Is there a trace element “multivitamin” worth dosing?

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Background:
I’ve been overwhelmed reading about trace elements and different methods. I’ve read a lot of the articles @Randy Holmes-Farley has on the sticky. I’ve also tons of different methods/theories such as reef moonshiners, triton, balling (aquaforest, tropic Marin, etc). Water changes seem fairly ineffective at replacing trace elements as they aren’t frequent enough.

There is a lot of conflicting information.

I’m inclined to fall back on my schooling/training in which there is no additional benefit/advantage to having elevated vitamins/minerals, etc.

My goal: growth, color, and wellness of the tank.

Questions:
-Is there a way to dose something like a “daily multivitamin” for the tank to ensure there is enough of everything but high confidence that there is not over accumulation? If so, which one?
-what trace elements would be helpful in general to dose?
-without any real time testing, you are essentially monitoring 2 weeks ago with an icp analysis…. That doesn’t really help in retrospect other than to tell you to stop dosing?
-while I know trace elements have biological activity, is this something worth worrying about when in theory some should be entering the tank via food?

Any additional insights would be helpful.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea ReefEnergy AB+ daily. I add a mix of supplements twice a week (Nyos Coral Nectar, Absolute Aminos, Instant Plankton, LPS Power and Reef Roids). Nyos Strontium, Iodine and Active Elements get added approximately every 2 weeks. I do test the trace elements manually about once a month, but since the doses are really low the levels are usually very close to normal parameters.

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use Red Sea ReefEnergy AB+ daily. I add a mix of supplements twice a week (Nyos Coral Nectar, Absolute Aminos, Instant Plankton, LPS Power and Reef Roids). Nyos Strontium, Iodine and Active Elements get added approximately every 2 weeks. I do test the trace elements manually about once a month, but since the doses are really low the levels are usually very close to normal parameters.
Interesting! — how are you manually testing trace elements??

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! — how are you manually testing trace elements??
I've got a Red Sea Trace Elements test kit, so this gives me my iodine, iron and potassium. I realize this isn't everything, but it covers the main ones.

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All-for-Reef, I think that is all.
This is what I have been leaning towards trying; however, I haven’t had a ton of calcium/alk uptake (tank not fully stocked and still only 5 months old)— because of this I have ruled it out, but I suppose I could look into their A and K supplements?

freezie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Red Sea Trace Elements test kit, so this gives me my iodine, iron and potassium. I realize this isn't everything, but it covers the main ones.
How do you like the test kit? I hear 2/3 are great but one of them is a pain. Can’t remember which..

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back