Is there ANY easier way to move your entire reef?

Am I a moron for doing it this way?

• Total voters

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tuxedo urchin carries around some clove polyps that I neglected to glue down, suction cups, whatever he can find.
2A174865-6423-4DDA-9613-1269FB119E38.jpeg
What sea urchin? ;)

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the upgrade.

My only criticism is using a dishwasher tablet. A 1:5 ratio of bleach and water is sufficient in the future!

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved a 55 to a 75 and it was terrible. I think you did a great job. You are lucky you could set up your new one before breaking down your old. I had to put my new tank where my old tank was so I had to break everything down, put everything into buckets and brute can, move the old tank out put the new tank in, plumb, fill, and then pull everything out of the buckets and put into the new. I thought I lost a shrimp along the way but she turned up.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the type of Reefer that:

1) a 6hr move is nothing. I spent 6hrs just doing major maintenance once a month

2) doing a major project is actually ENJOYABLE bc I get to use my hands and tinker.... and get to use my brain to correct some wrongly engineered stuff.

3) a major project allows me "quiet time with myself". My family knows to leave me alone when in ProjectMode!

I definitely wouldn't label a 6hr move as "hellish". Buts that's me....

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems legit but I would have been very nervous about the dishwashing tablet. I moved my 120 Gallon reef between homes 6 years ago. It took all day and involved a 30 minute drive between houses. The tank plumbing had to be hacksawed apart and re-built at the destination. I had to get an inverted to run an air pump and set up an air tube manifold in my car so all the fish wouldn’t use up all the oxygen in the buckets in the back of my hatchback. That was a job and a half!

U

User1

View Badges
No idea outside of planning. I have a 210 gallon in my den that I'd love to move 20 or so inches to the left to center on the wall and I feel hopeless. I had one idea when I set the tank but that has since changed and I'd love to move it. Seems like a lot of work to either empty and slide or use a two ton car jack to use moving casters. So it stays.

Jpconer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving a tank is never fun but that all sounded like a piece of cake compared to what I'm facing in less than a week. I'm scheduled to move about 20+ miles and have a Red Sea max250 and a 450 gallon fowlr tank to move beginning this sat.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving a tank is never fun but that all sounded like a piece of cake compared to what I'm facing in less than a week. I'm scheduled to move about 20+ miles and have a Red Sea max250 and a 450 gallon fowlr tank to move beginning this sat.

Not to hijack this thread, best advice - plan each step (write each step down if you have to) and take your time. When I moved my two tanks I had pads of info I wrote out and added, shifted orders, etc. Think the process threw then double check it. You'll be patting yourself on the back for doing so.

OP
OP
SimplyVibing

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dishwashing tablet? Soap residue can kill fish. What you mean by minerals? You mean from the hose/tap water? I rinse stuff in tap all the time, its such a little amount, it won't matter.

I don't drip anything but starfish or other super sensitive stuff. Never had a problem.

It does sound like hell... lol :) I just move over the old water + add new salt water mixed up to temp and toss everything in (replace the sand bed)... annnnd done :)

I used to be paranoid but after 10+ years in the hobby and none of the crap I used to be paranoid ever making any difference... I don't sweat it anymore.

Mineral spirits is a kind of coating you put on wood. Super duper toxic and EXTREMELY hard to remove! Weighing some soap residue vs mineral spirits, I went with soap. I was really against it but dad does what he wants and honestly already had the tablet in there when I saw what was happening lol. The fish are A Ok!

OP
OP
SimplyVibing

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the type of Reefer that:

1) a 6hr move is nothing. I spent 6hrs just doing major maintenance once a month

2) doing a major project is actually ENJOYABLE bc I get to use my hands and tinker.... and get to use my brain to correct some wrongly engineered stuff.

3) a major project allows me "quiet time with myself". My family knows to leave me alone when in ProjectMode!

I definitely wouldn't label a 6hr move as "hellish". Buts that's me....

I definitely prefer just watching the fish to maintenance. Somehow I always end up stung, bitten, and soaked

Back