Is there any chance my torch will survive?

GP0801

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1638135269440.png

Hey guys, so long story short I made a dumb mistake yesterday. I bought this super nice torch coral ( I was told it's called an Ultra Dragon Soul Torch) and I tried to remove it from the plug right after a coral dip and ended up crushing the whole thing. It basically instantly shattered as soon as I put some pressure on it. As you can see there were about 4 pieces of it with polyps still on it so I rushed to get it in the tank as soon as I could to avoid any further stress. I glued down all of the pieces but what are my chances of any of these surviving?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They shouldn't be that brittle. I have held them before with slight pressure grip and removed the plug. The only time I had one shatter was showed up basically dead in shipping and the complete skeleton crumbled in my hand. Of course the big well known vendor said they take pictures of the coral showing perfect condition before they box it for shipping. When I asked to see these, they said they were accidentally deleted....yea right.

OP
OP
GP0801

GP0801

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah dang that's rough to hear. It's been 24 hours and they still had some color and some polyps were still inflated so I was hoping they might have a chance. Oh well, thanks everyone.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah dang that's rough to hear. It's been 24 hours and they still had some color and some polyps were still inflated so I was hoping they might have a chance. Oh well, thanks everyone.
If the mouth is still intact then, there’s always a slight chance for a miracle

Last edited:

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just leave 'em be. I've seen corals do the strangest things. Even months down the line the smallest bit of intact tissue can regenerate. You have nothing to lose by doing nothing at all.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small chance but possible. I have crushed some heads trying to frag them before. As someone said, they are porous at the head part and more hard through the stems.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back