is there a tank lid that doesnt take 3 months to get?

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a custom tank and are concerned about the length of time it takes to get a custom cover? Can your tank builder create something?

Short term just get the screen material and tape it down till your custom one arrives.

My lid, arrived in 6 weeks, they said it would take 3 months initially. So things aren't always what they appear.

Clearview has short times listed on their site depending on what you want.
yea. Silly Me. My custom tank didn’t 80 days, so I figured I lid wouldn’t take that long. Clear view states 80 days for a custom
One how I’d want it. and another company I’d been talking to, Top Lids basically ghosted me, after giving me a quote and asking for an invoice to pay I haven’t heard from him in 2 weeks.

I guess just like everything else with a custom tank, it’s a pain the butt to get done.

I've got one from @cromag27, Octo Aquatics. Don't recall what the wait time was, but IMHO, it was well worth it.

You really want to look at a diy window screen every time you look at your expensive, custom aquarium?
No I don’t want it to look cheap and homemade like my old tanks. cant have a nice tank with an ugly top
Get a cheap net lid as described by others above and get an octo lid from cromag. Yes its 4-6 weeks but a very nice product.

It sucks waiting but its definitely worth it.

FWIW we had to go on vacation and the lid only took 4 weeks. Although it didn't arrive before our vacation the temporary net lid worked until we got it.

For a really CHEAP DIY go to walmart and get 4-8 suction cups with hooks and buy a fishing wire net and just strap it onto the 4-8 suction hooks and presto instant short term cheap net lid until your new lid arrives.

Yes this is very DIY!
I’ll give him a message and check out his stuff. 4-6 weeks is half of what AA has listed so ....
I think the DD Jumpguard Pro looks much better than the typical DIY lids. It sits a little recessed from the rim. Plus it comes with black mesh:

1573658468707.png
Is that whole thing one big piece or is it broken up into 2 smaller squares each removable?

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the way to go! I have one of the expensive polycarbonate and clear mesh custom ones and I HATE how it transmits and reflects light. I had it on the tank for one day before it was moved to the equipment heap in the basement.
This is the first I’ve ever heard any complaints of this style. You have pics or video? All the complaints I hear are about evap moisture collecting on the acrylic

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just avoid those ClearView modular lids. They are NOT compatible with salt, and ClearView will not warranty them once the connections start to crack.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just avoid those ClearView modular lids. They are NOT compatible with salt, and ClearView will not warranty them once the connections start to crack.
Just get the Classic model, it’s a solid 1 piece lid. Costs more but worth it.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's one big piece.
I don’t like the idea of the whole thing being one piece, without any feed doors or anything cause then I’d have to take down a 6 foot lid every day 2x a day....

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get the Classic model, it’s a solid 1 piece lid. Costs more but worth it.
Do you have the issues with condensation build up on those that I hear about all the time? Seems that’s why they added the holes like in the exo

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the issues with condensation build up on those that I hear about all the time? Seems that’s why they added the holes like in the exo
Octoaquatics ie:cromag27 can add feed doors that wouldn't require you to remove the lid other than for tank maintenance. I have two lids from him that do get slight condensation localized to certain corners, but in my opinion it is not enough to take away from the aesthetics of the tops themselves.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pics as I don't use it. Condensation is the other annoying thing. Light is transmitted through the edges like fiber optics. The clear mesh has a reflective property to it like a star sapphire if you know what I mean. The reflection of the light moves as you move. I found the thing very distracting. Matte black makes way more sense to me on a beautiful rimless tank.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about 2x 30x30 lids, rather than 1x 30x60. Went with the single, in the end, not really sure if I made the right decision or not.

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have almost precisely the same tank, frameless, 3/4 inch glass, 72 x 23 custom (peninsula style).

I hear your frustration with timing. Ignore that. Clear View all the way. Just put the order in, today. A year from now you will forget the timing issue. Best money I have spent in this hobby, hands down. My lid fits like a glove, works with overflow and return pipe. Still sturdy, three years after. They really take the time to do it right.

Get eggcrate while you wait. Don't throw away time and money on a DIY (been there, did that, have the t-shirt).

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea. Silly Me. My custom tank didn’t 80 days, so I figured I lid wouldn’t take that long. Clear view states 80 days for a custom
One how I’d want it. and another company I’d been talking to, Top Lids basically ghosted me, after giving me a quote and asking for an invoice to pay I haven’t heard from him in 2 weeks.

I guess just like everything else with a custom tank, it’s a pain the butt to get done.

No I don’t want it to look cheap and homemade like my old tanks. cant have a nice tank with an ugly top

I’ll give him a message and check out his stuff. 4-6 weeks is half of what AA has listed so ....

Is that whole thing one big piece or is it broken up into 2 smaller squares each removable?
One piece, though if you wanted you could break it up with a bit of modding I suppose.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any options out there for tank screen lids/covers that doesnt take 3 months or more to get?

Seems like a pretty ridiculous amount of time to CNC cut some arcylic....
Hoping that there are more than just the couple big brands here, that im not finding.

I have one of those ones you cut and saw yourself. Works fine for me.

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I found that has worked well for me is tulle fabric. I used it on a Diy window screen cover. It's an extremely fine mesh but also very strong. The clear tulle is almost invisible.

Back