Is the smell of your reef tank a health indicator or not?

Do you think you can judge the health of your tank by it's smell?

• Yes

Votes: 233 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 134 26.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 134 26.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 2.1%

• Total voters

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey can someone here do the cycling test as well, take a gallon of water and pour it off into a sniffer's pail heh

input some cycling ammonia and mix it up, can you smell that water or not any different than normal water

I need more than one sample size to evaluate if its possible to smell a stuck reef aquarium cycle. as in help, my aquarium is certainly 8ppm but it smells literally as pure as water...can that occur is the test/thresholds etc

sealife4life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m only 11 months so far and catch myself sniffing things lol but like many said a not so good stench is either filter socks or skimmer. I’ve also noticed that doing a weekly (Sunday’s for me) socks swap and skimmer cup cleaning reduces any kind of smell.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week i noticed the tank smelled worse than usual. Took a closer look only to find out my powerheads never came back on after a recent power outage.

So i would say a change in smell could mean something but i don't know if i would say it directly correlates to the tanks condition. If it smells worse id be for sure checking out the system to make sure the skimmer isnt overflowing, filters are clean, etc.

Tundra Cuttle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week i noticed the tank smelled worse than usual. Took a closer look only to find out my powerheads never came back on after a recent power outage.

So i would say a change in smell could mean something but i don't know if i would say it directly correlates to the tanks condition. If it smells worse id be for sure checking out the system to make sure the skimmer isnt overflowing, filters are clean, etc.
Was it a slightly sulphurous smell, faintly of eggs?

PhotonBlue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure one can determine the health of a tank purely by smell (other than obvious rotting death smell) as much as be able to tell something has changed or out of the norm by a different smell.

Tundra Cuttle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure one can determine the health of a tank purely by smell (other than obvious rotting death smell) as much as be able to tell something has changed or out of the norm by a different smell.
I don't think it comes without a pretty extensive level of experience, AKA fixing a lot of messes.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can also usually taste if my salinity is right.
AF553D86-6738-49E4-A937-DBE31BA1AC1F.gif

Diesel 2021

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya'll got me so curious about this I'm definitely smelling the tank when I get home! Lol! And if I vomit that's a problem!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back