Is the Neptune Trident Ever in Stock?

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I don't own an Apex system yet but about to take the plunge this Friday and have an open opportunity to get my hands on the Trident while doing it. Do you guys think this is worth every penny? I'm hunting for justification for spending $.
IMHO, yes. At first I was on the fence and could not really justify spending $500 when I can test manually. But once I started dosing BRS 2 part, I wanted to test daily and it became a chore, for me anyway. I am the type of reefer that will buy a piece of equipment to allow me to spend more time enjoying my tank than spending time doing maintenance, testing, etc.

Mine has been up and running for a few days now and I'm already glad I spent the money on it

U

User1

View Badges
IMHO, yes. At first I was on the fence and could not really justify spending $500 when I can test manually. But once I started dosing BRS 2 part, I wanted to test daily and it became a chore, for me anyway. I am the type of reefer that will buy a piece of equipment to allow me to spend more time enjoying my tank than spending time doing maintenance, testing, etc.

Mine has been up and running for a few days now and I'm already glad I spent the money on it

It really is a simple product for hobbyists to use. I'm not saying the product is simple design wise or build - just for us, the end user, to use. Probably two things I dislike about the hobby chore side of it. 1 - water changes. 2 - manual tests. If I have to do it manually then I'll put it off. If I put it off, I'll continue to put it off. Notes don't help. I'll just throw them away. When I did do manual testing then it was those that are easy to do or ones I felt I could repeatedly test consistently. So that meant the Hanna checkers. So...phosphate and Alk :) The only Nitrate kit I liked was the Nyos. So that would get done. Ca and Mag - forget it.

Enter the trident. If all I really care about is Ca, Alk, and Mag, then this is the took for me. I don't care if it is reagent based or not. It tests, it tests the same way, and the same electronic eye is looking at it, then I'm good to go. It made even more sense since I had an Apex. So I'm only out the door the cost of the unit once I found it (many thanks of which go to this forum/board) and later the 6 month reagent cost.

I understand that GHL and MS may add other things. Again, if all I am interested in are those values (ignorance or we as hobbyists just don't know how potassium for example) then it is a solid product once you can find one in stock.

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really is a simple product for hobbyists to use. I'm not saying the product is simple design wise or build - just for us, the end user, to use. Probably two things I dislike about the hobby chore side of it. 1 - water changes. 2 - manual tests. If I have to do it manually then I'll put it off. If I put it off, I'll continue to put it off. Notes don't help. I'll just throw them away. When I did do manual testing then it was those that are easy to do or ones I felt I could repeatedly test consistently. So that meant the Hanna checkers. So...phosphate and Alk :) The only Nitrate kit I liked was the Nyos. So that would get done. Ca and Mag - forget it.

Enter the trident. If all I really care about is Ca, Alk, and Mag, then this is the took for me. I don't care if it is reagent based or not. It tests, it tests the same way, and the same electronic eye is looking at it, then I'm good to go. It made even more sense since I had an Apex. So I'm only out the door the cost of the unit once I found it (many thanks of which go to this forum/board) and later the 6 month reagent cost.

I understand that GHL and MS may add other things. Again, if all I am interested in are those values (ignorance or we as hobbyists just don't know how potassium for example) then it is a solid product once you can find one in stock.
couldn't have said it better myself. I got in the hobby to enjoy my tank (watch the fish swim, look at coral, watch the fish & coral grow, etc.) not to do water changes, manually test everyday and all the other maintenance tasks that a lot of us are not fans of. So if I can get a piece of equipment to take care of one of those things (or at the very least make it easier) then I'm on board.

To reiterate my point, I bought a fleece roller to make changing filter pads or socks out not be a concern. It ended up being more work than what I was willing to do (changing the roll was a PIA, kept binding up which set an alarm which then would not advance the roll so the water wasn't even getting filtered). So I sold it and went back to filter pad. I use Pinky filters and only have to change pad out once a week. In my eyes, it is extremely easier to change out filter pad once a week than it was to change out the fleece roll every 3 months (in addition to having to constantly check it to make sure it wasn't binding up)

So, if you have the money and can afford it (and can get your hands on one), I would ABSOLUTELY recommend getting a Trident. Unless you enjoy testing manually (which I don't know of anybody that does haha)

Mark Lawson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found they are around at some of the online stores BUT being sold as a bundle deal. I emailed one retailer as to any single units Vs. bundles and their response...........

"As you know, the Trident's popularity and demand has exceeded its production since its release, and we understand it has been difficult for many reefers to find Tridents for sale. We are currently offering the Trident in some bundle packages right now. We may be offering the Trident alone in the future."

So looks like the game has changed a bit as to single units Vs. bundled units........bummer. One way to slow sales down am guessing for Trident production to catch up.

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I don't own an Apex system yet but about to take the plunge this Friday and have an open opportunity to get my hands on the Trident while doing it. Do you guys think this is worth every penny? I'm hunting for justification for spending $.
100% worth it. I have had mine since Aug 1st and have had zero issues and it makes life so much easier.

U

User1

View Badges
100% worth it. I have had mine since Aug 1st and have had zero issues and it makes life so much easier.

Worth it.

I dislike water changes and testing. The only testing that I ended up doing somewhat consistently was Alk, phosphate, and nitrates and it is because of the Hanna checkers. Nyos for the nitrates. Even then it did not get done as much as it should have. Previous tanks - no testing after the cycle.

Trident at least guarantees that I'll get the main three which will help provide a number on three things used as a tank matures. Since those three are somewhat standard that we as hobbyists test for tank maturity and health and already owning an apex it was a no brainer in buying it.

Mark Lawson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If your wanting or looking to buy a full Apex WiFi (recommend) then these folks still have combo units available Apex WiFi,Trident,DOS well worth it to to have Apex and Trident. Wish I had a trident along with Apex when I bought one.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trident at least guarantees that I'll get the main three which will help provide a number on three things used as a tank matures.

I've become incredibly lazy about testing Ca and Mg now that my Alk is measured 12 times per day. The few times I've tested them with a Salifert kit over the past months, they've been where I expect them. I'm interested in feedback about disasters caused by Ca or Mg changes.

My big three is Alk, PO4, NO3 :)

U

User1

View Badges
I've become incredibly lazy about testing Ca and Mg now that my Alk is measured 12 times per day. The few times I've tested them with a Salifert kit over the past months, they've been where I expect them. I'm interested in feedback about disasters caused by Ca or Mg changes.

My big three is Alk, PO4, NO3 :)

Question - since you mentioned 12 times a day testing have you considered about reducing it and then comparing the results?

Just wondering as I'm testing the minimum. I think more tests would smooth out the graph.

Superbean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a tool anywhere that tracks what is in stock online? It seems like they all go on eBay and zero the legit way through a supplier.

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a tool anywhere that tracks what is in stock online? It seems like they all go on eBay and zero the legit way through a supplier.
I got mine from premium aquatics after someone posted in this thread that they were in stock.

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was lucky enough to just happen to check BRS and they were in stock. Saltwater Aquarium usually has some pretty frequently (check out their FB group they announce when they will have some), Marine Depot is another good option. Check with some LFS, even if they are not real local, some are still doing waiting lists and will take PayPal when it's your turn

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question - since you mentioned 12 times a day testing have you considered about reducing it and then comparing the results?

Just wondering as I'm testing the minimum. I think more tests would smooth out the graph.

I'm using an Alkatronic and test that much as the DIY reagent is about $10 for 500 gallons after dilution :) Here's the chart with every 2 hours.
1574364146727.png

Here's a week of data thrown into a spreadsheet using 4 tests/day. To make it easy I used my existing results, started at 00:00 and a 6 hour interval from there. Time in the csv must not be synced to my local time.
wefdgrhtj.PNG

The takeaway for me is that Alk consumption isn't linear or even the same day to day. All of my dosing is from 08:00 to 20:00.

U

User1

View Badges
I'm using an Alkatronic and test that much as the DIY reagent is about $10 for 500 gallons after dilution :) Here's the chart with every 2 hours.
1574364146727.png

Here's a week of data thrown into a spreadsheet using 4 tests/day. To make it easy I used my existing results, started at 00:00 and a 6 hour interval from there. Time in the csv must not be synced to my local time.
wefdgrhtj.PNG

The takeaway for me is that Alk consumption isn't linear or even the same day to day. All of my dosing is from 08:00 to 20:00.

Thanks!

Back