Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Coralgod69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also interested in getting an automatic water changer, but didn't want issues with my top off. I have a 40 gallon tank and only change out 10% throughout the week. I have been using a regular cheap jebao dosing pump and have noticed that it works just fine. for a larger water changes, these guys may not last long because they aren't meant to run continuously. But for smaller tanks with smaller water changes, they do their job.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also interested in getting an automatic water changer, but didn't want issues with my top off. I have a 40 gallon tank and only change out 10% throughout the week. I have been using a regular cheap jebao dosing pump and have noticed that it works just fine. for a larger water changes, these guys may not last long because they aren't meant to run continuously. But for smaller tanks with smaller water changes, they do their job.
The AWC autoaqua water change system is good for smaller tanks. It has 3 pumps including the one for auto top off. The auto top off is shut off while the water change is happening.

OP
OP
Artimusclyde1974

Artimusclyde1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far away is your tank from the stored water and how far vertically does it need to go?
The new water is like on the other side of the wall level with the tank
The drain would need to go up the wall and across my laundry room to the drain about 15’ including up and down walls

OP
OP
Artimusclyde1974

Artimusclyde1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I guess I can just get some cheap pumps and just make an system I manually turn on and off just so long as I don’t have to do any thing but turn it all on and off

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I guess I can just get some cheap pumps and just make an system I manually turn on and off just so long as I don’t have to do any thing but turn it all on and off

If you have an apex, its probably easiest/safest/best to get a DOS, if you dont have an apex, ecotech just released their versa dosing pumps that are amazing looking, and would be great for setting up auto water changes using their free mobius app, highly recommend looking into that option if you dont have an apex.

Jbod77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Coralgod69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system is 170g total volume

I haven't noticed much salinity shift with my system. And it's just one dual head doser (cheap jebao$35). One head removes water from one chamber, while at the same time the other head adds new water. The ato doesn't trigger since water level is stable for the most part. Again, probably not optimal w a large system unless you buy a heavy duty doser that can last continual usage.

The doser runs daily for approximately 4min, which changes about 260ml, which equates to about 5gallons a week, for my 40g system.

Last edited:

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Auto Aqua is awesome and can handle any size tank so long as you're not trying to push water with excessive head pressure. The beauty of the AA is it also comes with the ATO and they work together so there's no errors. Like a separate ATO topping off during a water change. I mix my reservoir salt a tad bit saltier to offset skimming and acclimating corals and fish, but by and large my system's salinity is pegged at 35 ppt.

OP
OP
Artimusclyde1974

Artimusclyde1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Auto Aqua is awesome and can handle any size tank so long as you're not trying to push water with excessive head pressure. The beauty of the AA is it also comes with the ATO and they work together so there's no errors. Like a separate ATO topping off during a water change. I mix my reservoir salt a tad bit saltier to offset skimming and acclimating corals and fish, but by and large my system's salinity is pegged at 35 ppt.
I read a lot of reviews about it messing up I love the idea of it but if it’s going to fail or have issues I rather put that money somewhere else
How long have u used yours?

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i don’t use this, I use a DOS. But I would use this.

here is another popular brand.

corey

OP
OP
Artimusclyde1974

Artimusclyde1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s sooo expensive!
In the long run I’ll get somthing like that but I need to pay off my tank first hahaha

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back