Is there any real benefit to full spectrum lighting?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vid from Reefbums states things like that are fairly rare..not sure about that.

Seems there are a bunch of them if you google "exposed coral flats"
Of course many are pretty ugly..

Reef-Air-Exposure-a-Reef-exposed-during-low-tide-in-Kaneohe-Bay-Picture-Credit.JPG

You post a lot of reefbum videos, any reason? Most of those youtube influencer know very little about reefs in the wild or even in the hobby to be honest. Most make videos to turn profits.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are better than this. Even people who reef on Google should be able to know that there are no significant acros in Hawaii. Those ugly porites, or whatever they are, are probably thriving and just not all that pretty. Google even has photos of miles and miles of acropora exposed at tide all over the South Pacific.
Yes their ability to not die under adverse conditions is an ecological advantage . It does not mean that is a HEALTHY environment for them.
So why not drain your tank say for 2 hours every day. Would be pretty stupid on a number of levels wouldn't it?

Why do you distrust Tuillo in the above?
I've NEVER asked you to believe me alone that is for sure.
He flat out said never to put UV over your tank.
Of course there is a level of extremes here.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes their ability to not die under adverse conditions is an ecological advantage . It does not mean that is a HEALTHY environment for them.
So why not drain your tank say for 2 hours every day. Would be pretty stupid on a number of levels wouldn't it?

Why do you distrust Tuillo in the above?
I've NEVER asked you to believe me alone that is for sure.
He flat out said never to put UV over your tank.
Of course there is a level of extremes here.
Same goes for heavy blue vs fuller spectrum. Just because they survive doesn't mean they are healthy or happy.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You post a lot of reefbum videos, any reason? Most of those youtube influencer know very little about reefs in the wild or even in the hobby to be honest. Most make videos to turn profits.
Well because they "fit"...and there opinions have way more validity than mine.
Sorry to say this but they, to me, have a lot more validity than you have.
It really isn't for those who are doggedly committed to their beliefs but for others to do "due diligence"..

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good write-up here. Notable points.

- red is detrimental to coral and needs significant attenuation to maximize growth. This is because red oxidizes zooxanthellae and causes it to be expelled much more than other wavelengths. It also promotes algae growth since that is a large Chlorophyll B peak.
- increasing wavelengths that are blue or close to blue (ie green and violet) increases the rate of photosynthesis before zooxanthellae expulsion occurs compared to "full spectrum"

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same goes for heavy blue vs fuller spectrum. Just because they survive doesn't mean they are healthy or happy.
Heavy blue increases peak photosynthesis, see writeup linked in previous post (his writeup includes study links). I can confirm this anecdotally because every halide user I have ever met had better success with hybrid versions using MH + T5 actinic or MH + reefbrite compared to halides alone. I personally saw better growth with my AI SOLs at 70 Royal 70 Blue 30 white than I did with 60 royal 60 blue 60 white.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well because they "fit"...and there opinions have way more validity than mine.
Sorry to say this but they, to me, have a lot more validity than you have.
It really isn't for those who are doggedly committed to their beliefs but for others to do "due diligence"..
Their opinions are market based, to promote products for profit. Most of them are not in the hobby for anything else then to make easy money off videos. Look at their time in the hobby and most are very minimal let alone real experience or knowledge. You can put your faith in anyone you want that's your prerogative, but please don't take influences at face value.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like me some ReefBum and Reef Beef depending on the guest. Never miss if Bingman or if somebody really smart is on... and a few hobbyists are much watch for me. I don't have time to watch them all. I have not see this one, but Tullio extolls the virtues of UV in his facts of light video and his MH bulbs have the normal amount of UV in them. ...something is amiss, but I don't really have time to dig into it. AFAIK, all of the hosts have reefs at different levels, or at least had one - I don't appreciate some of their methods all of the time, but they are usually transparent and you can compare their experiences to yours to usually learn something.

I don't consider these folks on the same level as like ReefBuilders whose reviews and recommendations are based solely on advertisement, or so it seems.

I don't care if any of them make any money - good for them as long as they are honest and don't make any dishonest mistakes or lie or anything.

Edited to include Bingman, who I mistyped at first.

Last edited:

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like me some ReefBum and Reef Beef depending on the guest. Never miss if Borneman or if somebody really smart is on... and a few hobbyists are much watch for me. I don't have time to watch them all. I have not see this one, but Tullio extolls the virtues of UV in his facts of light video and his MH bulbs have the normal amount of UV in them. ...something is amiss, but I don't really have time to dig into it. AFAIK, all of the hosts have reefs at different levels, or at least had one - I don't appreciate some of their methods all of the time, but they are usually transparent and you can compare their experiences to yours to usually learn something.

I don't consider these folks on the same level as like ReefBuilders whose reviews and recommendations are based solely on advertisement, or so it seems.

I don't care if any of them make any money - good for them as long as they are honest and don't make any dishonest mistakes or lie or anything.
Yeah reef builders aka Jake Adam does seem to be 90% advertisers based, but he also has a degree in marine biology and has actually been to many of the indo/ Australia reefs. Far more then most of them can say. Most seem to be pretending to be talking facts while instead subliminally pushing products.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious, if the blue spectrum is superior and the other spectrums can inhibit growth, why do we see so much more thick and diverse coral coverage at shallow depths than we do at say, 80 feet? Shouldn’t we see the thickest and healthiest coral coverage where the blue spectrum shines alone/ Where the red spectrum isn’t inhibiting growth?

I think it’s clear the majority of the photosynthetic corals definitely prefer the shallow waters.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious, if the blue spectrum is superior and the other spectrums can inhibit growth, why do we see so much more thick and diverse coral coverage at shallow depths than we do at say, 80 feet? Shouldn’t we see the thickest and healthiest coral coverage where the blue spectrum shines alone/ Where the red spectrum isn’t inhibiting growth?

I think it’s clear the majority of the photosynthetic corals definitely prefer the shallow waters.
Grandslam!!!!!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"PAR" differences.
60ft... 25% of sunlight.

Take an Iwasaki 6500k bulb ...Has been shown to actually contain more " blue" than " blue" halides.

Heavy red light is err unnatural at any depth really.

Not sure the majority of corals prefer shallow water.
"Colonies were found to be 11.2% more abundant at mesophotic (40–100 m; 55.6%) depths compared with shallow (5–30 m; 44.4%). The coral taxa exhibited heterogeneity in their size-structure, with marked differences among depths, morphological growth forms, and species." Branching and corymbose corals were more prevalent in shallow waters, while encrusting and laminar forms comprised the majority of mesophotic corals......It is widely accepted that mesophotic coral species have slower growth rates than their shallow congeners, since light, the primary energy source, is decreasing exponentially with depth

Last edited:

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"PAR" differences.
60ft... 25% of sunlight.

Take an Iwasaki 6500k bulb ...Has been shown to actually contain more " blue" than " blue" halides.

Heavy red light is err unnatural at any depth really.

Not sure the majority of corals prefer shallow water.

Since you don't keep reefs from my understanding on other threads, these mean that the branching corals, acro ect are found at shallower water , high light/ fuller spectrum,
Where as favia, monti, micromustos ect are in deeper lower light areas that's already widely known info. Doesn't mean that the full spectrum isn't used or wont help with growth, just lower par is where they are adapted to.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you don't keep reefs from my understanding on other threads, these mean that the branching corals, acro ect are found at shallower water , high light/ fuller spectrum,
Where as favia, monti, micromustos ect are in deeper lower light areas that's already widely known info. Doesn't mean that the full spectrum isn't used or wont help with growth, just lower par is where they are adapted to.
acrodepth-jpg.2684860

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw..for obvious reasons I made no " judgement" on the orig. question.
Besides it would be a " depends" anyways...;)

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont understand your point in that post? It's about coral bleaching, not coral preferred growing depths. Are you trying to use that data to show where coral species grow? If thats the case I think you misunderstand what we are saying. Yes acro grow at depths below 25meters, but if you compare the amount of acro growing at shallower full spectrum light to the ones growing at deeper depths you would realize the vast majority is in shallower water.

It's like ants in freshwater, the same species may grow at anywhere from 50m to waters edge, but the vast majority of growth will be found in the shallower water.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont understand your point in that post? It's about coral bleaching, not coral preferred growing depths. Are you trying to use that data to show where coral species grow? If thats the case I think you misunderstand what we are saying. Yes acro grow at depths below 25meters, but if you compare the amount of acro growing at shallower full spectrum light to the ones growing at deeper depths you would realize the vast majority is in shallower water.

It's like ants in freshwater, the same species may grow at anywhere from 50m to waters edge, but the vast majority of growth will be found in the shallower water.
Corollary to the other paper I posted.
Answer ..it depends.
Which corals?
Looks like some Acroporas are not found in " shallow" waters.
Granted not the majority.
The op did not specify which species.

Anyways ..Size distribution by species and depth. Draw your own conclusions, which is usually my point
fmars-07-00615-g004.jpg

As far as "I" was concerned the discussion could have stopped at post 18...

Last edited:

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corollary to the other paper I posted.
Answer ..it depends.
Which corals?
Looks like some Acroporas are not found in " shallow" waters.
Granted not the majority.
The op did not specify which species.

Anyways ..Size distribution by species and depth. Draw your own conclusions, which is usually my point
fmars-07-00615-g004.jpg
That's common knowledge, deep water acros are named that because of where they are found.https://reefbuilders.com/2016/01/14/a-parade-of-bali-deepwater-acropora/#:~:text=Deepwater%20acropora%20are%20a%20category,like%20it%20does%20in%20Bali.

They are less common in the hobby, mostly due to the plain look they have. Most are fairly cheap, even though are harder to collect/keep. Instead most of the acro kept in the hobby, and almost all the highend are collected in shallower full spectrum light depths.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's common knowledge, deep water acros are named that because of where they are found.https://reefbuilders.com/2016/01/14/a-parade-of-bali-deepwater-acropora/#:~:text=Deepwater%20acropora%20are%20a%20category,like%20it%20does%20in%20Bali.

They are less common in the hobby, mostly due to the plain look they have. Most are fairly cheap, even though are harder to collect/keep. Instead most of the acro kept in the hobby, and almost all the highend are collected in shallower full spectrum light depths.
Again who decided it was about acros?

Back