Is there anything wrong with tank with no internal overflow box, and only an external?

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I just ordered that tank in subject. It's rimless glass. The back panel has the overflow grid cut into the top edge. This spilled over into the outside overflow box. The water drains from here to the sump. Only thing I can think to make sure of is that the top of the teeth are lower than the top of the tank to prevent possibility of flooding due to clogged spaced in the overflow grid. I can't think of why an internal (low profile such as the 'ghost' etc) would be beneficial compared to the one I just described. I love the no internal box idea for obvious reasons.

Any reason I should go with an internal box instead?

TIA

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you described exactly what I have on my tank. Back panel has a narrow U cut out with a slotted panel to keep stuff in the tank. External overflow box with bean animal drain. This is on a 430 gallon tank. Love having no internal box in the tank. This tank has been running for 8 years now without an issue. Only way to go in my opinion.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with it. Generally speaking i think internal overflow boxes are probably a little cheaper to build and probably why they more common. Only negative to an external i can think of is if you want the tank sitting flush with the wall(assuming it not an overflow the full width of tank)

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm glad that there should be no issues compared to internal/external overflow route. I dont mind the space taken up by the rear box, the tank has a wall behind it and already I don't have my tanks flush on a wall in case I need to access it somehow, etc. I just need to make sure the top of the teeth are lower than the top of the glass to prevent overflow of the tank by clogged grid.
I have a gigantic overflow box in my current tank (being replaced buy the one here), was a total mistake among other f ups in my 'design' of it, on top of it being acrylic (ugh). So having 0 overflow (and back to glass) will be like night and day for this tank.
TY!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back