Is there any real benefit to full spectrum lighting?

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be simple to get the answer instead of debate this some years more ,we just need a few people with big tanks that can tested it. One side of the tank full spectrum on side not,put the same frags on both side and then compare the weight growth and color.
So some volunteers?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be simple to get the answer instead of debate this some years more ,we just need a few people with big tanks that can tested it. One side of the tank full spectrum on side not,put the same frags on both side and then compare the weight growth and color.
So some volunteers?
Perhaps BRS can setup several cubes this way no light shed affecting the results.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly - where should the extra photons come from?

Sincerely Lasse
Unfortunately the blue heavy proponents fail to grasp that concept when they start trying to push the blue spectrum is natural for how reefs look in the wild.

They believe that strong blue light is what coral live in in the wild so is their preferred spectrum. Show them pics or videos of how actual wild reefs look, and they claim it's camera lights, filters ect ect. Or the coral are living in conditions that are not optimal for them, even though those conditions are exactly what the corals chose to live in.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some volunteers?
That will only show growth, not choice.

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the point? Use a quality light source that provides the look you like and a sufficient intensity for the corals you want to keep. As long as it’s reasonable and stable, the corals will adjust and do just fine. Then move on to more important issues like nutrition and flow.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the point? Use a quality light source that provides the look you like and a sufficient intensity for the corals you want to keep. As long as it’s reasonable and stable, the corals will adjust and do just fine. Then move on to more important issues like nutrition and flow.
At the end of the day if a newbie asks me the question of whether they need full spectrum or not I would say "pick whatever looks best"

Mine is white during the day and blue in the morning and evening. Works for me. If you want your tank to showcase fluorescence then good. It certainly won't kill anything to do so.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of the day if a newbie asks me the question of whether they need full spectrum or not I would say "pick whatever looks best"

Mine is white during the day and blue in the morning and evening. Works for me. If you want your tank to showcase fluorescence then good. It certainly won't kill anything to do so.
Issue I have is so many push the blue spectrum is natural lie to newbies that don't know any better. It wasn't until the advent of atintic vho that people first realized corals fluorescence in crazy neon colors was even possible. Then when leds cam out they found out heavy blue leds triggered a similar effect. That is why blue heavy id a thing, not corals preferences or health

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why blue heavy is a thing, not corals preferences or health

Well who's in charge anyways?
;)
Your assumption that corals can't be healthy with heavy blues is at best unproven.

Maybe less healthy (how the heck do you judge that) maybe slower growth ( is just that, slower growth) but not unhealthy.

So stick a 6500k metal halide over it and look at a yellow tank that you can't stand the sight of. Gee what " fun"...

Sorry a bit sarcastic for effect.

If you want to get fancy pick specific corals and a depth and either build or find lights that emulate it.
Range is rather large.
acrodepth-jpg.2684860

You may not like the way it looks but oh well..

Screenshot_20220526-233318.png

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rumor has it this is one of the more successful reef lights.
Based on " full spectrum daylight" how close does it match it?
ati-blue-plus-t5-bulb-60-80w-by-ati.jpg

Last edited:

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well who's in charge anyways?
;)
Your assumption that corals can't be healthy with heavy blues is at best unproven.

Maybe less healthy (how the heck do you judge that) maybe slower growth ( is just that, slower growth) but not unhealthy.

So stick a 6500k metal halide over it and look at a yellow tank that you can't stand the sight of. Gee what " fun"...

Sorry a bit sarcastic for effect.

If you want to get fancy pick specific corals and a depth and either build or find lights that emulate it.
Range is rather large.
acrodepth-jpg.2684860

You may not like the way it looks but oh well..

Screenshot_20220526-233318.png
Only assumptions I see being made is by you.
Tell me do you run heavy blue over your planted tanks?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only assumptions I see being made is by you.
Tell me do you run heavy blue over your planted tanks?
I have, growth was great.. look not so much
3 10w multichip. 1/3 actinic 2/3 14000k white

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Plus is not full spectrum. You do know that right? Coral plus or aquablue special are closer to gull spectrum.
And blue plus is not successful?
Well news to me .
I look at spectrums, like Tuillo does, not assumptions.

Btw quantify " close".

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back