Is the EB832 okay with the BRS 600 Watt Titanium Heater?

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work. I wouldn't use the EB832 as the heater controller though. I've read the constant switching can shorten the lifespan of the 832. Not sure how reliable that info is.

I have both and I use the BRS controller. I plug that into the heater outlet in the 832. I use the 832 as a failsafe. Its set to shut off 2 degrees warmer than the BRS controller is set for. For whatever reason if the heater gets stuck on or the BRS thermometer stops working the apex will kill the power to it completely if the water becomes too warm.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ic
It will work. I wouldn't use the EB832 as the heater controller though. I've read the constant switching can shorten the lifespan of the 832. Not sure how reliable that info is.

I have both and I use the BRS controller. I plug that into the heater outlet in the 832. I use the 832 as a failsafe. Its set to shut off 2 degrees warmer than the BRS controller is set for. For whatever reason if the heater gets stuck on or the BRS thermometer stops working the apex will kill the power to it completely if the water becomes too warm.
I’ve been using the EB8 for almost 8 years but in the opposite manner. Controller as failsafe, EB8 as controller. Never had an issue.

Main reason I want the EB832 is for power monitoring. Was wondering if the 600 watt heater on the EB832 would overload it.

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ic

I’ve been using the EB8 for almost 8 years but in the opposite manner. Controller as failsafe, EB8 as controller. Never had an issue.

Main reason I want the EB832 is for power monitoring. Was wondering if the 600 watt heater on the EB832 would overload it.
It depends on what all you have drawing power from it. The Eb832 is rated for 15 amps total draw. Each outlet is 7 amps. That heater will draw about 5 amps when switched on. So it wont be an issue unless you are getting close to the limits of the 15 amp breaker.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what all you have drawing power from it. The Eb832 is rated for 15 amps total draw. Each outlet is 7 amps. That heater will draw about 5 amps when switched on. So it wont be an issue unless you are getting close to the limits of the 15 amp breaker.
Is the EB832 good for tracking energy useage/cost? I’m looking to track with the goal of reducing electricity.

U

User1

View Badges
Since you mentioned the BRS controller it has two outlets. One 600W will be fine.

On the other hand if you try and use both outlets in the BRS controller and they are both 600W then it won't work and throw an error if not worse. Once it kicks on you will see the "!" indicator and do not want that.

Either way will work. Some prefer the apex to do the controlling others the BRS or other controller with the apex being the backup. Either will work and even shed light on power consumption. But to your question yes. The 600W is fine. That is what I'm using although may switch back to 2 x 300W. As it is now I have 2 x 600W each plugged into its own eb832.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you mentioned the BRS controller it has two outlets. One 600W will be fine.

On the other hand if you try and use both outlets in the BRS controller and they are both 600W then it won't work and throw an error if not worse. Once it kicks on you will see the "!" indicator and do not want that.

Either way will work. Some prefer the apex to do the controlling others the BRS or other controller with the apex being the backup. Either will work and even shed light on power consumption. But to your question yes. The 600W is fine. That is what I'm using although may switch back to 2 x 300W. As it is now I have 2 x 600W each plugged into its own eb832.
Can the EB832 record energy data so I can historically look back throughout the year?

U

User1

View Badges
Can the EB832 record energy data so I can historically look back throughout the year?

The eb832 (sounds like a star wars droid) can provide data, yes. There is a limit to its retention but you can get it by outlet for detail or combined for summary. If you want a longer retention or data period then you would probably be best by using Excel and its WEB / API call and grab the data out of Apex if you want a years worth. There are only a limited number of API calls it supports but you can check the documentation. I've used it to pull the Trident information out and save.

In all yes, it has a good data logger but remember it is only going to retain so much so know it is a rolling window. You can use their API to pull it though. I saw a while back someone was storing it in grafana.

Combined:
1606682598286.png

Tile:
1606682628061.png

Compare outlets:
1606682988732.png

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eb832 (sounds like a star wars droid) can provide data, yes. There is a limit to its retention but you can get it by outlet for detail or combined for summary. If you want a longer retention or data period then you would probably be best by using Excel and its WEB / API call and grab the data out of Apex if you want a years worth. There are only a limited number of API calls it supports but you can check the documentation. I've used it to pull the Trident information out and save.

In all yes, it has a good data logger but remember it is only going to retain so much so know it is a rolling window. You can use their API to pull it though. I saw a while back someone was storing it in grafana.

Combined:
1606682598286.png

Tile:
1606682628061.png

Compare outlets:
1606682988732.png
Thanks for the pictures. If you have multiple EB832’s, will Fusion add all of them for a combined Kw total?

U

User1

View Badges
Thanks for the pictures. If you have multiple EB832’s, will Fusion add all of them for a combined Kw total?

Hmm...I really don't know. I pulled up the power log and then the help screen. It does say "for all EB832" outputs in the system combined. I have my 2nd EB832 off right now so not able to pull it up and check (I'm using it as a template for a small equipment board/panel I'm working on that is taking longer than what I thought).

Not sure if this helps. Let me tag @SuncrestReef as he is a Apex nerd and may be able to shed some light on it :D

• Power Chart​

The chart displayed here always shows power usage in Watts, over time, for all EB832 outputs in the system, combined.
    The combined summary chart may be overlaid with any number of additional individual EB832 output charts for comparison purposes; use the Compare selector above the chart to select additional outputs to compare against; this will demonstrate the contributions of individual pieces of equipment to the combined total.
    The chart displays a time interval; by default, the most recent 24 hours. You may expand this interval up to one week, contract it to one hour, or move the interval to more closely examine a given time span, by using the zoom buttons above the chart and the zoom control below it.
  • Combined Summary​

Summary data for all EB832 outputs in the system appears here; in short, this is the power and energy usage of the entire system during the interval.

Comparison Summary​

If you've selected one or more individual EB832 outputs by using the Compare selector, interval summary data for those outputs will appear here.

Back