Is there a compiled list of salt parameters?

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got a really bad batch of Red Sea blue bucket and am trying to see if there is a salt out there that would help so I dont have to add magnesium to the mix anyway.

does anyone have a compiled list of commonly available salts and their alk/cal/mag values?

im looking for 8/430/1400 ish

i think it would be good to have a sticky somewhere on here with all the salt parameters.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened with your blue bucket? That’s what I use and I got a wonky bucket a couple years ago.

Here’s the most recent test of a good number of salts. There’s a number of others as well.

I think ESV, Aquaforest or Fauna Marin would be closest to your target parameters.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a really bad batch of Red Sea blue bucket and am trying to see if there is a salt out there that would help so I dont have to add magnesium to the mix anyway.

does anyone have a compiled list of commonly available salts and their alk/cal/mag values?

im looking for 8/430/1400 ish

i think it would be good to have a sticky somewhere on here with all the salt parameters.
This sounds like a good project! You can find the parameters for most salt mixes on their respective websites. Once you (and other contributors) have a decent list, tag or message one of the mods to have it "stickied" :)

Edit: never mind, looks like spsick already started one!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know, sorry, but curious about your current Mg levels?

Also, I have seen batches of salt in large bags that seemed to have separated in shipping so that th Mg flakes were on the surface of the bag.? If you mixed up the entire bag it would have been perfect but if you grabbed off the top and mixed up a gallon ( of the 200 gallon bag) the Mg could be through the roof with the specific gravity at “sea level.”

You might need to mix up your entire bag and dilute the tank with that to get closer to normal?

OP
OP
slythy

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What happened with your blue bucket? That’s what I use and I got a wonky bucket a couple years ago.

Here’s the most recent test of a good number of salts. There’s a number of others as well.

I think ESV, Aquaforest or Fauna Marin would be closest to your target parameters.

Don’t know, sorry, but curious about your current Mg levels?

Also, I have seen batches of salt in large bags that seemed to have separated in shipping so that th Mg flakes were on the surface of the bag.? If you mixed up the entire bag it would have been perfect but if you grabbed off the top and mixed up a gallon ( of the 200 gallon bag) the Mg could be through the roof with the specific gravity at “sea level.”

You might need to mix up your entire bag and dilute the tank with that to get closer to normal?
My current blue bucket my parameters are as follows

alk 6.5
Cal 375
Mag 1150

im looking at Frits salt as thats what my lfs swears by and sells. Also its pretty close to what I want parameter wise.

I was really interested in aquaforest but it apparently doesnt store long term well.

I currently raise my blue bucket salts 1250 mag to 1400 mag which is just spending extra money and this bucket caused some stn on my sps because i didnt test it before doing a water change. Lesson learned :(

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back