Is there a way to fix leaky plumbing

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hook a shop back up to the line and plug the other end... apply glue where the leak is and the shop vac should suck it into the pipe. I've fixed leaks using this method before.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used two part epoxy to fix a little river of water coming out of a tank bulkhead which had gotten moved slightly. I couldn't take it apart without a total tank tear down. I started with gel super glue which slowed some of it, then finished it off with a two part epoxy.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YOu didn't post pics but take a look at these.

1619727521311.png

1619727556422.png
He can make his own with a repair slip coupling. The correct ones don’t have the ring inside to bottom out the pipe. Cut it into two rings and you get two for $0.96. If you can only find the regular couplings with the little raised ring inside, just cut either side of the ring.

then cut 1/3rd of it out to make a C. Then you can smear it all on the inside and the lip closest to the leak with cement and it’ll bend enough to slip over your pipe.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if you had tried flex paste ......
I tried that flex seal for a crack around the drain in my shower, the floor flexed too much:p. I fixed it with a shower patch kit and a piece of PVC for a drain sleeve sealed in place with bondo. Leaks gone.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done that too.....

Fired up the return, and very quickly had 30G of water everywhere.
Oh yeah ..... used to dry fit all the plumbing. Really good way to forget to weld a joint.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hook a shop back up to the line and plug the other end... apply glue where the leak is and the shop vac should suck it into the pipe. I've fixed leaks using this method before.
Have to watch using that method since the fumes are highly flammable if the shop vac motor generates a spark.

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some more solvent around the pipes. Letting it cure now. If that doesn't fix it then I'll see about cutting it out tomorrow and redoing..

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI- I’ve had ok success with this if the pipe was gravity flowing, even a full siphon, but never if the pipe was pressurized.

2 times with drains worked, 1 on an independent manifold on the pressured side didn’t. So not many ‘sample numbers’ but worth a shot before cutting it out

I added some more solvent around the pipes. Letting it cure now. If that doesn't fix it then I'll see about cutting it out tomorrow and redoing..

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI- I’ve had ok success with this if the pipe was gravity flowing, even a full siphon, but never if the pipe was pressurized.

2 times with drains worked, 1 on an independent manifold on the pressured side didn’t. So not many ‘sample numbers’ but worth a shot before cutting it out
It is on my return line. I just turned it back on after about 2 hours of cure so far no leaks but time will tell..

TigerReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
868B5AC5-EF22-4420-B0F3-B775B529AB36.jpeg

My son wanted to help ‘glue the pipes’. I ended up with a small trickle on my main drain line. The fix? I turned off the return pump and cleaned up the joint as much as I could. I injected BRS super glue and said a prayer. So far so good.
...and every time I see that hot mess of a glue seam... I remember how awesome it was to pull my teenager off the screen and into the hobby!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back