Is the torch craze dying? Whats next?

H Town Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 2 nice frags of short stemmed gonis last week at a show here in Houston. I have never seen a goni with almost no stem.
20210921_164931.jpg

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trachys, Scolys, Acans. With the current changes taking place in Australia with the cites permit system and the WHO pushing to limit exports to around 5% of the current limits I could see the price of Australian coral skyrocketing. The whole supply and demand that caused Torch prices to go through the roof. I already see Scoly prices rising substantially on the wholesale level as I run a saltwater aquarium specialty store and look through many wholesalers lists.

Gonis are cool though. Some are easier to keep these days or we are just better at keeping them. Dealing with the public selling coral all day people do love coral that adds movement to their tanks.

Swordsman82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blastos seem to be getting really expensive lately. Seeing more and more color varients, but even your basic red and green are getting up there.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blastos seem to be getting really expensive lately. Seeing more and more color varients, but even your basic red and green are getting up there.
I see that for some. There was an all red blasto I saw at a live sale that seemed way overpriced a couple weeks ago but it sold

BiggestE22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after watching a few live sales, it seems the torch craze (with some exceptions), seems to be slowly dying back. More and more are sticking around on the websites longer, the classifieds aren't blowing up as much, and overall slightly lower pricing. It seems the torch craze may be dying back some. The bounce craze still seems to be going strong.

With that said, what do you predict the next craze will be? It seems Hammers are peaking a little bit and Button Scolys. My own opinion is that it's going to hang around various brightly or mixed colored variations of LPS and specifically Frogspawn as I've been seeing alot of color variations as of late, its easily fragable, and still on the low price range.

Anyone care to take any guesses?

Don't forget the disclaimer :p

*Please note, there is no prize if you guess right. The comments, opinions, and analyses expressed in this thread are for informational purposes only and should not be considered individual coral buying advice or recommendations to invest in any coral or adopt any coral buying strategy. I do not warrant the information accuracy or completeness. The views and strategies described in this thread may not be suitable for all coral buyers. Because market conditions are subject to rapid change (i.e. import bans, etc), all comments, opinions, and analyses contained within this thread content are that of the individual poster. The material is not intended as a complete analysis of every material fact regarding any country, region, market, or coral buying strategy.
Gold Hammers under Bluer lighting are a beautiful pink. Gold Hammers FTW

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nice orange hammer and a green and purple that glows a gold/green color under blues.

BiggestE22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very very expensive and easily die. Who wants to spend that kind of money only to have them suddenly die for no reason.
I don’t have the wall kind. Mine has doubled in size since I purchased 4 months ago. I think they require a little more varying flow than some people provide.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing better than a gold hammer is an orange hammer!
Gotta say that I agree here. I really like my orange hammer(s). I started out with two heads about two years ago (on a trade for a t5 retro) and now I have 4 colonies of it! Just this week I got a few more in trade that I'm really eager to see grow out too. A peach frogspawn, a purple hammer, and a splatter jester. I've had a pink frogspawn that is super cool and I'm hoping to get an ultimate frogspawn sometime soon. After that I'll have no more room. I'm not even a collector of these things... just really like the way they look. I may have to sell/trade a colony or two of my orange hammer to make some more room in the lagoon. :0)

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta say that I agree here. I really like my orange hammer(s). I started out with two heads about two years ago (on a trade for a t5 retro) and now I have 4 colonies of it! Just this week I got a few more in trade that I'm really eager to see grow out too. A peach frogspawn, a purple hammer, and a splatter jester. I've had a pink frogspawn that is super cool and I'm hoping to get an ultimate frogspawn sometime soon. After that I'll have no more room. I'm not even a collector of these things... just really like the way they look. I may have to sell/trade a colony or two of my orange hammer to make some more room in the lagoon. :0)
I absolutely love orange hammers. I’m still on the lookout for a very nice Aussie orange hammer. I saw a few but never pulled this trigger. My first orange hammer comes tomorrow but I don’t believe it’s an Aussie. Funny enough, I bought a basically green with blue tip frogspawn last week. I haven’t seen one in quite some time and forgot how nice they look!

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love orange hammers. I’m still on the lookout for a very nice Aussie orange hammer. I saw a few but never pulled this trigger. My first orange hammer comes tomorrow but I don’t believe it’s an Aussie. Funny enough, I bought a basically green with blue tip frogspawn last week. I haven’t seen one in quite some time and forgot how nice they look!
Ooh that’s nice. I haven’t seen those in a while

BWV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures please!

I'll show ya mine....

Attachments

• PXL_20210923_225559684.jpg
    PXL_20210923_225559684.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20211023_020229024.jpg
    PXL_20211023_020229024.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20210923_225605762.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210923_225605762.MP.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to grab a pic in the morning. It’s moonlight time right now lol

BWV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to offer a home to any unfortunate torches that have fallen out of favor with their keepers now that the craze is over.

I know there are many that like to be "in style" with their reefs... here is a guilt free way to get rid of those pesky Aussie Golds, Indo Golds, Jesters, Holy Grail, Dragon Soul, NY Nicks (I'm in NY, it will be like they are just "going home") and other now undesirable creatures, and know they will be admired and well cared for.

I won't charge you a dime...

Look... this torch looks very happy right? I think I can speak for Mr Salty here, and say he is indeed happy and would LOVE some company!

1637424163422.png

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can’t capture the orange with my blues (hoping to get a lens kit). However the first two are pretty accurate to color

Indo Green with Purple Tips
1C69C28B-8DF7-49FA-BA3A-F817FBC63CF0.jpeg

Indo Green and purple
D949EAA1-B352-4E13-A721-5530A88A5373.jpeg

Aussie Orange
3A3190A5-4CF8-4936-B466-1D8F0BCF36DD.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back