Is the GHL 2.1 the best option for stand alone Doser?

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to have it to be able to dose the 4 triton Core7 base elements but not sure if the $460 is justified with the GHL 2.1 or if there's another product I should consider.
Thanks in advance for any guidance!

OP
OP
ReefLab

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the GHL and really like it. That said, doseatronic and kamor x4 are worth a look
Thanks for dropping by.
Looks like kamoer X4 is discontinued (including most product support)

A big issue that’s making me feel like I shouldn’t get the GHL is the “need” to hook it up to a PC. I only have Apple products. I know boot camp is possible but a windows 10 license is $140, not to mention tying up tons of space on my Mac.
Do you feel this is a valid concern?

DibsOnMcRibs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for dropping by.

A big issue that’s making me feel like I shouldn’t get the GHL is the “need” to hook it up to a PC. I only have Apple products. I know boot camp is possible but a windows 10 license is $140, not to mention tying up tons of space on my Mac.

What do you mean “need to hook up to a PC”? Do you need to sync it with your computer for it to function properly?

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my GHL doser. Like it’s features with WiFi and app.
I also have a bubble magnus doser on my other tank. It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles like my GHL but is much cheaper and doses correctly.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for dropping by.

Heck, invite me to visit in Vegas, I'll update your doser free :). Lets be honest, you can pick up a used laptop dirt cheap and dedicate it to stuff like the aquarium. I use Mac and PC and to be honest.. it's time to say goodby to MAC. They have forgotten how to treat customers with innovative tech people want. A tablet/macbook should have been out years ago... and still nothing.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There really no need to hook it up to a computer for dosing only. The firmware updates are functions like KH director and ION DIRECTOR related. I use MAC’s an never had to up date the firmware to use the doser fro just dosing.
They are working towards being able to do Firmware updates from the GHL CONNECT APP itself. As many people don’t even have computers anymore.

OP
OP
ReefLab

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean “need to hook up to a PC”? Do you need to sync it with your computer for it to function properly?

To update the firmware and for certain functions (not sure which functions exactly) you need to plug it into a PC.

Firmware updates
A solution to this is if you know anyone that has a windows laptop and just invite them over for a drink and borrow the laptop for 10 minutes while enjoying a couple drinks;)

I was thinking I might go this route.

I really like my GHL doser. Like it’s features with WiFi and app.
I also have a bubble magnus doser on my other tank. It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles like my GHL but is much cheaper and doses correctly.

I’m all about bells & whistles! Lol.

Heck, invite me to visit in Vegas, I'll update your doser free :). Lets be honest, you can pick up a used laptop dirt cheap and dedicate it to stuff like the aquarium. I use Mac and PC and to be honest.. it's time to say goodby to MAC. They have forgotten how to treat customers with innovative tech people want. A tablet/macbook should have been out years ago... and still nothing.

Hey hey I love my iPad Pro & rumor has it iPad OS will be coming early 2020, giving iPad nearly full MacOS functionality. I hate PC with a passion lol. I could pick up a used pc or even a new one sub $150 so if it comes down to it I just may do that, considering the windows software itself is $140.

There really no need to hook it up to a computer for dosing only. The firmware updates are functions like KH director and ION DIRECTOR related. I use MAC’s an never had to up date the firmware to use the doser fro just dosing.
They are working towards being able to do Firmware updates from the GHL CONNECT APP itself. As many people don’t even have computers anymore.

Reading through the threads it seems like GHL is taking steps in that direction which is great.

I think I’ll jump for the GHL. Thanks all!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One could always install windows Bootcamp on a 1 gig USB drive.
Apple is building a whole separate operating system for touch instead of tacking on touch functionality to the MacOS as Microsoft Windows did. Different use cases require different solutions in the long run. As we are seeing with the IpadOS bring to the iPad what is needed.

OP
OP
ReefLab

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One could always install windows Bootcamp on a 1 gig USB drive.
Apple is building a whole separate operating system for touch instead of tacking on touch functionality to the MacOS as Microsoft Windows did. Different use cases require different solutions in the long run. As we are seeing with the IpadOS bring to the iPad what is needed.
The problem with boot camp is I still have to pay for the lousy windows software.
Yeah I really hope ipadOS is close to fully featured. I’m glad Apple takes it slow, though, and makes sure things work great when they come to market.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same situation. Reefbreeders sells the Coral Box for less than half the price. Works with Apple products. Had mine for a couple of weeks and so far works fine.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doser 2.1 is a great piece of hardware. The long-term reliability is worth the $.

Also, the ability to use it without a controller is great. The only reason I mention this is because it still gives you access to GHLs web/mobile app. It's a good "toe in the water" if you're considering a controller at some point in the future. (Or even just expanding to an Alk monitoring system.)

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for Windows, you can buy it on eBay for ~15 bucks. Yes, they are legit copies. The reason people are allowed to resell it is because technically they're selling a broken piece of hardware along with it. And if you read the fine print it will say something like "if hardware isn't picked up bla bla bla it will be recycled."

I've been buying that way for years and even had Microsoft help me transfer a key because I was being indecisive on a PC build, and had installed it on like 10 different builds lol. Microsoft doesn't really care, they just want more people in their platform. (Besides, it's just for firmware updates and that doesn't happen a ton. You'll spend the vaaaaast majority of the time using the web/mobile app.)

OP
OP
ReefLab

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for Windows, you can buy it on eBay for ~15 bucks. Yes, they are legit copies. The reason people are allowed to resell it is because technically they're selling a broken piece of hardware along with it. And if you read the fine print it will say something like "if hardware isn't picked up bla bla bla it will be recycled."

I've been buying that way for years and even had Microsoft help me transfer a key because I was being indecisive on a PC build, and had installed it on like 10 different builds lol. Microsoft doesn't really care, they just want more people in their platform. (Besides, it's just for firmware updates and that doesn't happen a ton. You'll spend the vaaaaast majority of the time using the web/mobile app.)

Thanks for the tip. So at initial set up, do I have to plug it into a PC or only when there’s a firmware update in the future that I need to have?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with boot camp is I still have to pay for the lousy windows software.
Yeah I really hope ipadOS is close to fully featured. I’m glad Apple takes it slow, though, and makes sure things work great when they come to market.
I have never paid for my windows boot amp software. I have used windows 10 since it came out for GHL CCG
Just saying not a thing.

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I would have kept mine as now I'm in the market for another doser. Following to see suggestions.

20180320_185209.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back