Is the leveling of my new IM 40 tank and stand a potential problem?

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished assembling my IM APS stand for a Nuvo Fusion 40 aio. Left to right, the tank is level. Front to back this is what I have. I’m not sure what I can do to fix it as the stand has 4 foams pads, one in each corner.
FD48E88A-FE00-4CCD-8C67-98A79EF0EA83.jpeg
88D3247C-5697-4130-9C45-AA6A5D80EABC.jpeg

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think that’s off by much that it will cause you probs. If it bothers you, some composite shims under the front or back corners( whichever needs to be higher) will level it out.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would level it. Playing cards can make a great stackable shim. Looks like tile under. Can install them, and when level, razor knife around the pad from the outside removing any visible card.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot imagine that amount of difference would ever cause an issue on such a small tank. Levelness is not really the issue that leads to failures. It is when the tank is not fully supported around the rim that causes the glass to bend and puts stress on seams. You want to make sure the tank is fully supported (no gaps) between the bottom rim and the stand.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot imagine that amount of difference would ever cause an issue on such a small tank. Levelness is not really the issue that leads to failures. It is when the tank is not fully supported around the rim that causes the glass to bend and puts stress on seams. You want to make sure the tank is fully supported (no gaps) between the bottom rim and the stand.

I can get a piece of paper under a couple of corners. The top of the stand is flush all the way around. It might be the starboard that screws to the top of the IM APS stand. Will the self-leveling mat compress when the tank is filled?

321DE4ED-4701-4759-B266-BA54C7CBF8A1.jpeg

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a mat between the tank and the stand it should compress and provide adequate support (provided the gap is not too great). The floor mats should do the same. It is next to impossible to get a stand completely flat so the compressible material helps to compensate for any unevenness in the stand. I would fill with water slowly and see that the gaps are closed as the mat compresses. I like having a compressible material between the stand and the tank to minimize any stresses on the seams, even on rimmed tanks.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a mat between the tank and the stand it should compress and provide adequate support (provided the gap is not too great). The floor mats should do the same. It is next to impossible to get a stand completely flat so the compressible material helps to compensate for any unevenness in the stand. I would fill with water slowly and see that the gaps are closed as the mat compresses. I like having a compressible material between the stand and the tank to minimize any stresses on the seams, even on rimmed tanks.

There is a mat between the tank and stand. I will fill with RODI to leak test and see how it compresses. I’ll then see how I need to shim if in fact I do. Thanks for your help.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back