Is the protein content shown accurately on food labels? Best food for FOWLR fishes?

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi There, pls let me know if there are any threads that already covers this, I will just check those out ...

My questions
1. Is the protein content shown accurately on food labels .. I have frozen pack from Two companies and their label show then vary HUGE in protien contents .. see attached Hikari says its is 12% but other company shows their plankton having 3% is this variation possible (given rest of items in the food is disclosed on the packet)
2. I have large FOWLR (220G tank) with 40 G sump and 40G QT with 3 large wrasse, 2 medium angelfish, 1 medium Hippo tang, 1 Dimond goni, 1 sailfish blenny, 1 medium humuhumu, 1 large saddle butterfly, 1 goatfish, pair of ocellaris, ... I feed pellets to all fishes except goatfish who eats only frozen food (any) and pair of clown who eats 1 particular type of pellet daily and most of the frozen. What are good food options for FOWLR and my collection of fishes.

Best food for FOWLR fishes?

20190921_175325.jpg

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rods and LRS are a great mix of frozen foods that should supply all the protein and nutrients your fish need.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Any pellet recommendations?

I prefer pellets as I can better limit waste, given my tank is a FOwLR..

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your fish are bigger then 3 inches try Hikari Marine A. For smaller fish a feed 2mm size PE Pellets by Piscine energetics. For both pellets I hold under the water for a few seconds and try to sink them in a corner of the tank with current off. This way I can better judge how much to feed and the food isn’t getting blown under rocks out of reach of my fish.
As I am sure you are aware dry foods will add much more waste into your system then fresh frozen.
Ingredients such as yeast, starch, flour, molasses, soybean, and a whole boat load of preservatives are found in pellets.
A0A0EA41-A0B3-459E-B25B-D03FAA4B053B.jpeg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference in % protein is probably due to the moisture content and how they do the accounting for moisture in the two brands.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nls is about the best pellet you can buy. I'd stay away from things with a high cash content or with terrestrial based plant stuff all in it. High protein with herbivore would be bad as well. Hardly any fish will eat nls that I've had so I ended up with omega one marine. The ingredient list could be better but everything eats it.

Frozen wise. I strain the water before feeding. I don't care what people say it has a lot of phosphates. LRS is an exception very clean frozen food, but it is pricey.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Animal feed companies are pretty accurate with the analysis. All states require some form of oversight most require access to randomly test on unannounced visits.

Where you will see most differences in what is in them will be based on what the “meal” is from. Most fish meal traditionally was from Chilean anchovies but as aquaculture grows, this resource decreases. And many companies maybe be using other protein sources in conjunction with fish meal. Personally the pellets i make for my fish are based on krill meal for the high Carotenoids and brewers yeast for the Cysteines.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If your fish are bigger then 3 inches try Hikari Marine A. For smaller fish a feed 2mm size PE Pellets by Piscine energetics. For both pellets I hold under the water for a few seconds and try to sink them in a corner of the tank with current off. This way I can better judge how much to feed and the food isn’t getting blown under rocks out of reach of my fish.
As I am sure you are aware dry foods will add much more waste into your system then fresh frozen.
Ingredients such as yeast, starch, flour, molasses, soybean, and a whole boat load of preservatives are found in pellets.
A0A0EA41-A0B3-459E-B25B-D03FAA4B053B.jpeg
thanks for the detailed response and picture!

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Nls is about the best pellet you can buy. I'd stay away from things with a high cash content or with terrestrial based plant stuff all in it. High protein with herbivore would be bad as well. Hardly any fish will eat nls that I've had so I ended up with omega one marine. The ingredient list could be better but everything eats it.

Frozen wise. I strain the water before feeding. I don't care what people say it has a lot of phosphates. LRS is an exception very clean frozen food, but it is pricey.
Agree my phosphate goes thru room if i feed exclusively frozen food ... even the lrs fish frenzy has a lot of small particle stuff that disolve in water ... I do not have cleanup crew or corals ... so I want to add only low-waste food.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pellet recommendations?

I prefer pellets as I can better limit waste, given my tank is a FOwLR..

Honestly the problem is that pellets are an inherently dirtier food source as they use fillers and preservatives that dirty your tank. Trust me I tried many different food sources (dry and frozen) and the water is visibly cleaner when you use a clean frozen food source (ie LRS Reef Frenzy). As for being pricey? Yeah, at $22 per 8 oz package it does seem pricey but a little goes a long way. I feed twice a day and I go about 6 months on a package of food. A single cat costs more to feed per year.

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed new life spectrum pellets and strain my frozen food thru one of these and then add to the tank. Everything gets a drop of selcon also.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back