OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonis are the new "it" coral over on IG now, so I'm guessing it won't take long for them to blow up over here.
I can see that. Some prices for the “fancy” ones are definitely skyrocketing…I’m looking at you “Glitter bomb” lol

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply put, indo is open and you can obtain even true holy grails with a large enough order. Additionally, all the different variants of holy grails, dragon souls etc really confuse the market. Idk about you but even I see very little difference in a Gods torch vs a really nicely colored up dragon soul/ hellfire. Certainly not enough to warrant 3-4x the price. When indo shut down people had HUGE fomo when it came to corals, euphyllia specifically. Hardly any retail stores farm them, heck even major aquaculture facilities don't really grow them out because it takes forever. So it was easy to sell something in such high demand for whatever price one wanted.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on GSP craze!!!! If that happens, I'm going to be able to retire in a year!

But in all honesty, the hammers and frogspawns seem to be getting more attention now. I think OP's assessment that they have good color options and are more economically priced than torches. I was a vendor at a local coral frag swap for the first time and sold all the gold frogspawn I had to another vendor before the swap even started.

In all honesty, we see these crazy prices for torches and some zoa's, and sticks, but they are not what is driving allot of sales. I sold almost $1,000 of coral at my first show, $10 monti/candy cane/duncan frags drove the sales by far. I imagine it's the same for the big guys, the $30 frags bring the customers in and the $400 torch is that special customer.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply put, indo is open and you can obtain even true holy grails with a large enough order. Additionally, all the different variants of holy grails, dragon souls etc really confuse the market. Idk about you but even I see very little difference in a Gods torch vs a really nicely colored up dragon soul/ hellfire. Certainly not enough to warrant 3-4x the price. When indo shut down people had HUGE fomo when it came to corals, euphyllia specifically. Hardly any retail stores farm them, heck even major aquaculture facilities don't really grow them out because it takes forever. So it was easy to sell something in such high demand for whatever price one wanted.
Hmm. Never looked at it like this. Also didn’t know indo reopened. I agree with the confusing variants. All I know is you have green (with different color tips), purple(light or dark with different color tips) and either of the previous with gold mixed in or almost all gold lol (I’m not up on all the names lol)

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonis are the new "it" coral over on IG now, so I'm guessing it won't take long for them to blow up over here.
+1 on gonis becoming the new "it" coral.
Reefers have gotten a lot better at keeping them and they are colorful, flowy corals making for a must have.
The only fad I have truly, wholeheartedly, absolutely despised was when y'all decided that snake polyps were cool lol

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kicked myself a few months ago on a Goni as I didn’t know the fad they were becoming. My LFS had two glitter bombs (or a variation there of) about baseball sized for $50 each. Next week I was in they were sold

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Never looked at it like this. Also didn’t know indo reopened. I agree with the confusing variants. All I know is you have green (with different color tips), purple(light or dark with different color tips) and either of the previous with gold mixed in or almost all gold lol (I’m not up on all the names lol)
Its been open for a while now. The Rapunzel I kind of think is cool but there are like 10 strains of holy grail now and none of them are holy grails lol. I'm a firm believer in if I like it I'll buy it the name doesn't really matter and it would be cool if the market made a turn in that direction lol

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been open for a while now. The Rapunzel I kind of think is cool but there are like 10 strains of holy grail now and none of them are holy grails lol. I'm a firm believer in if I like it I'll buy it the name doesn't really matter and it would be cool if the market made a turn in that direction lol
That’s what it used to be with occasional exception. I’m in the same boat of I like it, I buy it, with the addition of only if it’s in my price range lol

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping for zoas to blow up again...not the new strains but the classics.
I saw one, I can’t remember the name unfortunately but it was a thread on here of a very common zoa back in the day that was now pushing close to $1k for like 2 polyps. I haven’t been able to find the thread to try to find it locally

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw one, I can’t remember the name unfortunately but it was a thread on here of a very common zoa back in the day that was now pushing close to $1k for like 2 polyps. I haven’t been able to find the thread to try to find it locally
That's just silly

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goni are definitely going to continue to become the replacement for the torch craze. The stuff I saw that 1 vendor is currently sitting on, growing out, when finally released will be well past 1.5k a frag. The market will definitely pay that for these new unreleased goni. The color combos are unbelievable to say the least!

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I was at vivid shopping I was talking to the owner who was complaining how crazy expensive it was for him to get gonis. They’re probably gonna be expensive for a while.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen some beautiful Gonis and Alveoporas. My “Pretty In Pink” Goni has been doing surprisingly well. 10k Halides wash it out some
5546BDD8-CB19-40E5-ACA0-C4B1053CCC18.jpeg

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus one on the gonis
mushrooms are hot and will always be because there are so many kinds bounce and yuma and some of the multi colored fancy hairy mushroom are some of the best sellers even fairly common ones are fetching a nice price

Acro colonies are getting big again alot of websites are now offering chunks of cheap unnamed acro but alot of it looks bomb 200 to 300 for a 5 x 5 x 5 chunk is a steal

Chalice fad is back once again aswell rainbows flamethrowers jellybean unnamed whatever the colors keep getting fancier and brighter and the price keeps skyrocketing

300$ for(insert name here) for al 3/4 inch booger that takes a year or so to become an inch and a half

This is what the coral game has become now flavor boys chasing the flavor of the week and dropping all there other coral for that one piece its ridiculous to me sometimes

The lfs used to have colonies for 20 to 200 dollars now colonies are cut up for profit or if they do offer a nice chunk its pricey which makes u second guess buying it man this could be a downpayment on a new car man this could be all of my Bill's for the month man I coulda bought a used car for that much man that coulda been my rent u really gotta ask yourself is that piece worth it because alot of the time it isnt

That 600$ holy grail 75 to 150$ wholesale

That hot acro 100 a 1/2 in acro200usd for a softball sized colonies wholesale

Those hot 25$ a polyp zoas 40usd a rock for 200 polyps wholesale

Those nice hammer coral 5 to10usd a head wholesale

Mushrooms 10 to 400$ a frag ,600$ a box for 30 rocks 10 to 50 polyps a rock wholesale

Those leathers free with multi box order most of the time same with GPS xenia and clove

Crazy prices sometimes! but on the bright side if u know were to buy coral the prices wholesale haven't changed much from the supplier direct since the indo ban only the price the airline sets on international shipping on cargo per lb Fob from jkharta or wherever the wholesaler is from

And Fiji and Australia aswell as vietnam had problems in the past but have always been able to ship steady to usa for the most part only shipping certain corals during certain seasons under cites and lacey

Just my 2 cents

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just rember tho corals grown under 800$ lights and top of the line synthetic salt, specially formulated amino acids,3 part dosing and formulated diet is going to cost more then corals grown by the equator in the ocean under natural sunlight on a natural diet

Sometime certain species need to be hardened off over al ccertain period of time to adapt to synthetic conditions,is pest free and disease free

But regardless Die off occurs adapting to life inside the confines of a glass or plastic box

And sometimes that's why we pay a premium to know the coral has been hardened off to captive life and synthetic condition

But know which coral are worth paying for and which ones arent

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back