Is Syncra SDC 9.0 WIFI Controllable Pump 1000-2500 GPH My only option ?

slaninaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be looking around for a return pump and this is all I can really find for a nice price.

setting up a 75 Gal mixed reefer tank.

From what I can read I should have around 500 GPH turn around on water. I have a 15' Head pressure, Sump right below basement. I would like APEX full control over speed and power.

I know I will only get on/off with the Syncra. Also like low watt DC to save on power bill. The it looks like the COR-20 can not handle the head pressure I need.

Thanks
For your input.
Be kind to me , I am new!!!!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be looking around for a return pump and this is all I can really find for a nice price.

setting up a 75 Gal mixed reefer tank.

From what I can read I should have around 500 GPH turn around on water. I have a 15' Head pressure, Sump right below basement. I would like APEX full control over speed and power.

I know I will only get on/off with the Syncra. Also like low watt DC to save on power bill. The it looks like the COR-20 can not handle the head pressure I need.

Thanks
For your input.
Be kind to me , I am new!!!!

15ft of head pressure is quite a bit, are you going up more than one floor? How are you measuring your head height? Will your sump be on the floor in the basement or on a table/shelf of some kind?

OP
OP
slaninaj

slaninaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15ft of head pressure is quite a bit, are you going up more than one floor? How are you measuring your head height? Will your sump be on the floor in the basement or on a table/shelf of some kind?

floor to ceiling is 9 feet in basement, Floor to bulkhead of tank is 4 feet. I am about 4" above the floor with the return pump.

I though I had to add 1 foot for each 90 which I will have 2. and 1 Tee for 1 foot. so that is 3 feet for them.
I was going to use tubing to save on some more 90 would need 3 more if I use hard pipe.

If need be I can move the sump up a foot.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
floor to ceiling is 9 feet in basement, Floor to bulkhead of tank is 4 feet. I am about 4" above the floor with the return pump.

I though I had to add 1 foot for each 90 which I will have 2. and 1 Tee for 1 foot. so that is 3 feet for them.
I was going to use tubing to save on some more 90 would need 3 more if I use hard pipe.

If need be I can move the sump up a foot.

Is there a particular reason why your sump needs to be on the floor? Typically basement sumps are put on stands or shelves to make maintenance of the sump and equipment MUCH easier. It's one of the huge benefits of having a basement sump.

You also have to account for friction loss ontop of your head height so your total head might actually be even more than 15Ft. Can I ask what the T fitting is for? Is it for dual returns or something else like a manifold?
Head height due to fittings is a little more complicated than just adding a foot. Sometimes that "Rule of thumb" can be much more than the actual restriction a fitting creates.

I will add, a lot of DC pumps grossly overestimate the actual head height they can handle and the flows they achieve at each height. Unless you step up into the higher end pumps (Abyzz or Red Dragon) you might not even be able to achieve the flow you want with the SDC 9.0....

Last edited:
OP
OP
slaninaj

slaninaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know 15ft is a little short and missed friction loss. I have 2 bulkhead 3/4 on each site for 3/4 Return Nozzle, 1 on each side.
I can move the sump up to 3' from the floor , but then what do I do with all the space under the sump ? If I have to will. But I am still in the 12ft to 13ft mark.

OP
OP
slaninaj

slaninaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a particular reason why your sump needs to be on the floor? Typically basement sumps are put on stands or shelves to make maintenance of the sump and equipment MUCH easier. It's one of the huge benefits of having a basement sump.

You also have to account for friction loss ontop of your head height so your total head might actually be even more than 15Ft. Can I ask what the T fitting is for? Is it for dual returns or something else like a manifold?
Head height due to fittings is a little more complicated than just adding a foot. Sometimes that "Rule of thumb" can be much more than the actual restriction a fitting creates.

I will add, a lot of DC pumps grossly overestimate the actual head height they can handle and the flows they achieve at each height. Unless you step up into the higher end pumps (Abyzz or Red Dragon) you might not even be able to achieve the flow you want with the SDC 9.0....

So you think it would be better going to an AC pump like the Pan World 250ps and control the flow with a gate valve ?

Looks like the Iwaki MD55RLT would be the better way for about the same cost.

Last edited:

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the Iwaki for the sole reason you could likely go ten years without touching it.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know 15ft is a little short and missed friction loss. I have 2 bulkhead 3/4 on each site for 3/4 Return Nozzle, 1 on each side.
I can move the sump up to 3' from the floor , but then what do I do with all the space under the sump ? If I have to will. But I am still in the 12ft to 13ft mark.

Sorry somehow I missed your last post earlier today ;Bored Space under the sump can be used for a lot of things, shelving for storage for all your reefing gear. You could extend it and make a work table out of it for somewhere to sit and do all your testing. You could stick some rubbermaid bins under it on wheels and use those for water changes.... the list goes on and on.

12-13' is certainly better than 15-16' there are a few pumps that comfortably could handle that head height depending on the flow you want. That 3 feet could equate to a few hundred gallons an hour more out of any pump. And the reason I asked about the T was to make sure you weren't attempting to run a manifold off of the same return.

Panworld/iwalki/Sequence/MRC pumps are all good external options, some have there drawbacks but a little research will fill you in on those. You might be okay with the 9.0 or the Vectra L2 if you up the return plumbing to say 1 1/2" all the way up to the T and then split it to two 3/4" lines....

OP
OP
slaninaj

slaninaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The specs on the 9.0 are at 16 ft, I would be pushing 1300 GPH which is way more then I think I need. The L2 status would be around 500GPH at 13ft. Even if the 9.0 stats are wrong by 50% It would still be better right .

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back