Is there a way to remove poll alerts in forum settings?

wwarby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to come across as not wanting to participate in the community of this forum, but I've noticed that most times when I log in, the bell icon on the forum has a number of notifications showing, and often they are for daily poll questions, they great majority of which I can't meaningfully participate in as a newbie with insufficient experience. I'd like that bell icon to only show me alerts for conversations I'm actively participating in. I've looked through the settings for notifications several times and experimentally turned off several of them, but none of the settings seem to relate to these polls. Is there a setting elsewhere I've missed, or have I accidentally subscribed to polls somehow?

OP
OP
wwarby

wwarby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Click on your avatar and then go to preferences. Uncheck the alerts/emails you don't want to receive.
Yeah that's where I've been looking, but I can't see any alert toggle in that list that describes the polls I'm seeing in my alert notifications.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BF0D6283-10F7-4261-B668-A292C7342152.jpeg

OP
OP
wwarby

wwarby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go into preferences in your profile. Uncheck any of the boxes for notifications you don't want, or all of them.
Yep - what I'm asking though specifically, is which notification box do I need to untick to remove the polls? there isn't one labelled "polls" or anything like it. I'm getting daily alerts for polls that I don't think I signed up to receive, and it's not obvious which switch I need to flip to turn them off. Obviously I could flip all the switches but that would turn off notifications for threads I've participated in, which I don't want to lose.

OP
OP
wwarby

wwarby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for example, see below. It's not obvious to me why I'm being alerted to a vote about how much I love or hate zoanthids. I don't think I've participated in any threads related to that poll or any other poll, but all the options in the profile preferences relate to notifications about my own activity or people communicating directly with me - these polls just don't seem to fit any of those descriptions.

1659974323144.png

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have that unchecked. To be clear I’m not getting these alerts by email, it’s in the forum software itself under the bell icon as shown in the screenshot I posted earlier.
I'm sorry. I looked at my settings and thought I remembered that unchecking the updates was how I stopped the alerts.
Maybe @Peace River can help?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm just seeing this, so I apologize for the delay. If you click on your account settings and go to "Join User Groups," you can join the Opt Out user group (see my screen shot) to opt out of our content alerts (including the Question of the Day). Hope that helps!

1660003383774.png

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think he’s talking about the question of the day. I also wish to not receive these.
Yes. See my comment above. That's how to opt out of those. :cool:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back