Is the torch craze dying? Whats next?

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why on earth does it matter? Isn't it good enough to just like the corals for what they are instead of chasing trends?

It matters if you are one of the people who are just waiting for the trend to die so you can get them at more reasonable prices. I don't care what kind of fancy name they have either. I just want more colors.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro algae is the new craze. Only because I said so. Make it happen.
Haha I’ve seen some crazy looking macro. I think macro will always have a special place with some people but I think most turn away since it’s just an algae/plant.

Not macros but I have some of “The Fuzz” Green Hair Algae ($50 per 1/2inch clump) and also some “Bloody Carpet” Cyano ($60 per 1/4 inch booger) lol excellent for nutrient export lol

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the Caribbean shuts down, Rock Flowers with quadruple in price.
Hmm I wouldn’t say I see it shutting down, but I could see stricter collection limits or the need to import from Carribean countries (hmm boost the economy of those countries…hmmm)

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The industry has been unfortunately pricing themselves up and out for 3-4 years. Who wants to spend $200-750 or more per head for a torch, an animal that could die in a heartbeat, regardless of how careful you are. It’s heartbreaking and wallet draining. Not sustainable.
Been sustaining fine for 5+ years already for torches. Supply and demand. More and more rich people getting into the hobby and driving prices up.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So after watching a few live sales, it seems the torch craze (with some exceptions), seems to be slowly dying back. More and more are sticking around on the websites longer, the classifieds aren't blowing up as much, and overall slightly lower pricing. It seems the torch craze may be dying back some. The bounce craze still seems to be going strong.

With that said, what do you predict the next craze will be? It seems Hammers are peaking a little bit and Button Scolys. My own opinion is that it's going to hang around various brightly or mixed colored variations of LPS and specifically Frogspawn as I've been seeing alot of color variations as of late, its easily fragable, and still on the low price range.

Anyone care to take any guesses?

Don't forget the disclaimer :p

*Please note, there is no prize if you guess right. The comments, opinions, and analyses expressed in this thread are for informational purposes only and should not be considered individual coral buying advice or recommendations to invest in any coral or adopt any coral buying strategy. I do not warrant the information accuracy or completeness. The views and strategies described in this thread may not be suitable for all coral buyers. Because market conditions are subject to rapid change (i.e. import bans, etc), all comments, opinions, and analyses contained within this thread content are that of the individual poster. The material is not intended as a complete analysis of every material fact regarding any country, region, market, or coral buying strategy.
The torch craze - was in great part due to the various bans - and problems with shipping. (IMHO). I'm not sure that prices are going to drop all that much - because shipping costs have gone up so much.

I don't think that all the sudden people 'fell in love with torches' - but rather they bought a bunch hoping to re-sell them - or they bought them so they would be able to own one.

Thus - its impossible to predict (IMO) the next 'craze'. Look what happened to yellow tang prices right after the Hawaii ban - sky high. You couldnt buy them. now - ho-hum.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goniopora !! I want a red one !!! When it dies down
My one posted above (or previous pages) is quite red looking under blues. It’s not that large though. The frag was half dead when I bought it but seems to be doing nicely

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go gonis!!!

B3D90585-EBE3-40FF-9436-459AB1F31660.jpeg

Back