Is there any paint that is safe to paint the top of a return pipe?

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up an SGA tank and it came with the overflow pipes. YAY! But the top of the return pipe that T's off the two loc lines to the tank is white. I would like to paint it black so it "disappears". Is there any paint that would be safe to use? This piece is not submerged, so does not TECHNICALLY come in contact with the water, but I'm sure has incidental contact.

Thoughts?

1WildBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a painter, there’s really not a lot you can put on it without affecting the water. I take it your tank is set up.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv'e used purple pvc cleaner before It looks purple but not a stark as white. Not sure if the primer is toxic. I wouldn't think so .

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture of the piece? Honestly some black krylon spray paint will do the trick, just let it cure for 24 hours before installing. And yes if possible as @Greybeard had said below, if you can find the piece you need in black PVC that would be the best route.

Last edited:

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Krylon Fusion. Note: This is ABOVE the water line, and cured for several days before being installed.

Honestly, if I had to do it over again, I'd just buy black PVC.

ReturnAndLight.jpg

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! I'll take a pic tonight (meant to take one this am). Tank is set up in place, but just in the making water filling stage, so not "running" and I can easily take this piece out to either swap or paint. I'll SEE if I can find it in black. I think would be a special order deal if so.

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are awesome! Esp. you Greybeard! Looked at the fitting and it is just a 1" T and some couplers. Looked at the link and they have those parts there. Totally going that route.

THANK YOU!

Back