Is there a safest "non safe" large angel fish for a mixed reef tank?

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll open up with understanding the word "safer" is highly dependent and that most large angels are not reef safe. But.....

For a mixed reef tank, is one large angel species "safer" than other species? Is a regal safer than a scribbled or emperor angel?

Question excludes reef safe angels like the Genicanthus genus.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the individual fish, I’ve got several different species in my S650 including an emperor, regal, flame, blue face, coral beauty, and to date they have been fine other than the emperor and blue face nipping at occasional LPS

Ive been researching them for my big tank, and my ’current’ decision is not to risk it because is mainly SPS with LPS etc and once they go in I won’t be able to catch them

The emperor is/was going to move into my big tank but I’m not sure now.

So you take your chances I guess.....

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on which corals you prefer to keep. Zoa gardens are usually like skittles to angels.

That bring said I've read a lot about regales in mixed reefs foing well. Empowers I believe are almost always good with sps but more prone to nip at LPS then a majestic.

I'd say regal, blue face, majestic, and emperor are you're safest bets but research

U

User1

View Badges
Reef safe with caution is just that. With caution. So it will come down to the hobbyist and what their acceptable risk for corals are. Example I have a Coral Beauty. It likes zoas. To me it is acceptable to not have them in my tank as I prefer the CB and owned it for a long time (8 years). Every once in a while I will try a small cheap zoa frag and each time it doesn't last 24 hours.

What is acceptable. That is important so that you don't get upset and disrupt the tank to remove and thus causing more trouble down the road :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back