Is the Vertex Cerebra the future of aquarium controllers?

What next-generation controller are you planning on getting

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
latest
The mutant Cerebra served as one of the founding members of the X-Men, known for her ability to sense mutants and manipulate the nervous system of opponents. She is a master of control, literally able to feel those around her, and use telekinetic power to control them. Given this, it’s obvious why Vertex decided on the name as the moniker of their upcoming (and long awaited) controller, the Vertex Cerebra. According to Vertex, the Cerebra will change the way aquariums are managed and controlled, tapping into a technology platform not yet explored for aquarium specific purposes. Already Vertex has issued a “Grand Announcement” (taking a cue from North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un) to broadcast the Cerebra’s upcoming release, along with a letter of cooperation that encourages aquarium product manufacturers to develop applications that integrate their products with Cerebra. All of this sounds exciting on the surface, but if we pop the hood and look at the software that makes Cerebra tick, along with what’s been 6 years of development Heck, it’s hard not to start asking some serious questions.

A step back, a step forward, a step where?
Cerebra-3.jpg

If you look at both the new upcoming Neptune Apex or the Fishbit, it seems controller technology is evolving into sleek devices, that take up minimal room near the aquarium and interface with a tablet or smart phone wirelessly. While Neptune’s new Apex is backward compatible with previous displays, the unit is fully functional using only the phone you carry around in your pocket. The same can be said about the Fishbit, which uses a cloud service to graphically interface with and control the device. While cloud control isn’t always the optimal route when investing in technology that demands ironclad reliability, it makes for simplified devices that don’t take up near as much room to mount and utilizes devices aquarists already have (their phone or tablet) for advanced control. While both Fishbit and the new Apex take up little more space than a surge protector, the Cerebra is designed more in-line with a small game console.

It’s a bulky black box, equipped with a large full-color touch screen and cooling fans. The controller main-unit is the brain-center of Vertex’s new control ecosystem, and is connected to various probes and sensors along with a power-bar, which sports a black and transparent finish. Neither the power bar or main-unit look like they belong in the same room as saltwater. You can see that in physical design, the Cerebra may not have fully evolved during its six years of development. It just doesn’t fit in an age of sleek, thin, lightweight smart devices.

Android, on an aquarium controller?
Android-Security-Bug-Found-Hackers-Gain-System-Access.png

Android is a popular mobile OS, constantly sparring with Apple’s iOS as the king of mobile control. Google reports that upwards of 1.3 million Android devices are sold every day, making it both the most popular mobile OS in the world, but also the most popular OS in general. Based around a Linux kernel, Android can accomplish a whole host of processes, but is best served managing communication, web content and media. While other devices (such as wi-fi controlled drones) use Android as an operating system, it’s normally behind the wheel of all-purpose smart devices.

Using Android as the OS on an aquarium controller on one hand, makes a lot of sense. On the other, it raises some important questions. One, Android is prone to bloat ware, spyware, viruses and other maladies that degrade both software and hardware performance, and can be tough for non-tech savvy members of the public to diagnose and correct. It’s been noted by tech insiders that Android is far more vulnerable to security threats compared to Apple’s iOS, or third party device only operating systems. This is because the Android market (Google Play Store) is not nearly as regulated as Apple’s iOS market and programmers have a long leash by which to engineer malicious software. Does this mean that an Android based aquarium controller is vulnerable to an attack that could cause it to wipe out your tank? I guess time will tell.

Vertex has already reached out to product manufacturers asking that they consider making Android applications that allow their products to synchronize with Cerebra, calling this an Open Source movement that will redefine aquarium technology. They specifically call out Neptune Systems in this regard, referencing the fact that Cerebra will not require dedicated modules (as the Apex does) in order to offer support of third-party products. However, this is not true Open Source. An Open Source OS (like Linux) makes its base source code (and the code of various programs) available online, so that a programmer can download it and essentially re-write it however they see fit. If Cerebra was truly Open Source, it would be quite possible for someone to entirely re-write the operating system, and even offer it for download to other users.

What Vertex is referring to, is product manufacture’s ability to design an Android app allowing their products to work with Cerebra. How this will work, is an unknown. Will users have a host of different applications that work independently or in conjunction with Cerebra, or will Cerebra manage each of these applications internally, and report via the cloud back to a mobile device? If it works like other smart devices (such as security cameras, light bulbs and thermostats) then it’s possible there will be a lot of handing off, syncing with Cerebra then updating a mobile dashboard. All in all, it would likely test the reliability of the devices, the OS and Cerebra. Anyone with experience using smart devices and Android, knows that reliability could be better. That doesn’t mean the Cerebra will be unreliable, but it begs further questions about what Vertex is doing to ensure a seamless software experience for Cerebra users, while also ensuring the controller does what it’s programmed to do. Will they offer an exclusive app store, that is managed like the Apple iOS store, where Vertex sets the requirements for Cerebra apps and tests programs before allowing public download? Or will it be a free for all system like the Google Play store, where anyone can use web-based programs to create apps and many do little more than offer an outlet for advertising products, bloating our smartphones and aquarium controller with annoying spam? It’s hard to think that Vertex has resources akin to Apple, Google or even Occulus to manage such a complex, diverse software sharing system. Bright colorful touchscreens are always nice, but they’re also expensive, certainly a departure from the simplicity is better mentality of controllers past, and what appears to be the trend moving forward.

Many aquarists already are shelling out a monthly payment (or a pricey up-front payment) on a high resolution touch screen (a phone or tablet) and might pause before shelling out a lot more for one dedicated to controlling their aquarium.

An app store, internet browsing, multimedia; on your controller:
comingsoon.jpg
It’s been reported that using Cerebra, aquarist’s can check their email, watch online videos, even order corals from the main unit’s HD display. While this all sounds fancy, it seems like major league over-kill for an aquarium controller. Rumors suggest Vertex is developing its own App store, specifically for Cerebra control features and apps. It certainly sounds like Vertex intends to make Cerebra a prime player in the realm of aquarium automation ecosystems. However, all these things open up more and more questions. One, why would any aquarist need to watch You Tube videos on their controller’s display, when 99% of us have an HD screen rattling around in our pocket? Will apps be free, or will some carry with them the trademark .99-2.99 charge? Given the fact that the Cerebra’s app market will be a small fraction of what the general iPhone/Android app market is, will apps for Cerebra carry a premium price? The assumption is that the Cerebra system will work sort of like Occulus Rift’s software, where Android acts as the primary OS, but the Cerebra’s software is layered over that, forming the ecosystem.

Some cool features?
Vertex-Booth-1.jpg

So far, in the realm of actually monitoring and controlling aquarium products, Vertex has announced some interesting features. One, the temperature probe has an LED light on it, which indicates whether or not temperature is in range. Why this needed, when you have a full color HD screen to determine that, is beyond me. Aside from that, everything else is pretty standard when compared to other next-generation controllers. Features include LED lights which report the status of the outlets and both optical and float switch level sensors.

Some room for concern:
Vertex-Aquaristik-Vectra.jpg

I’ve used Vertex’s Omega skimmers for quite some time, and find them to be simple, efficient and displaying high quality craftsmanship. Part of that is thanks to Sicce, who custom designed the pump and volute implemented by Omega skimmers. However, Vertex’s other electronic products have left quite a bit to be desired, in my personal experience. I’ve had nothing but trouble with their Omega skimmer neck cleaner, which retails for an eye watering $ 299.99. For that price you could buy a nice skimmer, depending on your tank’s size. The first neck cleaner I received actually broke while unpacking it. The shaft that spins the rubber scraper 360 degrees is seemingly glued into the motor that turns, and snapped loose under the simple pressure of removing it from the package.

While the replacement I was sent stayed together, its performance leaves a lot to be desired. Often the scraper stops spinning, making the neck cleaner only useful for short bursts of cleaning. All in all, it’s more of a frustration than a real asset. Now, the acrylic pieces that hold titanium screws (used to secure the collection cup cap holding the motor) are popping off one by one, again seemingly super-glued into place.

Vertex’s own Libra automatic dosing pump is another example of a bulky device, that doesn’t live up to expectations. I used a Libra for over a year, after shelling out a draw dropping $ 500.00 on it. My old Bubble Magus dosing pump was easier to program and overall more reliable, so I disbanded use of the Libra.

Final Thoughts:
Vertexintro.sflb.ashx

Vertex sets themselves apart from other companies with unique designs so don’t think I am not excited about the prospect of their new, high powered controller. The arena needs more competition, and it looks like later this year, it will certainly get it. I am just skeptical as to why Vertex decided to implement a powerful (yet complex) umbrella operating system on a specialized device. Offering features an aquarist doesn’t need may sound cool on paper, but it adds more complexity (and likely cost) to the device and could degrade reliability. It certainly is a dramatic departure from other controllers debuting on the market this year.

While an app store sounds interesting, Vertex will have to work double time (investing a slew of resources) to monitor the apps being offered, to ensure aquarists aren’t constantly barraged with half-rate apps that don’t perform and cost money. Given Android’s penchant for “anyone can do it” apps and serious bloatware, it may not be the best option for an aquarium controller, which can make or break a tank’s stability. Compile these concerns with (at least in my humble opinion) Vertex’s less than stellar electronic device offerings, and there is plenty of reason to raise an eyebrow about Cerebra. Somehow in both appearance and potential, the Cerebra smells a bit like Next Computer’s cube. A sleek black box full of nothing but high cost, and supreme disappointment.

Last edited by a moderator:

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up. The only thing I would disagree with is calling Android the "most popular". Instead I would call it the most available though since it is pushed out with nearly every single low end cell phone in the world. Samsung is the only company making pennies off high end smartphones, not called Apple, and even their high end smartphones are only like 15-20% of their overall smartphones. :) Same can be said about the tablet industry.

I have heard quite a few experiences like yours with Vertex products from people here locally. There is no way I am going to buy a controller from a company with less than stellar reviews who is entering a new market they know nothing about. A little too risky at this time.

twistedfinn967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the future of controllers? It sure better be cuz I just ponied up for one the other day!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a pretty one-sided article. No mention of any of the positives it could bring as well. To each their own but I wouldn't go into reading this thread as a fair, open look at a new product coming to market.

I ordered one to check it out myself and to give a fair, honest review. I've been using an Apex for over 5 years and have two at the house running my tanks. I'm open to the idea of something that could be better and I hope it is. If not, I'll give it a fair review and continue using my Apex.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good lord that's alot of time, energy, words and graphics for for what amounts to a few minor concerns. Allow me to summarize and add my own thoughts: It's too big (so what, have you seen the new Apex?), it uses android (no downside here), others can write programs/apps that work on it (awesome), those apps may not work well (I delete useless apps from my phone all the time) and you've had problems with Vertex products in the past (not uncommon for any manufacturer, this product will either work or not -- see Apex).
Forgive me if I'm off base, but given the length and slickness of your piece (not to mention the tasteless reference to Kim Jong Un), I have to ask, do you work for another controller company?

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I do own a Vertex auto neck cleaner that has run just fine for me for two years now. The motor recently went out on it and David at Vertex has been extremely helpful with trying to diagnose it and when it still didn't work, helping me order a replacement motor. I think the construction on the neck cleaner was top notch and the packaging was custom molded foam with super thick cardboard, some of the best packaging I've seen from a product in saltwater.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good lord that's alot of time, energy, words and graphics for for what amounts to a few minor concerns. Allow me to summarize and add my own thoughts: It's too big (so what, have you seen the new Apex?), it uses android (no downside here), others can write programs/apps that work on it (awesome), those apps may not work well (I delete useless apps from my phone all the time) and you've had problems with Vertex products in the past (not uncommon for any manufacturer, this product will either work or not -- see Apex).
Forgive me if I'm off base, but given the length and slickness of your piece (not to mention the tasteless reference to Kim Jong Un), I have to ask, do you work for another controller company?
He writes articles for Reefs.com on occasion as I've seen some of his articles on there. I think he was the one that ripped on the new Kessil when it came out calling it just two kessils side-by-side and saying it wasn't worth the money when in fact, there were large technical improvements that made the comparison ridiculous.

https://reefs.com/2015/10/08/the-high-cost-of-the-new-kessil-ap700-light-fixture/

nitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I agree it sounds a little one sided,but the way they are releasing this controller is a little strange. I would like them to just give us all the info now and let us decide if we want to make the purchase, instead we get this great deal up front for a limited time and just bits of info all along the way. Just makes me feel like I am rolling the dice because the price is so low it is worth the chance.

nitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also feel better if BRS had more to do with this launch, they have been the biggest seller here in the US. Why are they not part of this deal?
Nitro

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I agree it sounds a little one sided,but the way they are releasing this controller is a little strange. I would like them to just give us all the info now and let us decide if we want to make the purchase, instead we get this great deal up front for a limited time and just bits of info all along the way. Just makes me feel like I am rolling the dice because the price is so low it is worth the chance.
Agreed. The way I look at it is more like a beta test. The early adopters get to take it for a joyride at a lower price, provide feedback, and hopefully in the end make it a better product overall with the refinements.

Either that or tell everyone its crap and save their money. [emoji4] If that's the case, I'll upload a video of me and a couple other reefers going Office Space on it.

OP
OP
jeremy.gosnell

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's certainly not meant to be one sided, but is meant to make aquarists aware of potential concerns. Vertex has taken a dramatic departure from previous aquarium controllers, which may be either good or turn out bad. Just looking at the Vertex quickly shows the difference between this system and other devices. When I reached out to Vertex about the Cerebra, they were quick to tell me how you can watch You Tube videos on it and play popular Android games. That's all well and good, but has nothing to do with controlling or monitoring an aquarium. They were unable to tell me how the Cerebra will be secured from common Android glitches and other security threats. Various anti-virus software products are available for Android, will one be needed for the Cerebra? My concerns are cemented in stability, and IME (which I admit, is anecdotal) Android isn't the most stable platform. It's easily hacked, easily infected with malware and prone to locking up, etc. Android does allow users to write their own apps, which is far less regulated than Apple's iOS system. This is both good and bad: yes anyone can write an app, and even charge a fee to download them, but with no oversight many of those apps don't function well and can open the system up to more advertising and bloatware. The Android OS is synonymous with bloatware. I praise Vertex for trying something new, and Android/Google's data tracking capabilities could open up some interesting features. What bothers me is that both aquarists and Vertex are advertising this as a major leap in controller design and function. One aquarist commented to me that this controller takes us out of the stone-age. That simply isn't reality based. A tech-savvy person could use an Android device and some cloud-controlled power outlets to control an aquarium, likely for a fraction of the cost of the Cerebra - and my concern is, it may be equally as reliable. It's a classic time will tell scenario, as we won't know until users start sharing their experiences. I will however greatly disagree on the neck cleaner. The packaging was nice and the unit felt heavy and solid. It's performance left a lot to be desired and most independent reviews of the device show that. Your device has quit working after only two (2) years of service. That's not a good performance time for a 200-300 device. No, I don't work for another controller company.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeremy.gosnell

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I've found that many people don't understand how cloud controlled technology and mobile technology works. There are concerns about company support of cloud servers if a device doesn't meet expected sales and smart-home products have suddenly been left without function, due to mergers with larger companies, acquisitions or just poor performance. Cloud controlled technology requires the management of cloud servers, which is expensive and requires a large user-base to justify. I pointed this out in several articles about Fishbit, which is crowdfunded adding another layer of concern to cloud server management worries. Tech devices rise and fall all the time. Even major technology companies have numerous flubs (just look at the Nintendo Virtual Boy and now Wii U). A lot of work goes into setting up, programming and installing an aquarium controller. Just mounting all the applicable components in a appealing way is work. It's not something you want to have to rip out and replace, and anytime you have to start from scratch with another controller, you risk aquarium stability issues. The reason I am partial to Neptune Systems is because they've been around for a long time and their Apex line of controllers consistently provides stable performance. I've used an Apex controller for as long as they've been around and have had controller technology since it was first available on the market. I am well aware of the challenges brought on by replacing, switching and changing controller technology along with all the hiccups that come with it. Neptune has gradually improved the Apex and added multiple features that easily tie into the system, and they've done so with a simple interface that continues to evolve into a better user experience. They haven't erased the slate and started over, meaning that users will be able to integrate much of what they are already familiar with into a new Apex system. I just don't see this large, bulky Android based controller as having the form and function of a controller designed and built from the ground up to control an aquarium and provide stability. Android is a blanket OS meant to do just about anything. This makes it versatile, but it also makes it hard to tailor to a very specific task. We don't need GPS, an accelerometer or Angry Birds to monitor our aquarium and having those features as part of the OS of our controller will IMHO just lead to decreased performance. But, like I said, time will tell. As an aquarium writer, I try to guide aquarists into making informed decisions that will provide long-term success. This goes for everything from how to manage water quality on up to what controller to implement. I don't want to see aquarists jump on this $ 375.00 band-wagon, make changes to an already successful tank to implement it and be left out in the cold if the technology doesn't live up to expectations. I think anyone would be wise to sit the $ 375 period out, see how the technology performs and go from there. I am not aware of Vertex offering a real beta test as most tech companies due for a new product - where the product is sent to both advanced/novice users for their input and suggestion - then improved. Charging someone for a device before it has time to meet the market isn't beta testing - as beta testing opens a line of communication between the tech developer and the beta testers. Those who have bought the discounted Cerebra have bought the controller, it's theirs for better or for worse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeremy.gosnell

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitro - BRS is known to test the products they carry carefully and only offer products they feel are worth the money to their customers. Like you, the fact that BRS is sitting out on the Cerebra so far, raises questions in my mind. I haven't yet reached out to Ryan at BRS, but I may do so.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jeremy, for a guy who isn't interested in purchasing the product and who has no affiliation with the competitor, you sure are investing a tremendous amount of time trying to convince Vertex's target market to stay away. All without a single piece of evidence that this isn't the bees knees. I have thousands invested in my Apex system and am in no hurry to change. But, apparently unlike you, I WANT competition in the industry and am willing to be an early adopter and give this thing a try. My risk is a few hundred dollars which in this hobby is not alot of money.

If you have your way, Vertex's launch will fail and all of us early adopters will be left with a brick. How about we all wait and see how the Cerbra performs in the real world before declaring its crap and warning everybody away? It may end up being a horrible controller, but give it a chance.

OP
OP
jeremy.gosnell

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
acesq - I certainly welcome the competition. What I am disappointed in, is I don't see any advertising from Vertex that explains how this product will work. Before I shell out any money on something, I like to have an understanding of how it works. Is Vertex layering software over-top of Android to form their control ecosystem? How will apps control third-party products, what features will this offer, what manufacturers will offer apps and from where can they be downloaded? Will Vertex offer an app store, sort of like how Occulus does for their Android based VR device? I've seen video of the Cerebra playing Angry Birds and web-content, but no video of how it works to control an aquarium. I haven't seen an advertisement akin to how Apple shows the features of a new product or OS. I have seen an open letter to product manufacturers posted on Facebook encouraging them to develop applications for Cerebra to control their products. However, even this was a bit misleading as it referred to the Cerebra as an Open Source platform. It's not, as the actual coding of the Cerebra's OS won't be freely available to be edited and changed by private programmers at will. Vertex is promising us the future of aquarium controllers - yet there still seems to be lots of shadows around just how this device will work.

It's not just a few hundred bucks you're out, if you purchase a Cerebra and it doesn't live up to expectations. Say there are stability issues for early adopters, and the Cerebra fails to turn off a sticking heater or doesn't perform a schedule like it's supposed to. Say an Android error causes an ORP probe to misread and leaves an ozone generator running, when it should have kicked off. Even worse, my experience with Vertex's customer support has been less than perfect. I am still waiting for a replacement ozone valve on a brand new Omega skimmer that I requested 9 months ago. There is no community of beta testers rising up, that are openly talking about their experiences with Cerebra and giving early adopters a place to learn how the system works, and offer troubleshooting information (at least that I am aware of).

A controller is the heartbeat of an aquarium, managing many, many different functions. It's a huge commitment to trust a device to monitor and control vital aquarium functions, and the risk runs well beyond a few hundred bucks. I am not trying to sabotage the Cerebra, but I am trying to encourage aquarists to ignore hype surrounding the products release and ask some important technical questions about how the platform will function. I certainly haven't declared its crap, but have simply pointed to a longer than average development time (6 years or so), a dramatic departure in style from proven/reliable technology, use of an all purpose mobile OS and murky waters around how the controller functions and integrates with aquarium equipment. Transparent power bars, HD touch screens, sleek designs and LED lit probes are all cool looking, but a controllers worth is in how it stands up to day to day reliability tests. Another important question is what happens with Cerebra when the internet goes down, or there is a power outage. How does the system restore, do apps cease functioning on re-boot like they do on many Android devices.

I wouldn't say I won't buy a Cerebra, but I will say I'd like to see some impartial analysis of the product before doing so, or suggesting that others do the same. Our industry has a bad habit of over-hyping new products that simply don't deliver on their promises. I am not saying Cerebra is that - but it sort of smells that way to me.

Confuse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He writes articles for Reefs.com on occasion as I've seen some of his articles on there. I think he was the one that ripped on the new Kessil when it came out calling it just two kessils side-by-side and saying it wasn't worth the money when in fact, there were large technical improvements that made the comparison ridiculous.

https://reefs.com/2015/10/08/the-high-cost-of-the-new-kessil-ap700-light-fixture/

ORLY? Being an AP 700 owner, I can definitely say that the light does not resemble 360's. Wonder if this guy even tested one out.

EDIT: WOW! I just read the Kessil article. The guy never even tested one out. LOL

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This article seems like a paid bashing article. All credibility lost for the poster.

Also, to bash a company because they pulled their product several years ago to incorporate relevant features of that time is just plain ridiculous. The company did not want to release a product that did not have all the latest features; even so, releasing the product and adding the features later would screw early adopters. I am pretty much glad a company decided to take time to build the controller till it is 100% ready for the public. There have been several "controllers" released that have failed and many others that were pulled and never showed up. At least this company was still at it and showed the work from waiting.

Apex released the New Unit claiming it was 100% ready and it has wifi connectivity issues which is one of its selling points. Everyone seems to be quiet about that. Not so much uproar ( just a few posts) or articles. Yet, you make an article about a product that hasn't been to any consumer to deter early adopters.

This article makes me glad that I took a chance and bought one even though I will not get to use it till November.

Back