Is the Trident really almost here!?! Super excited about this update from Neptune!!

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very excited to see how the trident performs. I have high hopes and expectations. I will not be buying it for two reasons:
1) It is not standalone
2) It uses proprietary communication protocols

If I picked one up cheap then I would definitely reverse engineer the heck out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I was annoyed I had to upgrade my apex (it goes against my grain to replace something that still works) but I have to admit my old apex has been amazing;not even a hiccup. It just works!!. But I am totally stoked about trident!! If this tech works it will be game changing!!

Ironically, I’d made the decision to replace my older lite with the new apex even before trident was teased. I don’t trust old equipment, particularly when I am asking it to do so much ..... and I had run out of custom probe names. I absolutely HATE testing ..... so I don’t do it enough. Even if just as a monitoring facility, it’ll be well worth it to me just to spare me testing drudgery. The dashboard does look very cool .

As a general observation, I always feel slightly sorry for people who see conspiracy theories everywhere ... it must be exhausting.

Last edited:

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I bought my first Apex last year and it has worked flawlessly. I am not good with new technology and I was able to set it up without contacting customer service lol.

I would love to add the trident, but it might have to wait a bit as the $600 price is a little steep. I am sure it will be worth it and I will just have to start saving up.

maxtek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a little Mg, and the Trident clocked it pretty well.

Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 12.17.45 PM.png

That is so cool. I want mine immediately.

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been following this thread since day 1. It has been great to follow along until the last few days. I am a 2016 apex user but do not own ALL of there products by any means. Aquarium controllers are a great tool but by no means are a requirement to run a successful reef tank. YOU choose to by the product, Neptune didn’t force you. You could have bought from a competitor. In my opinion this is not the thread to complain about Neptune or pricing. There’s a whole vendor section for that.

With that said because this is the trident thread I will add a comment about the trident. I think what makes this product so great is it the first mid rage MONITOR that will give you the big 3. I can’t speak for everyone on this forum but I was not ready to drop $1000 on a Alkatronic when I can hit a midrange price point with the trident. But I’m making the decision. If I choose to purchase the trident I can’t complain about price as it was my choice to by it and not Neptune’s.

Good work @Terence i personally look forward to seeing the final product!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This thread has been cleaned from posts that do not directly discuss the topic at hand which is the Trident. Please keep all further posts on topic. Thank you.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be curious to know, beyond the obvious need to replace the reagents based on chosen dosing frequency, what other kind of routine maintenance is likely required? For example, I assume there are dosing heads inside - so periodic replacement of peri tubing, pump heads, stepper motors. etc.? I also assume some kind of periodic calibration will be required? Apologies if these questions have already been asked/answered elsewhere.

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be curious to know, beyond the obvious need to replace the reagents based on chosen dosing frequency, what other kind of routine maintenance is likely required? For example, I assume there are dosing heads inside - so periodic replacement of peri tubing, pump heads, stepper motors. etc.? I also assume some kind of periodic calibration will be required? Apologies if these questions have already been asked/answered elsewhere.
I'm curious of this, also. Especially in regard to where the test is titrated. Is that a glass vial (like all of my test kits?)? Because those get pretty dirty and always seem to have water spots (even after cleaning with vinegar and RO water). Would those potential spots interfere with testing, or is there a cleaning mechanism in play? (Especially since I haven't heard anything about hooking up to a fresh water source for cleaning)?

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will have more on all of this at a later date. There is only one dosing head inside.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough - I am a patient man :D

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am super excited about the Trident. I’m currently running most Apex products between my four setups and love having gear that communicates well to a central brain.

Is everything perfect? No. Are there some good competitive point solutions? Absolutely. But seriously guys... Neptune Apex is the most stable, comprehensive and scalable product suite for reef tech. No one else is even close.

Counting the days like it’s the new Game of Thrones season... take my money!!!!

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t wait for Trident. I have the Apex controller and a GHL 2.1 doser. In my exp GHL doser, while works rock solid, does not have the easy user interface, and you need a Microsoft based computer to set up it and update. My Apex on the other hand is a breeze to maneuver around. And I don’t test as much as I should, so this will be perfect for me. Its a no brainer considering how much I have spent on everything else.

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where’s the trident?

It's out and about in the figment of someone's imagination. No it's just like the three pronged spear it's outdated and not really needed. Haha But for the believers just keep going with the standard reply "It will be out next quarter" they just aren't saying quarter of what year, decade, or century! LOL

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back