Is there a way to reduce the number of DOS doses?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 DOSs running the Trident 4 part. I have the Neptune Trident as well controlling the system.

I followed Neptune's suggestions on:
and set it up as requested.

However it has spilt up the 10ml daily dose into 33 parts. Dosing like a drop of solution at a time it often just pools on the doser output on the sump and dries up.

Is there any way to kick down the number of times it doses a given chemical in a day?

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I recall correctly, when I set my trident to control my 2 part dosing, it had an option to just DOS at night. That might reduce the number of doses as it shortens the timeframe it will dose. If you don't want the Trident to control you can set up a schedule to dose and the small volumes it wouldn't need to separate it out until multiple doses.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DOS always divides the amount equally over the time window you choose. The only ways to avoid this would be to either shorten the time window, create multiple short dosing intervals throughout the day, or create a DOS Profile and customize the programming to apply the profile at times of your choice. However, the Profile method does not work with Trident Controlled Dosing.

OP
OP
Yevoc

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I recall correctly, when I set my trident to control my 2 part dosing, it had an option to just DOS at night. That might reduce the number of doses as it shortens the timeframe it will dose. If you don't want the Trident to control you can set up a schedule to dose and the small volumes it wouldn't need to separate it out until multiple doses.
At this point I was following the recommendations.

"For Trident Controlled Dosing of calcium and magnesium supplements, Neptune Systems recommends as few intervals as possible to experience the best results; a single interval spanning the full 24-hour day is suggested for calcium and magnesium additives, and also for alkalinity dosing for aquariums with a relatively low to moderate rate of alkalinity consumption."

Not sure how far off script I can go.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I was following the recommendations.

"For Trident Controlled Dosing of calcium and magnesium supplements, Neptune Systems recommends as few intervals as possible to experience the best results; a single interval spanning the full 24-hour day is suggested for calcium and magnesium additives, and also for alkalinity dosing for aquariums with a relatively low to moderate rate of alkalinity consumption."

Not sure how far off script I can go.
For CA and MG a single dose per day day won't hurt anything as the take up rate on these two is really small. I dose MG every couple of weeks as needed. The one that you have to worry about big swings is Alk. I know that some who dose soda ash for Alk do all of it at night to offset the PH drop you see at night. Personally I dose all day long. I have one tank I have the trident controlling my dosing for for Alk and CA and have not changed the trident auto dosing but I am doing 50+ml day and have not had the issue of the solution drying up on my dosing tube.

Back