Is there a starfish that can be successfully kept in a nano reef tank?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Someone recently asked me about keeping a sea star in a nano tank. The only stars that I'm familiar with are not good candidates for nano reef tanks. ...but that doesn't include very many varieties. The Sand Sifting Star would be a bad idea in a nano for feeding reasons (basically these guys eat micro fauna and would deplete a nano very quickly...and then starve). A Chocolate Chip Star would not work out with the corals in a reef tank... Brittle/serpent stars would be easier to keep but would never be visible. I'm not sure about Linckias (I just don't know much about what they eat)...could a Linckia be fed and kept in a nano? Thoughts? Any help is appreciated.

reefsandrotts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fromia star but it's still a toss up for starvation since they won't take supplemental foods. So I would say no to stars in a nano

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the species but I have a ton of brittle stars that never get bigger than a nickel and little white stars that live on glass and rock and rarely get as big as a dime.

They'd seem to be candidates. Both thrive in my larger system.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept parvulastra exigua in a 9 litre bucket before. I had rock curing in it and one of these guys attached. I collect them in rock pools around my way. They're coral eaters though, so no good for a reef environment but great algae eaters. They will accept prepared foods too, I give them nori and chopped seafood occasionally and they eat both.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I forget rw name but there red and small stars eept them in a 34solana for over 7months before I took the tank down

I'm thinking you might be talking about a fromia. I had thought about them, but I'm not sure what they eat. :squigglemouth: Same with the linckia...

Tushhog47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept a Nardoa Spp for over two years in a 20 gallon reef. They only need to be fed krill twice a week and they are good to go.
images

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brittle star will hide behind a rock and all you will see is the legs. Just don't buy a green one.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have kept a Nardoa Spp for over two years in a 20 gallon reef. They only need to be fed krill twice a week and they are good to go.
images

Awesome info. Any idea where to buy one? This one is new to me.

Tushhog47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our local pet store carries them all the time and said they are readily available. I don't know if you have Jack's Pets near you but they carry them also. They are normally like 20 dollars a piece.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daniel I have a banded serpent that's been in my 10g nano going on 7 years now. Yes it hides but it is easily seen for hours after it's been fed.

joshbbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a red sea star in my ten been in for about 5 months with no issues hes very active and adds a nice splash of red :)

reefer81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone recently asked me about keeping a sea star in a nano tank. The only stars that I'm familiar with are not good candidates for nano reef tanks. ...but that doesn't include very many varieties. The Sand Sifting Star would be a bad idea in a nano for feeding reasons (basically these guys eat micro fauna and would deplete a nano very quickly...and then starve). A Chocolate Chip Star would not work out with the corals in a reef tank... Brittle/serpent stars would be easier to keep but would never be visible. I'm not sure about Linckias (I just don't know much about what they eat)...could a Linckia be fed and kept in a nano? Thoughts? Any help is appreciated.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back