Is there any reputable auto water change equipment

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding it sooooo with it. Extremely accurate and can do small changes but a large one in a pinch. Find a used one.
for the record, I love my DOS for AWC

Corey

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a lot of reviews about it messing up I love the idea of it but if it’s going to fail or have issues I rather put that money somewhere else
How long have u used yours?
3 months. It's never had a hiccup. Everyday like clock work my tank gets a small water change and the top off has never skipped a beat.

Like anything, I'd be cautious about reviews for more complex products. More often than not it's user error, poor installation or trying to get a product to do something it's not really capable of.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
top off is going this direction, will see about the AWC.
1579110457075.png

Gene Ashton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a lot of reviews about it messing up I love the idea of it but if it’s going to fail or have issues I rather put that money somewhere else
How long have u used yours?
I have used AA for top off only and want to hook up AWC but currently have to push water too far. It does have an option to extend wires to control outlets for higher rates pumps.

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started using this:
awc.jpg

So far I'm loving it. A bit skeptical still but it's been working great. Have used the ATO function for a month now with not a single hiccup. So I set up the other 2 pumps and have been auto water changing for the last week. Not a single hiccup either. I really like this unit, especially for the price.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to mention the Genesis Renew also. Buddy of mine had one (not sure if he still does) and was very happy with it. Largely supplanted by accurate peri dosers like the DOS as this point though. That's what I use.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE="MuffinMonster, post: 6948907, member:], ecotech just released their versa dosing pumps that are amazing looking, and would be great for setting up auto water changes using their
[/QUOTE]
Having seen the Ecotech in action it is a regular dosing pump and not made to move a large volume of water.
I use a Steiner dual head for years doing water changes. It was designed for this type of use. The DOS or GHL Maxi pump will do this job not problem. Be aware this size pump is noisy. So I would put the pump under the tank. But they can pump 25 feet so it’s easy to run lines to the tank
The Auto Aqua is very light weight unit. Not for any large tank.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone doing water changes from the basement, what are you using?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though it’s not set up yet, I will be using a Litermeter III with remote pump and WXM (water exchange module) for my AWC set up. I’m just trying to plan the set up and the location of my water water mixing station before hooking everything up. Although I have an Apex controller and a DOS for 2 part, I much prefer Spectrapure products for my ATO and AWC as their heavy duty pumps and pressure sensors for redundancy are second to none.

And yes, the peristaltic pumps on the Litermeter III will have no issues with pumping up from basements.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple of YouTube videos that helped me decide on the Litermeter III for AWC.

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE="MuffinMonster, post: 6948907, member:], ecotech just released their versa dosing pumps that are amazing looking, and would be great for setting up auto water changes using their
Having seen the Ecotech in action it is a regular dosing pump and not made to move a large volume of water.
I use a Steiner dual head for years doing water changes. It was designed for this type of use. The DOS or GHL Maxi pump will do this job not problem. Be aware this size pump is noisy. So I would put the pump under the tank. But they can pump 25 feet so it’s easy to run lines to the tank
[/QUOTE]
I agree, the Auto Aqua is a pretty light unit. The pumps are small and I've only used it short term. But I'll defend it, as I'm pumping my waste water 40some feet to the basement drain, no head height though. The pumps are tiny but quiet and can pump a gallon of water quick enough. I have that running one water change a day on my 60g but there is nothing saying it cant do 2 or 3 or 4 of those a day on a larger tank. Again I've only used it a short time but so far I like it.

Kjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on Neptune DOS. Pair with a well-sized RO storage bin and a salt mixing bin and you will never carry water or fumble with a mess of hoses again.

Agree that it is noisy - I mounted mine in a closet with the RO and booster pump. It's about 25ft from the tank. Works flawlessly. Worth it.

OP
OP
Artimusclyde1974

Artimusclyde1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[/QUOTE]
Is 170 to large? I also say u can use other pumps with $30 plug adapter per pump

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beware: I was happily using a DOS on my Apex for AWC for about a year and a half. Noted one day that my saltwater reservoir wasn't running down at it's normal rate, and did a quick checkup: DOS pump pulling water from the tank was working fine. DOS pump putting new saltwater back was crusted up, not pumping. ATO system did what it was intended to do, and kept the sump at it's normal level.

Salinity 1.012 when I noticed.

I'll do manual 10% changes from here on out, thanks. I've got it down to a science, takes me about 10 minutes. If I were to re-implement AWC, it would be with a salinity probe as a safety... and even then... I had one, didn't work well enough to trust it, so I tossed it.

OP
OP
Artimusclyde1974

Artimusclyde1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump would be in my laundry room just behind the tank it would have to be pretty loud to make it bother me
But it will be pulling water from my sump about 3’ then up over my doorway and across the wall about 13’ then down the other wall about 4’ that’s about 20feet with max hight of about 7’ could dps do this?

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DOS and a dual head Stenner are the two I have used. both worked perfectly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Artimusclyde1974

Artimusclyde1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wanted to just run pipes from my sump to my drains and salt tank and just plug one in till I’m happy with the amount of water I used then have the return salt water on a level sensor so I can’t over fill past correct amount
The ato could be on a simple flick switch so all I do is flick it off then water change then flick back on

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 170 to large? I also say u can use other pumps with $30 plug adapter per pump
[/QUOTE]
It doesn't matter how large the tank is for the AutoAqua. You set the two sensor for the volume you want to change. The top sensor also serves as the top of sensor. It moves far more water than any dosing pump, as long as you're not fighting a substantial head height or long distance run it would work fine.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AA also has built in alarms and timers if something goes wrong and the sensor is not triggered by liquid. It will shut the unit down until you intervene.

I would expect you could program fail safes like that for an Apex Dos as well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back