Is the Peacock Mantis Shrimp a good choice for a Complete Beginner that wants to learn?

Invadetor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
I'm new to Saltwater Aquarium and was wondering if the Peacock Mantis Shrimp would be a good choice to learn how to keep a Saltwater Aquarium (learn doing water changes, water tests and etc...).
I have read that the an adult can live in a 20 gallons tank, and that they are incredibly hardy and resistant to water change and have appetite for pretty much anything you throw... said that I want to ask if it is a good choice for someone like me, that know just a little bit about keeping Saltwater Animals ahahahah!
Do I want to know what the water parameters should be, best tank size, how many hiding spots, how many live rock and how much sand (I saw that they like to dig? I'm not 100% sure) and etc...
The Peacock Mantis Shrimp is probably at third place of my favorite Sea Animal, and I really want to learn how to keep Saltwater Animals, saw that my favorite animal ever is the Octopus and I really want to keep one in the future, but I know that they are really sensitive to water changes and in few words they are Expert Level Saltwater Animals... so I want to learn how to keep them heaalthy and happy!

Anyway thank really much for the help, I really appreciate it!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peacocks are not incredibly hardy. SOME smaller mantis are. Adult Peacocks are prone to shell rot, molting problems, and poor water quality. I would place them as moderate difficulty level.

A wennerea (sp?) would be hardy.

OP
OP
Invadetor

Invadetor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peacocks are not incredibly hardy. SOME smaller mantis are. Adult Peacocks are prone to shell rot, molting problems, and poor water quality. I would place them as moderate difficulty level.

A wennerea (sp?) would be hardy.
Oh I see, do you think that even if it is a moderate level, I could begin with one of them?
In case it's better to choose something hardier, do you know if there is any kind of hardy small Shrimp (no Mantis Shrimp) that I can keep in a nano-tank, to learn with?
Anyway thank for the help!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see, do you think that even if it is a moderate level, I could begin with one of them?
In case it's better to choose something hardier, do you know if there is any kind of hardy small Shrimp (no Mantis Shrimp) that I can keep in a nano-tank, to learn with?
Anyway thank for the help!

It depends how confident you are on keeping up with water quality and topping off and such. They are messy eaters with a good sized bioload. I would suggest a 30g or 40 breeder with a skimmer ideally. They are also fairly expensive. If you plan on corals aka reef lighting then this will make it more difficult as the light seems to increase the bacterial infection of shell rot.

Do the hardier ones not appeal to you?

OP
OP
Invadetor

Invadetor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends how confident you are on keeping up with water quality and topping off and such. They are messy eaters with a good sized bioload. I would suggest a 30g or 40 breeder with a skimmer ideally. They are also fairly expensive.

Do the hardier ones not appeal to you?
Oh, I see I thought that because they are not the biggest they could live in a smaller tank, but I guess that it is easier to keep them a bigger tank.
Anyway are hardier Mantis Shrimp fine with a 20 gallons (if there are any that are small)? Or do they still need a large tank?
Oh, and bonus question, how much do they usually live, if given good care and quality food?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I see I thought that because they are not the biggest they could live in a smaller tank, but I guess that it is easier to keep them a bigger tank.
Anyway are hardier Mantis Shrimp fine with a 20 gallons (if there are any that are small)? Or do they still need a large tank?
Oh, and bonus question, how much do they usually live, if given good care and quality food?

Peacocks are a large mantis shrimp… can get to around 6 inches. Most people lose them after a few years due to shell rot or molting issues.They grow fast and just have a hard time when they get bigger.

There are smaller ones that can live in 10-20g easily. I want to say they live several years.

Neogonodactylus wennerae is an ideal beginner mantis shrimp. Very active/interactive and hardy. It also can fit in smaller tanks. They get around 3 inches. Another good one is the smithii mantis. Same deal but harder to find for sale.

OP
OP
Invadetor

Invadetor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peacocks are a large mantis shrimp… can get to around 6 inches. Most people lose them after a few years due to shell rot or molting issues.They grow fast and just have a hard time when they get bigger.

There are smaller ones that can live in 10-20g easily. I want to say they live several years.

Neogonodactylus wennerae is an ideal beginner mantis shrimp. Very active/interactive and hardy. It also can fit in smaller tanks. They get around 3 inches. Another good one is the smithii mantis. Same deal but harder to find for sale.
Oh, I see that Neogonodactylus Wennerae looks cute!
What is the best tank size for it, and what does such a small Mantis Shrimp eat?
Plus do you think I can have any luck finding it on Pet Shops, or do you know any great site that sell it?
Thank again for the help!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I see that Neogonodactylus Wennerae looks cute!
What is the best tank size for it, and what does such a small Mantis Shrimp eat?
Plus do you think I can have any luck finding it on Pet Shops, or do you know any great site that sell it?
Thank again for the help!

They are not too hard to find. Any mantis is more difficult to get them say a common fish though.

10-20g will be fine.

They will eat mysis, LRS, clam on half shell, krill, hermits, snails, just about anything.

I have only ever used KPA aquatics but out of stock atm. I sometimes see them in stores. It looks like salty bottom reef has them in stock but never used them before.

OP
OP
Invadetor

Invadetor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the biggest Pet Shop from where I live, and unfortunately they didn't have any species of Mantis Shrimp... I will still try to check other Pet Shops.
Anyway I've seen how big a 15 gallons tank is, and I was wondering if that really was big enough for even a Wennerae... I know they are territorial animal, but I've never really seen one alive, so maybe once I see it I will understand.
Thank again!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back