Is the Bulk Reef Supply PAR meter "rental" worth it?

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean if you are going to spend that much... you could just own the USB par meter and connect it to a windows or mac.

I have latest and greatest USB model, it was a few hundred dollars, a bit cheaper than the one the one with the hand held monitor.

I think it is much better than the unit with the handheld monitor because everyone has a computer or laptop and you can operate it with one person much more easily... you just read the numbers on the computer screen without having to do gymnastics trying to hold the hand held device while taking readings...

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a Neptune Apex? The PMK module is only $299 I believe.
I am considering buying this. I have a full apex tank so It would work well. Does it load par levels pretty fast? Or do you have to leave the senser in a spot for a while before you get a reading?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering buying this. I have a full apex tank so It would work well. Does it load par levels pretty fast? Or do you have to leave the senser in a spot for a while before you get a reading?
The PAR readings are more or less instantaneous. You can move it around and it returns new readings in seconds.

psott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An LFS in the GTA will rent you a PAR Meter for $30 for 2 days maybe check around local stores?

diverdown14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a handle with 1 in pvc pipe and a 45deg fitting. I cut a slot at the bottom, drilled a hole and attached the par sensor. The cable goes inside the pipe. I can take a pic when I get home if interested.

IMO it's best to buy the sensor direct from Apogee. Mine is the mid-level one w/usb which cost like $400 iirc and should be calibrated yearly, but I use it often enough to justify the expense. If you have a reef club in your area someone has one you can borrow or go in on one with a handful of local reefers.

I think the $100 rental option is reasonable, since you mostly need to measure par during setup then once par is dialed in leave settings alone.

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you click on the meters it's a 60 day return and 100 restock fee

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221015-073024_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221015-073024_Chrome.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 34

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally broke down and bought the Apogee
MQ-510 w/fancy wond, I guess I'm glad I did in a way (not the $$$ way!), its not something I will use alot but I figured it will last years where my lights won't, so the odds of me replacing lights and needing to use a par meter again were high. I did not feel like giving 100$ + to brs everytime and eventually giving them back the par meter, thats if nothing happened to it or I forgot by the return deadline. Also I have 2 systems that have t5/led lighting so I was able to test both and I was very surprised, I had it set to my eye and what I thought was good, I knew it was a little high, but according to the par meter it was very high! I lowered lighting intensity accordingly with the meter and noticed a difference in growth and coral quality.
When there was only t5's, power compacts, and MH lights I would have said don't waste the time and money on a par meter or mapping, but leds can definitely be deceiving and can be much stronger or weaker than appears.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Podyourreef says out of stock. Does anyone know if discontinued the program? Brs dosnt show rental even when I click on it like someone said. saltwateraquarium is 100! I bought a seneye years ago and terrible customer service I count get it to work! Its been so long I cant remember the problem but I believe I couldnt get the dashboard to work correctly for anything!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's not a rental at BRS. You buy it, use it and return it within 60 days.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's not a rental at BRS. You buy it, use it and return it within 60 days.
Eh the verbage was changed for some weirdo legalese reasons but it's still the same thing.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back