Is the hobby really fun or simply rewarding if done successfully? Possibly another go tank thread...

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is a tough thing to choose to do for enjoyment. It's an emotional, financial and time investment that sometimes bring a deep level of satisfaction and many times brings disappointment and frustration. I totally understand why someone would get to a point and do the maths and decide it's time to give it a rest.

I chose this hobby because I've always been obsessed with the ocean and I get bored easily and need something challenging all the time. I hope that's enough to keep me going for many years to come.

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you Brother. I went through 2 rounds of Dino before I sorted out the real problem and came to grips with all of the bad info out there (blackouts - ha! - worst thing we can do to solve what is a lack of nutrients and bio-diversity). Now 2.5 years later and finally just recently rid of GHA. Still a lot of work, more than most would be able to do, but now when I look at my beautiful corals and fish....I can say that its becoming a bit fun and is very rewarding. Like most things, if I just new back then what I know now....

OP
OP
C

Charley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everything was smooth sailing all the time I would not do it. It’s a hobby, a challenge not a tank in A box type of thing. I hate it when things aren’t going right but that’s the fun of it. Fixing what’s wrong and maintaining what’s right. I do something everyday to my tank and I did my research before and knew what I was getting into. It’s your own little world and thinking you will have an easy time trying to control nature is just dumb. I suggest you sell your stuff and try to recoup your losses and find something else to do. I do RC in my spare time as well and believe me that’s not easy either. Anyone can learn to fly or drive these things but when it breaks there is a lot of tedious tear down and tiny screws and frustration. I love it but once again I took the responsibility to learn all about the cons going into RC.
I respect your opinion and thanks for jumping in. I think though there is one thing you overlook in this equation. Alot of people have their tanks in a main area of the house in a high viewing area. In these cases, the pressure is on to have the tank look good at all times. In most other hobbies the equipment can be tucked away in a garage or a shed. Not so good to have a bunch of friends and family over and the tank looks terrible because you are in the midst of a crash or algae bloom etc of some sort. this is one the reasons high end stuff is bought IMHO so the tank looks nice in the hone. This was one of my considerations but the tank is a bit more out of sight. So quite possible , a significant other, not interested in the hobby, would not be very happy with the tank looking shabby while you're battling. this happens a few times and the tank has to go, I believe this contributes to alot of people leaving the hobby. Should the person have done more "research" to avoid this? How much is enough? Pls kindly elaborate. LFS is not going to paint a gloomy picture, they are trying to make a sale. I do not fault them for this. How deep does one of have to dig to capture all that could go wrong? Do you watch all 52 episodes on BRS? Is that sufficient?

Not suggesting that people leave the hobby or not get into it. Just sharing my thoughts as to why I came close to leaving.

Which brings me to my next brilliant idea! a book: Reefkeeping for Dummies! A "must read" before you jump in. Might even keep dumb dumbs like me from jumping in!

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Charley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People like the OP I guess and saying the hobby needs more “upfront info” on the hobby and it is not a “fun” hobby in their opinion and that they should have been told these things in the beginning lol. Also, claiming the hobby doesn’t do a good job at educating new people upfront. When BRS and SA just to name 2 large companies have a bunch of videos on setting up, maintaining and dealing with issues.
I respect your opinion, it's all good. But how much is enough research? 52 episodes of BRS? Is that enough? Can you kindly quantify and clarify how much research is enough?

Who knows, given enough time I might win you over:)

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respect your opinion, it's all good. But how much is enough research? 52 episodes of BRS? Is that enough? Can you kindly quantify and clarify how much research is enough?

Who knows, given enough time I might win you over:)
There’s never enough research to be done and you can always learn something each day. There is no way to quantify the minimum amount of learning to be successful with any subject in life. Everyone’s brain works differently. Maybe you need a more quantifiable hobby. Not a tinkering and ever changing/evolving hobby where learning and education is never ending. Maybe collect maps or currency and use those as the artwork for your visitors to appreciate instead of a bad looking tank. They are more quantifiable and more buy it and forget.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I agree the hobby could be easier and more fair but the reality is different, it is sometimes difficult, sometimes fun, sometimes rewarding and sometimes very frustrating.

From my perspective our hobby it is same aa life, it can be tough of fun depending on how we decide it to be. I know we do not want this type of answer sometimes (me included) but it is true. On this life nothing is free, life is not fair and the enjoyment of life hinge in if we want to suffer it or enjoy it.

I hope you can feel better soon and that you find joy in reefing again.

OP
OP
C

Charley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have your opinion and I have mine. You shouldn’t be offended by mine, please don’t.
ok, I am removing the armour!
Also this hobby is really only as complicated as you want to make it. I have run all my tanks in a very simple, natural way. My tanks have never required any dosing or chemicals. I rely on water changes for maintenance. I also know that I will never have the same type of crazy growth and colors some other people are getting but I am OK with that because I do not want to make the hobby too complicated or expensive for me to enjoy.

Also EVERY hobby has bad parts! Do you think I kill a deer every time I hunt? It took me 5 years of hunting florida public swamps before I even killed my first one. Fishing? Man I have dumped THOUSANDS into that hobby of mine and often come home with only a headache. When I shop at Bass Pro Shops do they tell me that it may take 5 years to kill a deer? Nope.

Come on people, you cannot just throw money at something to solve your issues. You need to put the work in. I believe that attitudes like this reflect a serious issue with our culture. We are spoiled rotten and think that everything should be as easy as pushing a button to achieve success, no work required. #firstworldproblems from a country filled with a bunch of spoiled snowflakes lol!

Here are some simple tanks of mine that I still think are fun and good looking:

new rockwork (2).jpg
20171218_185633.jpg
First, your tanks look great and thanks for sharing! I can always count on you to not let me off the hook with anything! I say this lovingly:)

I would have bet a million that you do kill a deer every time! Habit, overly optimistic I guess. since it did take you 5 years to kill one, feel kinda bummed they didn't drop you a hint.

As far as throwing money at the hobby this is tricky. People throw money at the hobby for the aesthetics and cannot risk an ugly looking reef because of unexpected disasters. there could very well be other people in the home that have to be kept very happy in terms of how it looks at all times.

OP
OP
C

Charley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Charlie, great thread. Where are you on Long Island? I am at the end of the expressway.

I love this hobby but I also love a lot of things. My tank right now has a lot of cyano in it. I just find that interesting and I like to study it. I don't see it as a problem but a reason for me to think.
Over the years my tank has had every situation, none of which I would call problems because then it would not be technically called a hobby which by definition means something that is fun.

I realize that it is a fish tank and I eat fish almost every day. I don't have any fancy gadgets, dosers, controllers, hospital or quarantine tanks, medications etc. and my tank gets along just fine. I also think simpler is better.

The hobby to me is something to do when I am not doing anything else and I can "play" with it when ever I want, or don't want. It's just there. :cool:
Thank You Paul. I live in Massapequa. My wife out come to the east fairly often.

Your posts, is for sure, one the joys of the hobby for me. Love them and you're a real inspiration.

I sincerely hope one day a supermodel comes to your door dripping in blackworms and whiteworms!

OP
OP
C

Charley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I agree the hobby could be easier and more fair but the reality is different, it is sometimes difficult, sometimes fun, sometimes rewarding and sometimes very frustrating.

From my perspective our hobby it is same aa life, it can be tough of fun depending on how we decide it to be. I know we do not want this type of answer sometimes (me included) but it is true. On this life nothing is free, life is not fair and the enjoyment of life hinge in if we want to suffer it or enjoy it.

I hope you can feel better soon and that you find joy in reefing again.
Thank you so very much for your kind words:).

OP
OP
C

Charley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s never enough research to be done and you can always learn something each day. There is no way to quantify the minimum amount of learning to be successful with any subject in life. Everyone’s brain works differently. Maybe you need a more quantifiable hobby. Not a tinkering and ever changing/evolving hobby where learning and education is never ending. Maybe collect maps or currency and use those as the artwork for your visitors to appreciate instead of a bad looking tank. They are more quantifiable and more buy it and forget.
So, a person considering entering the hobby should research forever? Is there a cut off? If people suggest doing your research before jumping in.....i mean you can't hit a target you can't see. you are artfully ducking the question :) Pls be more specific. Maps? is that a hobby? could be cool.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have bet a million that you do kill a deer every time! Habit, overly optimistic I guess. since it did take you 5 years to kill one, feel kinda bummed they didn't drop you a hint.

Hunting these swamps in Florida is tough lol. I started with literally 0 knowledge and slowly but surely figured it out, all on public land. I went through a lot of crap though. Spent a couple thousand dollars, nearly fell out of a tree stand, almost got bit by a cottonmouth, been chased by an alligator, thousands of mosquito bites, projectile vomiting from a treestand (that was interesting), stung by a scorpion, and not to mention a lot of time. But through all that adversity I have learned how to successfully hunt Florida whitetails deep in our flooded swamps. Looking back I loved every minute of it. Sometimes its the journey, not the destination, that ends up being all the fun!

In all seriousness I hope that you can find joy in the hobby once again.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a person considering entering the hobby should research forever? Is there a cut off? If people suggest doing your research before jumping in.....i mean you can't hit a target you can't see. you are artfully ducking the question :) Pls be more specific. Maps? is that a hobby? could be cool.

This hobby is influenced so much by everchanging technology and ever growing knowledge of coral and fish that your research is never really done. Unless you are happy running a system with technology from a certain decade only lol. I mean just the evolution in lighting over the last decade has been staggering, not to mention everything else! In a way we are kind of wading through the infancy of this hobby (perhaps the teenage years??) and that is kind of cool.

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is influenced so much by everchanging technology and ever growing knowledge of coral and fish that your research is never really done. Unless you are happy running a system with technology from a certain decade only lol. I mean just the evolution in lighting over the last decade has been staggering, not to mention everything else! In a way we are kind of wading through the infancy of this hobby (perhaps the teenage years??) and that is kind of cool.
100% agree. That is why there is no quantifiable amount of “minimum” research to be a successful reefer.

OP
OP
C

Charley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hunting these swamps in Florida is tough lol. I started with literally 0 knowledge and slowly but surely figured it out, all on public land. I went through a lot of crap though. Spent a couple thousand dollars, nearly fell out of a tree stand, almost got bit by a cottonmouth, been chased by an alligator, thousands of mosquito bites, projectile vomiting from a treestand (that was interesting), stung by a scorpion, and not to mention a lot of time. But through all that adversity I have learned how to successfully hunt Florida whitetails deep in our flooded swamps. Looking back I loved every minute of it. Sometimes its the journey, not the destination, that ends up being all the fun!

In all seriousness I hope that you can find joy in the hobby once again.
Thank You and stay safe

Back