Is there a guide for designing aluminum extrusion stands?

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I'm going to do my stand like Framing Tech's design, with a difference being having the bottom be the same as the top as far as having the bottom be one frame with the supports directly transferring the weight of the tank from the top frame to the bottom frame... I don't like the legs putting the weight on the floor. I'd rather that be spread out a bit. Probably doesn't make a huge difference, but it's easy enough to adjust for. At the same time, I'll probably have to shim it, which means not all of it will be flush, but oh well. I still like it better than all the weight just being on 8 legs.

Do I need to put a gusset on every corner? Most of the stands I see don't have any.

Brandon
There is some differences of opinions as to whether to use leveling feet or just straight bar across the floor. Either way can work but the important consideration here is the construction of the floor. I'm more in the same camp as you. I prefer to spread out the weight across a larger surface area. There is a simple trick to leveling the stand this way. Just trim the legs to get the top to be level. That way the base sits as flat as possible to the floor while the top is bubble level.
As far as gussets, the more the better as they add torsional strength.
Are you getting a blue print plan from Framing Tech?

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. I like the idea of trimming the legs to get it level. My concern is that once you add water to the tank, it may shift a tiny bit. Usually not enough to matter, but sometimes. And I will be reinforcing the floor under this tank, too, for that matter BEFORE it is filled.

Not planning on getting a blue print from them because I don't plan on purchasing from them. I don't want to use their time to give someone else business. Doesn't sit right with me. Thus I'm asking these questions. lol

Brandon

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back