Is there a valve to prevent the return nozzle from sucking back water (Fish safety question!)

An_Enemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RedSea Reefer 250 and whenever I turn off the return pump to feed my fish, it creates a powerful vacuum when it sucks water back into the sump.
It makes me worried about the safety of the fish in my tank since the force is enough to tear a small fish in half if it gets too close.

Is there a one-way valve I can get that attaches to the return nozzle? I've seen check valves mentioned in some searches but it's hard to find reliable information.

To be clear, this has nothing to do with water filling the sump, that's not an issue, it's entirely to do with the sucking being dangerous to fish.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe these are what you’re looking for

they are known to fail after time though so are suggested you replace them once a year

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your better option though IMO would be to position the return lines at the top of the water so when the pump turns off the amount of time and water that back flows is minimal to nonexistent.

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RedSea Reefer 250 and whenever I turn off the return pump to feed my fish, it creates a powerful vacuum when it sucks water back into the sump.
It makes me worried about the safety of the fish in my tank since the force is enough to tear a small fish in half if it gets too close.

Is there a one-way valve I can get that attaches to the return nozzle? I've seen check valves mentioned in some searches but it's hard to find reliable information.

To be clear, this has nothing to do with water filling the sump, that's not an issue, it's entirely to do with the sucking being dangerous to fish.
This only works if you are manually feeding, but the return nozzle is a union joint (I’m sure you know this) and when I’m feeding or doing a WC, I simply move the nozzle up out of the water. You still get back flow through the gate into the overflow, but you’ll avoid the risk you’re taking about.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back