is there any chance of getting a clam off a large rock?

manilaboy1vic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im looking to get rid of my clam but the rock hes on it pretty big.. i thinking i might have to hack saw that rock.... how long can a maxima be out of the water?? im thinking a new blade will go thru the rock pretty quick.. i might need to make two cuts tho..

Duraticate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about a year ago reefbuilders put a video on youtube about clams in palau and shares what clams go through in the proccess of propagation. If its a biggwr clam it should be hardy and handle being out of the water for a little bit. But clams have a foot and i would try using an icecube to massage the foor to get it to release. If you can get to the foot. Best of luck to ya

OP
OP
M

manilaboy1vic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i chisled the rock up.. he was outta water for like 10mins max. i poured a glass of tank water on him at like the 5min mark..

he starting to open up again.. the thing that worries me is the rock hes attached to now is cracked.. i feel like his foot is keep the two pieces together.. im gonna leave him be for now.. put it on the bottom.. hopefully enough light for him down there.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have carefully cut many clams off rocks they have attached to. Don't try if not comfortable, but you want to make sure they are fully retracted and the foot isn't down. Then just cut the byssal threads with a razor blade by sliding the blade under the clam being gentle to not pull on them. I have done this maybe a dozen times over the years.

OP
OP
M

manilaboy1vic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have carefully cut many clams off rocks they have attached to. Don't try if not comfortable, but you want to make sure they are fully retracted and the foot isn't down. Then just cut the byssal threads with a razor blade by sliding the blade under the clam being gentle to not pull on them. I have done this maybe a dozen times over the years.

yea i just dont know what to look for exactly.. i downsized the rock big time.. soon as this guy moves the cracked rock beneath him will be free, one piece at least.. then i can give him away or trade ...

ive had him a couple years.. he grown quite a bit since i first got him.. and im thinking this is the reason why im dosing so much in a little 68g tank.. 35ml of alk/cal seems like a lot for a 68g tank. two parts adds up year after year..

all i have is:

maxima clam
scoly
zoos
leathers
one turbo snail
one tuxedo urchin
BTAs
yuma ric

* that clam has to to be the reason my two part seems high.. i really want to see what happens when i get rid of him.... id love to just be dosing like 10ml a day opposed to 35ml a day.. then hopefully i wont have to clean pumps so much.. get him out of my tank.. he does look cool tho.. and my gf likes him, but im over it.. id rather add more zoos, just a full blown zoo tank.

i just added two small frags last week:

sunset monti
favites

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consumption will drastically drop off without him there! Figure every bit of shell mass he has gained, thickness too, has come from the 2 part. Pretty crazy.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This to a T.

OP
OP
M

manilaboy1vic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This to a T.
heh, spent a good amount of time looking for threads.. was hard to locate any threads.. im happy that the rock hes on is much smaller.. will make it easy for me to give away or possibly trade for frags at the LFS.. wasnt about to bring a 10lb rock to the LFS, lol..

Back