Is the AI Hydra 52 HD still worth it in 2023?

CowTusks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I have a 4ft 55 gallon (build thread one day...) and have been looking to upgrade from the Current Loop LED Bar that is too small and not strong enough. I have a local seller asking for $300 each for 2 used AI Hydra 52 HD. Everything I've read is positive, eBay sold listings are around that price. As a broke recent college grad, my budget is tight and this feels like a great opportunity. I also plan to try and get both for $500.

Currently I only have soft corals but want to be able to get anything that catches my eye. Been researching what I need to refine for some hammers.

My biggest question is: Is this the right move to make in 2023?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to find out how long the lights were used and at what percent. In the future if they ever need replacing at least these fixtures allow for upgrades in the future with luxdium pucks.
If not the cheapest leds that still work well are probably led bar options. There is the new ai blade led, orphek or3, quanta or if you wanted probably the most bang for the buck led aliexpress led bars

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I have a 4ft 55 gallon (build thread one day...) and have been looking to upgrade from the Current Loop LED Bar that is too small and not strong enough. I have a local seller asking for $300 each for 2 used AI Hydra 52 HD. Everything I've read is positive, eBay sold listings are around that price. As a broke recent college grad, my budget is tight and this feels like a great opportunity. I also plan to try and get both for $500.

Currently I only have soft corals but want to be able to get anything that catches my eye. Been researching what I need to refine for some hammers.

Remember; as long as the AI Hydra 52's are in good working condition, they haven't gotton any worse just because it's now 2023! :D They are just as good as they were when they were released.

Now, can you buy better lights today? Certainly- but if they match your budget they will grow coral very well- even in 2023!

OP
OP
CowTusks

CowTusks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember; as long as the AI Hydra 52's are in good working condition, they haven't gotton any worse just because it's now 2023! :D They are just as good as they were when they were released.

Now, can you buy better lights today? Certainly- but if they match your budget they will grow coral very well- even in 2023!
I absolutely agree with this in principal but wanted to confirm there wasn't something worth spending an extra $50-$100 and be much better off. So many variables in this hobby!

Thank you!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

2 Hydras on full is 270 watts..$600

3 new Maxspect jumps on closeout is 65 x 3 is 195 watts $546

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chime in to recommend ReeFi as well, however they are outside your budget.
A single Duo extreme wouldn't be enough, and if anything it would make a lot more sense to get the new Uno 2.0 Pro model (270W for 480$), but again - you'll need 2 of them over a 4ft tank.

However, if your'e able to find 2 second hand 1st gen Unos (180W each) that fit your budget, they'll be a lot better than the Hydras and would still have at least 1 year warranty left since they were released in 2020 and came with 3-year warranty.

My concerns about the Hydras are their poor build quality and their notorious problems with UV LEDs burning out due to lack of adequate heat transfer and cooling solutions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CowTusks

CowTusks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chime in to recommend ReeFi as well, however they are outside your budget.
A single Duo extreme wouldn't be enough, and if anything it would make a lot more sense to get the new Uno 2.0 Pro model (270W for 480$), but again - you'll need 2 of them over a 4ft tank.

However, if your'e able to find 2 second hand 1st gen Unos (180W each) that fit your budget, they'll be a lot better than the Hydras and would still have at least 1 year warranty left since they were released in 2020 and came with 3-year warranty.

My concerns about the Hydras are their poor build quality and their notorious problems with UV LEDs burning out due to lack of adequate heat transfer and cooling solutions.
Agree on the Reefi ones. Just too much for me at the moment.
I’ve changed my mind on the 52 HD due to their age despite only being run for 2 years. The seller also has a few 32 HD for $275 and I think 2 of those for $500 is a good middle ground. Saving some money but getting a newer and more documented product.
Might add an AI Blade in a year or so if i feel it’s needed.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back