Is there any Halichoeres Wrasse that doesn't eat snails??

Shibaken3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was planning on getting a yellow coris wrasse but did some research and found they might eat small snails. Is there any other wrasse in the Halichoeres family that doesn't eat snails? IF this family do eats snails which one is the most unlikely one to eat snails? Thanks for reading!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was planning on getting a yellow coris wrasse but did some research and found they might eat small snails. Is there any other wrasse in the Halichoeres family that doesn't eat snails? IF this family do eats snails which one is the most unlikely one to eat snails? Thanks for reading!
They may however if you stick to the smaller Halichoeres, chances of them eating snails is lower.
But in a simple way of answering the question;
No. All Halichoeres species will potentially go after your snails.

OP
OP
Shibaken3

Shibaken3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may however if you stick to the smaller Halichoeres, chances of them eating snails is lower.
But in a simple way of answering the question;
No. All Halichoeres species will potentially go after your snails.
Thx for the reply, I wanted one but I might have to pass and get a different wrasse that doesn't eat small snails.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't let my poor sand sifter snails go. I love them coming out of the sand when I feed.
Sand sifters are often off the menu. I have an article on Halichoeres and it goes over what snails are safest with this species (I actually have a few articles on Wrasses as well as some Gobies).

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't let my poor sand sifter snails go. I love them coming out of the sand when I feed.
Eh, nassarius snails do fine. I have several in both tanks. They forage for the most part after lights out when your halichoeres wrasses are bedded down.

OP
OP
Shibaken3

Shibaken3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand sifters are often off the menu. I have an article on Halichoeres and it goes over what snails are safest with this species (I actually have a few articles on Wrasses as well as some Gobies).
will check out ur article thx u!
Eh, nassarius snails do fine. I have several in both tanks. They forage for the most part after lights out when your halichoeres wrasses are bedded down.
ok that's cool, what wrasse do u have? for reference

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a melanurus, red coris, and Xmas wrasse (Halichoeres Claudia). Those three are same genra, same tank.
The Red Coris Wrasse is not from the Halichoeres genus. The Red Coris Wrasse is a true coris from the genus Coris, which is a much more aggressive genus of wrasse and as they age they can become terrors.
Wrasses that are often called Coris Wrasses but are not actually part of the genus Coris (Causing them to be the false Coris Wrasses) are these two;
Halichoeres chrysus (Yellow “Coris” Wrasse) and the much larger Halichoeres chloropterus (Green “Coris” Wrasse). These two Halichoeres are usually sold in the trade under the name Coris, I have never understood why though. Potentially due to their looks or maybe due to Halichoeres potentially being closer to the Coris genus.

Seymo44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A red lined wrasse (h. biocellatus) stays smaller, at around 4”. These might be too small to eat many of the snails that would be in danger with a melanurus. I have no personal experience with these fish; I just know that they stay smaller.

OP
OP
Shibaken3

Shibaken3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A red lined wrasse (h. biocellatus) stays smaller, at around 4”. These might be too small to eat many of the snails that would be in danger with a melanurus. I have no personal experience with these fish; I just know that they stay smaller.
nice point. I might get the red line wrasse instead of the yellow wrasse bc of its max size.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Coris Wrasse is not from the Halichoeres genus. The Red Coris Wrasse is a true coris from the genus Coris, which is a much more aggressive genus of wrasse and as they age they can become terrors.
Wrasses that are often called Coris Wrasses but are not actually part of the genus Coris (Causing them to be the false Coris Wrasses) are these two;
Halichoeres chrysus (Yellow “Coris” Wrasse) and the much larger Halichoeres chloropterus (Green “Coris” Wrasse). These two Halichoeres are usually sold in the trade under the name Coris, I have never understood why though. Potentially due to their looks or maybe due to Halichoeres potentially being closer to the Coris genus.
Huh. I learned something new. Wish I had the time to learn it all... I've been misinformed for a LONG time.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh. I learned something new. Wish I had the time to learn it all... I've been misinformed for a LONG time.
We all start somewhere :)
There’s two different Coris species that I know can go under the name “Red Coris Wrasse” with the most common being Coris gaimard. The other is Coris formosa but the main common name for that species is “Queen Coris” and it deserves it haha.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice point. I might get the red line wrasse instead of the yellow wrasse bc of its max size.
Halichoeres leucoxanthus also remains smaller. If you want I can list all the ones that I can think of off the top of my head that retain that smaller size.

OP
OP
Shibaken3

Shibaken3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoeres leucoxanthus also remains smaller. If you want I can list all the ones that I can think of off the top of my head that retain that smaller size.
a list of them will be nice. ill put leucoxanthus in my stock list and the red line and whichever one I stumble on at my LFS first is the one I will get.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a list of them will be nice. ill put leucoxanthus in my stock list and the red line and whichever one I stumble on at my LFS first is the one I will get.
- Halichoeres timorensis
- Halichoeres leucoxanthus
- Halichoeres iridis
- Halichoeres chrysus
- Halichoeres biocellatus
- Halichoeres cosmetus
- Halichoeres pelicieri
These are just the ones I can think of and they range in difficulty due to shipping as well as rarity. Here’s my smaller Halichoeres (I do also have a Halichoeres chloropterus but he will happily try to snack on a flipped snail).
0077E1E2-23C8-44B0-90F6-675E16C0FF31.jpeg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone explain the difference between the Yellow Coris wrasse vs Yellow Silver belly Coris wrasse? @i cant think our resident expert?
Different species. Yellow "Coris" is Halichoeres chrysus, and the other is Halichoeres leucoxanthus.

They are close cousins, you might call them sister species. Basically the same in every way except some color variation. Similar to Red Sea Desjardin sailfin tang vs Indian ocean Z. velifer.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back