Is there Maple Syrup in my tank?!

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking for a Hanna Salinity Checker on-line and came across this. My head was trying to wrap around if there was something called Maple Syrup in aquariums that I didn't know about, lol. Had no idea they made checkers for anything other than aquariums.

Image result for hanna maple syrup checker

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a thread that gives a bit more info:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sugar makers use hydrometers/refractometers to measure density of the sap/syrup while boiling. Pretty cool they have have one for grading.

They also employ big RO systems, but in a different way. The "waste" is the concentrated sap ready for boiling while the clean water is the discard.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually wish they made a checker for honey

The digital honey refractometer is like $370.

but they are even offer dna and bacteria culture tests. Dna is so you can place a blueberry honey on your label, the culture tests are for American foul brood disease. If tests positive usda requires you to burn all your frames and hives that are infected, mind you there is a terrible smell that comes from an infected hive.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At my job there was a company that came out to do ground water testing for contaminants bc I work at an auto dealership, and years ago they had a fuel spill. So this company has to come out and test the ground every few years for contamination. I saw the guy sitting at a table with all these samples and I laughed when I saw all these different hanna testers in front of him. So I had to ask, and he told me that the tests kits are some of the most expensive and accurate outside of lab testing that they have available. He was actually surprised that I used hanna testers for my reeftank lol. So I wound up googling hanna to see what the test and man theres tons of testing equipment they offer not reef related. Which I always thought was pretty cool.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sugar makers use hydrometers/refractometers to measure density of the sap/syrup while boiling. Pretty cool they have have one for grading.

They also employ big RO systems, but in a different way. The "waste" is the concentrated sap ready for boiling while the clean water is the discard.

I live near some really big maple syrup producers (and dozens of small ones) when I first went on a tour I was really surprised how much it looked like a fish room. The biggest one has a large electronic board that will show where there is a clog in the miles of tubing around the trees.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back