Is there an accepted "book of record" for information about individual fish?

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In most of my googling I'm finding info about fish from aquarium dealers -- which is helpful, but I prefer to get my info from people who don't have a vested economic interest in my purchase.

Any websites/wikis/ebooks/paper books that people are particularly fond of?

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishbase

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of info are you looking for? Though a vendor, live aquaria is a pretty good source. Scott Michael reef fishes book series is excellent, though some volumes never got published.

OP
OP
raketemensch

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of info are you looking for? Though a vendor, live aquaria is a pretty good source. Scott Michael reef fishes book series is excellent, though some volumes never got published.

Mainly care and feeding info, plus aggressiveness. I’ve been using LiveAquaria quite a bit, but the classifications on “herbivore” vs “carnivore” aren’t really enough info, I don’t think.

i usually use their info to find info about a few fish, then google up some real-world experiences with them, and was just wondering if someone had written a compendium of all of this info. It would be incredibly useful.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I refer back to the Scott Michael series all the time. Just unfortunate, as I noted, that a few of the final volumes got written but never published (including the volume on tangs). Some of it ended up in coral magazine though. Rudy Kuiter had a series of books on fishes that may be worth hunting down. Since I have all the books (I'm old) I generally don't bother with the online resources.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back