is there a possibility for an AC20 DIY "Pod Safe Zone" similar to fuge? Copepod solutions with no sump/fuge

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon reef, no sump just hob skimmer/filter and I am looking to increase and support a pod population without having to maintain / trim chaeto or another macro.

Is there any support on the idea that the corrugated material used to make pod hotels can be cut and formed into an AquaClear 20 so that copepods have a safe place to hang out, I am looking at the AC20 as too small of a HOB filter to have any effect on the tank as a refugium

I do have a bag of Matrix as the top layer of my Aqua Clear 70 HOB filter currently running, could that surface area sustain a copepod population?

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods really will live anywhere. But idk if its really possible to make a low flow area in a AC20 they are small filters.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copepods will live in your rock work and substrate. Those copepod hotels are more designed for amphipods

OP
OP
G

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copepods will live in your rock work and substrate. Those copepod hotels are more designed for amphipods
I have thrown the AC20 with two bags of ceramic media and the lowest flow, to act almost like a refuge allowing fish less habitat for pods
Can I expect this to do much, I’ve had thoughts about throwing pellets in the back of the 20 to promote detritus and algae for them back there but can’t seem to find much on the topic

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed a quart bag of Snail Shells in my Substrate, just for that purpose. The Corrugated Sign material works for Copods, not so much for Amphipods.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back