OP
OP
SRO-sales

SRO-sales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i took the powerhead cover off and placed it in the bottom of the tank hoping it would work itself out. it was pulled roughly 0.25" through the slots in the head cover.

Attachments

• anemone.jpg
    anemone.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 81

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. Sorry this happened to you. Give it some time to try and move off the cover. That would be a great sign. Then order anemone guards for your powerheads. I have MP40s and use the NemProtect guards. Every now and then a nem still wanders onto the guard so I just turn off the powerhead and it eventually moves off

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Nem doesn't look too bad. Removing the cover and placing it at the bottom of the tank was the right thing to do. It may move off the cover and it may thrive that way. Give it time.

The question is why did it move? Well, it was unhappy where it was. There was something deficient about its position in the tank prior to its move.

That it moved to the power head causes me to think one of two things (or maybe both):

1. It moved higher in the tank because current lighting doesn't penetrate the depth of your tank with enough PAR to satisfy it.

2. It moved in the direction of the source of water flow, possibly to get more flow.

What are your tank dimensions?
What lights do you currently use?
How many power heads do you have and how are they positioned?

OP
OP
SRO-sales

SRO-sales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Nem doesn't look too bad. Removing the cover and placing it at the bottom of the tank was the right thing to do. It may move off the cover and it may thrive that way. Give it time.

The question is why did it move? Well, it was unhappy where it was. There was something deficient about its position in the tank prior to its move.

That it moved to the power head causes me to think one of two things (or maybe both):

1. It moved higher in the tank because current lighting doesn't penetrate the depth of your tank with enough PAR to satisfy it.

2. It moved in the direction of the source of water flow, possibly to get more flow.

What are your tank dimensions?
What lights do you currently use?
How many power heads do you have and how are they positioned?
i have a 46gal bow front 35" x 15" x 18"
Not sure of the light, but it is a 36" Coral/Sun tube light. Actinic 420 maybe.
1 power head rated for 75gal i think.

The nem was probably 6"-7" from the top of the tank. See pic attached

Attachments

• anemone3.jpg
    anemone3.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 51

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One T5 may not be enough... I would take par reading if you can as @Dom alludes to...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A tank with an depth of 18" requires a good quality light to get a healthy amount of PAR penetration down to the bottom of the tank.

I'm unfamiliar with the light you mention. By any chance, was it part of an aquarium kit? You know; tank that included a light, hood, heater and filter?

Also, post a full tank shot so we can get a better idea of what you are working with. But take the pic during the peak of lighting so the tank pic isn't blued out.

OP
OP
SRO-sales

SRO-sales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank with an depth of 18" requires a good quality light to get a healthy amount of PAR penetration down to the bottom of the tank.

I'm unfamiliar with the light you mention. By any chance, was it part of an aquarium kit? You know; tank that included a light, hood, heater and filter?

Also, post a full tank shot so we can get a better idea of what you are working with. But take the pic during the peak of lighting so the tank pic isn't blued out.
Ok, so i added another T5 bulb, so there is a CoralBlue 460 and a WhiteLight in there now. Looks like the Anemone may be separating. Unfortunately i cannot run my powerhead until it does.

Attachments

• C57B125B-89BC-4D14-AA65-1772683D347B.jpeg
    C57B125B-89BC-4D14-AA65-1772683D347B.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 5ADDEFA5-6AFD-42D4-94EA-70A0F67B0E4B.jpeg
    5ADDEFA5-6AFD-42D4-94EA-70A0F67B0E4B.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 42

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so i added another T5 bulb, so there is a CoralBlue 460 and a WhiteLight in there now. Looks like the Anemone may be separating. Unfortunately i cannot run my powerhead until it does.
Ok good, this gives a good view of it, and good to hear it seems to be moving off. What is the 'White Light ' you added? Just a run of the mill T5 or something Reef related , what is its K rating? Is it in a separate fixture or same one as the Blue460? Reason I ask is ramp it slowly....maybe 2-3 hrs then expand it by an hour or 2 weekly, till it matches up with your Blue if possible. Otherwise the hard shift may induce algae bloom...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok. So it does look like your tank was a kit, sold in a retail store with "everything you need". That light that came with the kit is inadequate to keep what you have, happy. A light upgrade is in order.

I would also add a second power head, one on each side. Point them directly at each other to create the kind of chaotic flow anemones like.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good, this gives a good view of it, and good to hear it seems to be moving off. What is the 'White Light ' you added? Just a run of the mill T5 or something Reef related , what is its K rating? Is it in a separate fixture or same one as the Blue460? Reason I ask is ramp it slowly....maybe 2-3 hrs then expand it by an hour or 2 weekly, till it matches up with your Blue if possible. Otherwise the hard shift may induce algae bloom...
Good advice, but I think the lighting he has is inadequate. he can't be getting much par at the bottom. I think the Nem moved for a lack of light and flow.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice, but I think the lighting he has is inadequate. he can't be getting much par at the bottom. I think the Nem moved for a lack of light and flow.
Yup, agreed....wondering if it has reflector or not? How many lamps etc. A pic of the fixture would be great, even a model number to look up.....

OP
OP
SRO-sales

SRO-sales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the input. I will definitely invest in better lighting and more flow. As for the nem, it didn’t make it. Found it motionless when I got home from work yesterday. I’m going to reply to this post after I get the upgrades to get your opinions on the setup. Thanks for all your help.

RIP Anemone

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this. Are you
Thank you for all the input. I will definitely invest in better lighting and more flow. As for the nem, it didn’t make it. Found it motionless when I got home from work yesterday. I’m going to reply to this post after I get the upgrades to get your opinions on the setup. Thanks for all your help.
Are you SURE it’s dead? It looked far from dead in the post.

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 44 57.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%

Back