Is there a way to get a torch to split further apart?

bigmoose52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be rhetorical but the torch colonies I have, grow amazing and split frequently. Issue is the heads are so close together it’s hard to frag. Is there a trick to get the heads to seperate more?

Reefer Matt

The Guy You Saw On YouTube That One Time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tissue fully separated? Usually they split, but take a couple months to fully separate. I don't recall a way to force them to separate apart farther.

OP
OP
B

bigmoose52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seperate, they’re just close together and I’ve been getting a lot of people wanting single head frags and it’s almost impossible. I figured I’d throw it out there. I was thinking about letting the colony just sit for awhile and see if it helps.

OP
OP
B

bigmoose52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed your torch? Im trying to get mine to grow!
Sorry for the late response, I try to dose phyto a couple times a week. reef roids randomly lol. Maybe Once a week. I use less water with the reef roids to keep them on the thicker side and you can just drop some on every coral. I make sure to drop a mysis on the heads mainly when I feed my fish. Once they have a few heads it seems to happen quicker. They’re in one of my smaller tanks, I try to let the tank do its thing and just maintain numbers with weekly wc. And just keeping an eye on how everything is looking.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The simple and short answer is no.
if they are happy and growing thats gonna be it, you won’t speed up their growth by any significant amount.

what I can suggest though, is try using a band saw to cut them apart rather than bone clippers as that will give you a very clean and precise cut so you COULD cut between the heads that are already split without negatively effecting the whole colony

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back