Is there any real benefit to full spectrum lighting?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, certain components of a “white light” are at a lower magnitude at that depth, or that’s what some people will want you to believe.
No that is a physics fact .
images

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an interesting article on this topic. In particular the role of various wavelengths in photosynthesis, fluorescence and color protein growth.

Great article has someone buy their leds?

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full spectrum is very important to maximize coral growth and bring out coloration. ReefWholesale has a decent write up on their conclusions for radion spectrums that worked best for each type of coral.

If you look up spectrums for the most respected coral vendors (WWC, jason fox, reef raft, battlecorals, etc) all of them use full spectrum in some way. There is significant variation in how much from (T5 equivalent) 30 FS 70 Act to 10 FS 90 Act.

Some of the best tanks I have seen in person use AB+ schedule radions or 14k halides with reef Brite strips or a T5 halide hybrid with actinics for some extra blue.
Where can I find this write up?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another graph by someone who has not been at that depth to speak from experience.

That's the problem with graphs and data points with no experience, you can pretend to know but until you experience it you don't.

It's like reading 20 books on riding a bike, but never actually having seen a bike, in the end you will not know how to ride it.

OP
OP
SilvermistInc

SilvermistInc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another graph by someone who has not been at that depth to speak from experience.

That's the problem with graphs and data points with no experience, you can pretend to know but until you experience it you don't.

It's like reading 20 books on riding a bike, but never actually having seen a bike, in the end you will not know how to ride it.
Didn't I link a video earlier that showed what happened to most of the spectrum under water?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have dived to 80 ft...

You can make the argument that the corals we tend to keep are more likely to inhabit the top 10m where the effect is much less pronounced, but you can't make the case that seawater reduces the intensity of UV and IR light disproportionately to the lesser reduction in blue and green. That is a fact of physics.

The posting of the graph is to make it easier for those who have no background in physics to understand. If I bring up differential photon refraction, you might get confused.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dived to 80 ft...

You can make the argument that the corals we tend to keep are more likely to inhabit the top 10m where the effect is much less pronounced, but you can't make the case that seawater reduces the intensity of UV and IR light disproportionately to the lesser reduction in blue and green. That is a fact of physics.

The posting of the graph is to make it easier for those who have no background in physics to understand. If I bring up differential photon refraction, you might get confused.

Two of the main components that modulate UV attenuation in the water column are phytoplankton and chromophoric dissolved organic matter (CDOM)....Phytoplankton and CDOM both modulated UV attenuation, but CDOM was found to be the key driver despite the lack of riverine inputs.

Last edited:

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone done an experiment with full spectrum and actinic in regards to nuisance algae and cyano growth?

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral biologist in the Coral Sea told us that UV and usable IR can get to 10m out where the coral is - they try and keep their AQ sites around 5m for both the light and also that they can be maintained with hoses and mouthpieces. Keep in mind that am mostly interested in acropora so that is all that I asked about.

I am pretty sure that all of these get a pretty wide spectrum. Dude said that they can cut out a 10-12 inch section from some of these and you cannot even tell a few weeks later. This is not my photo and this area is protected, but this is pretty typical of where most acropora come from... waist deep, or shallower.
Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 4.42.00 PM.png

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The article about uv and the redsea is believable to me. I've spent a good amount of time under the redsea at depthand will say that it gets full spectrum pretty dam deep. It's also the home to some of the most beautiful reefs in the world.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral biologist in the Coral Sea told us that UV and usable IR can get to 10m out where the coral is - they try and keep their AQ sites around 5m for both the light and also that they can be maintained with hoses and mouthpieces. Keep in mind that am mostly interested in acropora so that is all that I asked about.

I am pretty sure that all of these get a pretty wide spectrum. Dude said that they can cut out a 10-12 inch section from some of these and you cannot even tell a few weeks later. This is not my photo and this area is protected, but this is pretty typical of where most acropora come from... waist deep, or shallower.
Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 4.42.00 PM.png
Vid from Reefbums states things like that are fairly rare..not sure about that.

Seems there are a bunch of them if you google "exposed coral flats"
Of course many are pretty ugly..

Reef-Air-Exposure-a-Reef-exposed-during-low-tide-in-Kaneohe-Bay-Picture-Credit.JPG

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are better than this. Even people who reef on Google should be able to know that there are no significant acros in Hawaii. Those ugly porites, or whatever they are, are probably thriving and just not all that pretty. Google even has photos of miles and miles of acropora exposed at tide all over the South Pacific.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back