefer is using as pod food. There is a thread where posters are using banana peel as the food source

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Culturing phytoplankton is easy. There is periodic maintenance. You should ideally have two cultures brewing so that you can take from one and seed another or have backup if one crashes. Theoretically the Ocean Magick should work, but it's a mixed culture and as stated above typically one species ends up dominant.

I would recommend Nannochloropsis as an easy phyto culture. It can be stored for weeks in the fridge with shaking once harvested. I plan on restarting a culture but using Isochrysis galbana as I like its nutrient profile, and I want to see how my sps react.

Most phyto cultures use Guillards F/2 fertilizer, which is not a brand but a recipe. I have also read ex-situ lab controlled studies of alternate carbon sources, like glycerol.

The main things to watch out for are sanitary equipment, proper airflow, appropriate lighting and period cleaning. You also want to avoid exposing the culture to the air too much to prevent bacterial or fungal contamination which can eventually spoil the culture.

If you've watched videos, it's no harder than it looks. :)

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you use for food? I assume you're not feeding the pods phyto.
I started my cultures with a piece of banana peel and some live phyto to start the green water. To feed I either add live phyto, some phyto feast (dead phyto) or spirulina powder. Even pellet food would be OK to feed the culture.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also bought that system. I have 2 for phyto and 1 for pods. I harvest every 5-6 days. 7 days the culture is starting to crash. I think the heat in the house with the 3 tanks so close (those led lights) was overheating things. I put a fan on low during the day and now seem to not crash. I've gotten like 16 harvests since april.

Here are some tips
Harvesting every 5 days really uses up the bags you buy. So I got these from amazon and they seem to work. Not quite as clear as their bags but I've done 2 harvests so far. They are big and cheap. I've also started washing the bags out, turning them inside out to use. 15.00 for 10 bags when you use 2 bags every 5-6 days is costly. I'm also boiling the tubes and saving them to reuse.

For the pods, I don't harvest every week. They stay in the bag/container until the algae is too bad or until it is filled to the top (have to top off with phyto to keep water greenish). What I do when I notice a ton of them, is suck some out with a turkey baster--a super tall glass worth. And then top an inch or so with phyto. And when container full, repeat.

I did buy the pod hotel extra and I don't think I'll get more. It gets clogged with algae and not able to be cleaned. So when I change the bag, I'm going to make sure I get as many pods out and toss. I have an abundance of chaeto so may put a small amt in--maybe in a net for easy removal. I will use the heavier bags for the pods as they stay a good month or longer.

My fridge is half full of phyto and I supply my son in law as well. You may have to restart your culture with fresh (see @Eldredge for your starters) as sometimes they seem to peter out. I've only had to do this once. Well worth the time and effort

20220605_214817.jpg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I culture tisbe copepods. I feed them phytoplankton.

I personally believe that tisbe pods are much better than tigger pods. Tisbe reproduces very fast and naturally stays on the rocks and seeks shelter, while tigger pods tend to just swim around and get eaten. They don’t tend to reproduce well in the tank, and tisbe pods will outcompete them in a culture containing both.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read to put fill container with water from wc and add banana skin. When phytoplankton turns water green add bottle of pods.

I've been growing in a just with airbubbles and phyto.

I'll give the above a go for the next culture

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I culture tisbe copepods. I feed them phytoplankton.

I personally believe that tisbe pods are much better than tigger pods. Tisbe reproduces very fast and naturally stays on the rocks and seeks shelter, while tigger pods tend to just swim around and get eaten. They don’t tend to reproduce well in the tank, and tisbe pods will outcompete them in a culture containing both.
I ended up getting AB's galaxy pods. I didn't realize they were a mix of pods so didn't think the culture would last. but it has been going since June. The jar is swimming with them. I also see them on the rocks at night. Not sure what is what. But was surprised to have it still going strong.
(From their website: Each 16 oz portion of Galaxy Pods contains an ecologically balanced consortium of copepods including Tigriopus, Tisbe, Apocyclops, Oithona, and Euterpina. All of our pods are 100% viable to reproduce in marine aquaria!)

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting AB's galaxy pods. I didn't realize they were a mix of pods so didn't think the culture would last. but it has been going since June. The jar is swimming with them. I also see them on the rocks at night. Not sure what is what. But was surprised to have it still going strong.
(From their website: Each 16 oz portion of Galaxy Pods contains an ecologically balanced consortium of copepods including Tigriopus, Tisbe, Apocyclops, Oithona, and Euterpina. All of our pods are 100% viable to reproduce in marine aquaria!)
What constitutes starting a pod population? I have an area in my sump for a refugium that im not using. Would dumping one bottle of this galaxy pod in there combined with weekly phyto be enough to have a thriving pod population? Or is it much more complicated than that

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What constitutes starting a pod population? I have an area in my sump for a refugium that im not using. Would dumping one bottle of this galaxy pod in there combined with weekly phyto be enough to have a thriving pod population? Or is it much more complicated than that
that is a start. Might add some chaeto for them to hide in. You might also have to add more every few weeks until you start seeing them at night in your display as they won't stay in the refuge. Chaeto might need something like chaeto grow and a refug. light

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good discussion. I've thought about starting my own culture at times.

OP
OP
leonardomanzano

leonardomanzano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you able to post some pictures? I’d love to see them!
unfortunately I doubt I’ll be able to start and outdoor culture for a while as it’s starting to get Little chilly in the mornings over here.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back